PDA

View Full Version : MOP Question. Volvo........

Mr X
12-16-2004, 07:40 PM
here is the question,
I have a bad "B" upper.
I have a good complete "D" drive, (upper and lower together)
Can I just take off the lower from the "B" which is good......and bolt it to the good "D" upper?
And will I end up with a good 1:61 drive?

MOP
12-16-2004, 09:18 PM
You should be just fine, the gear ratio changes were in the lower tops all the same. Inspect the shear coupler by looking down the bore, even the slightest mis alignment in the splines or slight discoloration on the outside by the shear land it is about to let go. Curious why not use the whole un broken drive.

MOP

Mr X
12-16-2004, 09:27 PM
The drive I can buy RIGHT, is a "D"
I was going to buy it as a spare, but mine is a "B"

Just wondering how hard is it to swap lowers.
Can it be done with common hand tools like a Mercury?

penbroke
12-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Just wondering how hard is it to swap lowers.
Can it be done with common hand tools like a Mercury?

I've been fortunate enough to not have done it (yet) but looking in Clymer's is seems pretty straight forward. I'll be doing the same thing in the spring. I have a spare "D" drive and a beat up "B" lower for parts. If you want to wait I can let you know in the spring... :wink:

Frank

mattyboy
12-17-2004, 09:49 PM
oh I thought only MOP could answer ;)

we put my 250 lower on Kenny's 270 upper and ran it for a month or 2 no problem, allen keys, and 2 sets of hands ,
the book says you have to do all that gear type stuff meshing backlash shim whatever that mechanical stuff
we filled and and went

Mr X
12-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks Matty......what happened after the month or two??

KABOOM?

mattyboy
12-17-2004, 09:55 PM
no I needed my lower back!!! and Kenny found a v8 ratio lower , the one he got on ebay was a 4 cyl ratio

Mr X
12-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks Matty,
when a 270-280 breaks.....what usually goes first....
The upper or the lower?

penbroke
12-17-2004, 10:24 PM
oh I thought only MOP could answer ;)

Oops... :lookaroun

Frank

mattyboy
12-18-2004, 07:04 AM
Oops... :lookaroun

Frank

:) :) :) :)

Frank it's ok this time just don't let it happen again,
or you will have to stay after class and clean the blackboards and erasers ! ;)

MOP
12-18-2004, 10:52 AM
You should be just fine, the gear ratio changes were in the lower tops all the same. Inspect the shear coupler by looking down the bore, even the slightest mis alignment in the splines or slight discoloration on the outside by the shear land it is about to let go. Curious why not use the whole un broken drive.

MOP

I thought I did a reasonable job with the answer, it is so simple change you can do it with the drive on the boat. There are -0- shimming operations when swapping an assembled unit! (1) O-ring, oil and metric tools and about 45 minutes and it is done. Volvo's come apart easy even in salt compared to the rest of the flock as all the holes are coiled and rarely lock up. Just like all other drives coat all mating surfaces and bolts with non hardening gasket compound for ease of future disassembly and to protect from corrosion.

Phil/MOP

mattyboy
12-18-2004, 07:53 PM
MOP take a chill pill you did a fine job and you'll get a gold star on your paper,
I was bustin Ted balls cause he addressed the question directly to you and like no one else would know the anwer??

Ted I busted my uppers till they looked like the front row of a willie nelson concert( 1 tooth) in fact I posted that video on the boards this summer
that's why i had an extra lower to help out my friend kenny yes they bolt right up but when we told "our " mechanic he damn near had a heart attack "you can't just do that" but it works. ;)

Mr X
12-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Thank you all!!!
We did buy the drive today.....

penbroke
12-18-2004, 10:54 PM
:cool: Keep us posted on your progress...

Frank