PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery set up question

p729lws
12-19-2004, 08:23 PM
I want to add dual batteries to a ’79 18’ 2+3. The current battery location is under the bench seat and it looks like it will be tight to locate duals there. What have other people done? I guess it would be OK to relocate them to the engine bay.

Also, what is the recommended battery type? I’m looking at running two of the Optima dual purpose batteries.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publ...pec_sheets.html

They are recommended for starting and deep cycle applications. Would it be better to use a starting battery for running and separate deep cycle battery while moored?

Thanks,
Dan

MOP
12-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I want to add dual batteries to a ’79 18’ 2+3. The current battery location is under the bench seat and it looks like it will be tight to locate duals there. What have other people done? I guess it would be OK to relocate them to the engine bay.

Also, what is the recommended battery type? I’m looking at running two of the Optima dual purpose batteries.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publ...pec_sheets.html

They are recommended for starting and deep cycle applications. Would it be better to use a starting battery for running and separate deep cycle battery while moored?

Thanks,
Dan

Opinion!
I would move them to the engine compartment, yes this will require some extra effort. My reasoning is these deep V boats like the weight aft they seem to run a bit faster with less trim setup that way. As far as batteries I would go worth an good battery of choice, just don't go overboard with rating. Using bigger than necessary shortens the life of the battery, I know I have done it and a few others will chime in having experienced the same thing.
You ask about being moored, I moored one of my boats for nearly ten years. I had one pump fused to each battery, one auto switch was mounted one inch above the other. By the time one bat ran down in a bad storm a fresh one was there to back it up, in the ten years it worked out fine. Yes during one hurricane both were damn near dead when I finally got out to the boat, but it had no water in the bilge. It is a good idea to run either a battery combiner or an isolator so both are kept up to par at all times. A good rule of thumb! run #1 battery on odd days and the #2 battery on even days if you decide not to use an isolator or combiner.

Phil