PDA

View Full Version : My (new to me) boat book

gcarter
12-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Success at last :smile: I have been looking for this book since it was first published in 1971. It was published in Brittain so I couldn't find a bookstore to order one for me. No internet in 1971.
Dhows to Deltas
Renato 'Sonny' Levi
ISBN 0245599568
Nautical Publishing Company
Wow, what a book. There aren't many Naval Architects who are acknowledged to have developed a unique hull form. And Sonny's were really radical. Was an early pioneer in offshore racing in Europe. He developed A Speranzella for the 1961 Cowes-Torquay race. (see pic below) Notice how similar the hull form is to Dr. Lindsey Lords hulls of about 1949. Dr. Lord was the Grandfather of these boats we love. Essentially all Ray Hunt, Levi and others did in the early sixty's was add strakes and fiddle with the keel shape.

gcarter
12-16-2004, 09:27 PM
In just a couple of years, American and European regulations had become standardized. That's when Levi developed his "Delta" hull form. Look at the lines below and see where the name came from. Also see the pic with the author with Walt Walters and Jim Wynne

gcarter
12-16-2004, 09:30 PM
There's also a 50 page appendix in the back covering many design criteria. Including propellors. See the photos of cavitation

gcarter
12-16-2004, 09:33 PM
So where do you get one of these wonderful books? I think they're harder to find than Big Bad Donzi's book.
Over the years I've seen a few for sale on Amazon. I've missed a bunch. They are usually priced at $150.00 or so. This one came from Germany and was $80.00. It took two months to receive. I feel very fortunate. :cool!:

Fish boy
12-16-2004, 10:02 PM
good info George, sounds like a great read. I wonder is santa is taking late orders?

penbroke
12-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Nice find indeed! :yes:

Frank