PDA

View Full Version : Older Merc T shield question

MOP
12-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Looks like my kid will end up with the Alpha setup out of the 22, does an 86 have the same bolt pattern as a 1980. Just want to know what he is in for.

Phil

Pismo
12-20-2004, 02:23 PM
What's a T shield?

marcdups
12-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Phil, I believe that the R, MR and FIRST GEN were the same transom assembly, they changed with the GEN II.

MOP
12-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks from what I have read up here I thought that was the case.

Phil

gcarter
12-20-2004, 04:36 PM
The bolt patterns are EXACTLY the same. In fact my '86 Alpha Gen I has a Bravo inner transom plate. It simply has two extra bolt holes at the top. :yes:

MOP
12-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Good deal, part of the issue is he has the old style P/S unit, did not want him to have to change it out.
That will make it a bit easier, I am keeping my ram and exsisting steering for now, I will probably go to the 1/2 hyd. system if needed, I don't think I will be going fast enough for full a hyd setup. Some say yes and just as many say no, I don't care as long as it cruises fast. One thing most agree on is the BH cancels out most if not all of the steering torque. Won't know much about what I will need until I get some hours on it and can run it out.

Phil

Rootsy
12-20-2004, 07:44 PM
are we talking about the drive bolting to the transom assy bellhousing?

in 84 they changed the outline to the GEN I style... which is the same as the GEN II cept the bottom of the gen II is just a bit different in the exhaust passage...

I AM NOT SURE if the GEN I will bolt to the #1 transom assembly...

J

MOP
12-20-2004, 07:59 PM
are we talking about the drive bolting to the transom assy bellhousing?

in 84 they changed the outline to the GEN I style... which is the same as the GEN II cept the bottom of the gen II is just a bit different in the exhaust passage...

I AM NOT SURE if the GEN I will bolt to the #1 transom assembly...

J

Thanks Jamie if that turns out to be an issue I will do the Ebay dance and grab a later ram so he can use my inner plate. The lower pivot on his outer is shot, mine gimble is tight as as a new with no corrosion and -0- play anywhere. He runs offshore fishing I want him to have a decent setup under him. (Hmm still a mystery)

Phil