PDA

View Full Version : Boat origionality effect on value

Mac
12-19-2004, 02:16 PM
In classic fiberglass boats how does the origionality of the power effect the value? What have poeple experienced who have repowered older boats with new power?
The reason I ask is I have an older Bertram 24' moppie, the boat came from the factory with either twin engines, 4 or 6 cylinder inlines, Mercruiser only or a single V8, either Mercruiser or Volvo. I am going to repower the boat, everything mechanical has to be replaced. Gas repower is the only option I am considering, the boat was origionally a twin 6 boat, the drives are 26" on center. The only choice to keep it origional like is twin 3L Mercruisers with counter rotating Alphas. The other option would be to have the transom glassed over and stringers reworked to fit a single engine, I was thinking of the 8.1L with a Bravo.

BUIZILLA
12-19-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure of your performance goal, but a pair of 4.3 4 barrel V6's would be nice. Thats a heavy boat ya got there and it takes a lot of oompfh to move it.

JH

Mac
12-19-2004, 03:58 PM
That is not an option as the engine area is too small and the drives are 26" on center, I wish it had the room for a pair of V6s or V8s.

Greg
12-19-2004, 04:52 PM
I considered that myself before I ripped into my Donzi. Leaking gas tank, transom and back part of the stringers in bad shape left me no choice I had to do something. Mine is a '66-18'. The engine and Volvo 200 were also in need of some serious servicing. The reason I chose to crank it up a notch is because it was just a 289 Interceptor with a 2bbl. carb. Had it been any of the H.M. packages or some type of limited edition (X-18 or an anniversary edition) I would have restored it back to stock. From what I have read here your boat is pretty rare. Also consider this two hopped up 6's = 1 hopped up v-12.

Morgan's Cloud
12-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Mac ,

A friend with a Bert 25 hardtop (a heavier, wider tub than your 24 moppie) repowered from a pair of inline 4 cylinder Volvos to a single 496ho Volvo DP earlier this year.

I swear that thing does over 50 with ease. ! (and that's with a horribly painted bottom)

Definitely consider that option !

Steve

olredalert
12-20-2004, 11:01 AM
--------A bunch of the "DONZI mistique" is wrapped up in speed. Its my feeling that the underpowered DONZIs that are out there (yup, they are out there) will not suffer from re-powering. More likely the value will be enhanced! With that said you arent talking DONZI, but I dont know any straight six combos that are available now to possibly use the same holes. Im rambling, but in the end its your boat and if I were you I wouldnt worry too much about value way down the road. Use a good combo that you trust and somebody will like it as much as you will when the time comes...........Bill S

gcarter
12-20-2004, 12:29 PM
It's my opinion that WHAT you do isn't as impotant as HOW WELL you do it. I think if someone modifies a boat as well as the factory (in quality) and the modification is useful (not as an answer to a question no one asked), then it should increase in value or at least stay the same. For instance I've thought a marinized version of the new twin cam GM I-6's would be interesting. They are kind of wide, at least in the auto version, but the power is good. Should be smooth running, at least compared to a V-6.

MOP
12-20-2004, 01:49 PM
An idea the Merc 6 can be replaced with the 292 6 that was used in trucks, all the marine stuff bolts right on. I know I did it on an Owens XL20 I had years back, I ran it bone stock it had very good torque stock with the truck cam and pulled 3-4 skiers no problem.

Phil