PDA

View Full Version : 496 Mag HO vs 496 Mag MPI

blueliner
12-19-2004, 03:46 PM
I was wondering, does anyone have an opinion on the difference between these two engines? I will be getting a 22' Classic and am on the fence. Do I need the extra HP?? (496 HO 425 HP vs. 496 MPI 375 HP) Is it worth the extra $4k. Also, what about fuel consumption, is there a big difference or at this point is it "who cares?" Any input from Donzi owners w/ Classics and these engines would be greatly appreciated.:canada: Steve

Happy Hoildays!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Fester
12-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I can run around most of the day on my HO for about $50-$100. I would guess that it probably runs about 15gph at WOT. Big difference in gas at 3500 rpm and 4700 rpm.

My opinion is to go with the HO. $4k now is nothing for the HP difference compared to the cost and work to improve the mag. You'll never regret the extra HP and you will soon be wanting even more.

ChromeGorilla
12-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Get the HO. If you dont you'll regret not getting it. If your spending almost 50K on a boat, 4k either way really aint a big deal. I got the HO and I am very pleased. Plus the closed cooling is standard on the HO and you get and upgraded drive as well. As far as fuel usage. Depends on how your running. I can get about 100 ish miles out of a tank if I ran between 3/4 and full throttle the entire way. The HO is most fuel efficient turnin 3500. Range on a full tank in a 22 is 150 miles turnin 3500. Which is good for about 55-56 mph.

Cuda
12-19-2004, 04:55 PM
I'd go with the HO. I think you'd be dollars ahead at the end, if you want to move up.

Ed Donnelly
12-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Your future comment;
"Damn if I had of got the HO that sucker would never have beat me" You can buy it now, or, buy it later....Ed

Dr. Dan
12-20-2004, 06:16 AM
:bonk: Buy the HO..... I have never heard anyone bragging about their Gas Mileage at the Docks...as they gaze at their "fuel efficient Donzi." It's ridiculous.....its like buying a new Mustang with a 6 cylinder....almost... like Ed suggested above.... you want the extra Horsepower when ya want it....I recently went from 330 horse 454 to a fuel Injected Healthy HP500 EFI, did my fuel consumption increase,absolutely, did the Fun Factor Increase...absolutely!!! :biggrin.:

There is never any substitute for pure naturally aspirated horsepower :rlol: ... your cruising speed will be improved, and your efficiency in all around boating pleasure will be increased.

The 496 HO is the best turn key performance package offered, that is not Racing based..... in a 22 Classic...it is the only way to go...when ordering new. For those of us less fortunate...we have to suck it up and take the scraps that fall off the garage floor...like my little squirrel cage...oh well...I'll try to keep up? :spit:

Good Luck

Doc :wink:

blueliner
12-21-2004, 12:06 AM
thanks for all your input. 496 HO it is. can't wait to get her. she is going to be one mean machine.

steve:canada:

thriller
12-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Steve

Where and when are you buying it? With the power options I take it you are buying new?
Just curious as I have sourced out all available dealers here and the best bet is buy south of the border even on new.

:canada:
Mike Miller

John W
12-21-2004, 11:08 PM
I was wondering, does anyone have an opinion on the difference between these two engines? I will be getting a 22' Classic and am on the fence. Do I need the extra HP?? (496 HO 425 HP vs. 496 MPI 375 HP) Is it worth the extra $4k. Also, what about fuel consumption, is there a big difference or at this point is it "who cares?" Any input from Donzi owners w/ Classics and these engines would be greatly appreciated.:canada: Steve

Happy Hoildays!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve I just got a 04 22 with the 496 HO engine. I say go for it. She runs about 71 with the gps or 76 with the speedo( for guests). I bought mine at Preferred power in Fairfield OH, talk to Bobby. There is an 04 with 8 hours on it with a myco trailer( blue hull I think ) at Offshore Performance on Kent Island in maryland, 49900.00.
Good luck and may the HO be with you.
happy Holidays
JW :smileybo: