PDA

View Full Version : GEN-2 u-joint replacement

Zinger
12-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Hello all , has anyone replaced their u-joints with auto /truck type and know the part # ,also is 7 ft.lbs or torque the right setting for the yolk nut holding the bearing and gear assm. Thanks for any info Jeff

Rootsy
12-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Hello all , has anyone replaced their u-joints with auto /truck type and know the part # ,also is 7 ft.lbs or torque the right setting for the yolk nut holding the bearing and gear assm. Thanks for any info Jeff

the bearing and gear assembly has a rotating torque specification of 2 - 4 inch - lb for used bearings (spun under load 1 time). The nut is torqued to achieve this. If you remove the nut, replace it for it is a lock nut. also replace the seal.

I've replace the u-joints WITHOUT disassembling the gear assembly. the one closest to the drive can be a PITA but it can be done without too much hassle. a C-clamp with the rotating leveling pad works pretty well... and a piece of tube over the other side, larger than the cup.

Chances are, the U-joints are spicer pieces... i think i've seen the number here or elsewhere for them... do a search... Also.. for a GEN I drive you can use the sealed GEN II u-joints which have a larger diameter cross in them. my SS has GEN II U-joints in it which i did when i aquired the drive...

J

Trueser
12-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Rootsy,
Do you happen to have the Merc Part number for the gem II?

Thanks

Rootsy
12-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Gen II sealed U-joints???

805536A2 2 Required

bout 50 - 60 bucks each...

Looking back at my references from my GEN II to SS conversion the GEN II and SS use the same inner yoke and socket. The GEN I alpha uses the same part numbers but a different suffix... a 1 vs T, therefore 46020 1 for the inner yoke and 39383 1 for the socket on the Gen I vs 46020 T and 39383 T on the SS and Gen II... might want to take the old U-joint along, just to measure the cup diameter...

Gen I u-joint # is 75832 T1 and the SS # is 75832 A2 I am assuming the suffix is design level.. the SS had a larger diameter cross than the Gen I. the new Gen II is larger yet

J