PDA

View Full Version : cookies

Formula Jr
12-16-2004, 03:20 AM
I must admit that I'm not that smart about Windows machines. So here is a question for the Gurus.

Six months ago I registered with a travel site (expedia) on the web. Since then I have erased all cookies and run Spy-bot about nine times and even changed my browser.

So I was very surpised when I revisited the site and it dutifully filled in my user name and password. Where is Win 98 storing this information and can I clean all passwords with out doing a complete diskwipe/restore?

RedDog
12-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Win 98 -

try doing a search for all files ending in "pwl."

Search for "*.pwl"

Deletion of all of them may take care of it but then I'm not positive they interface with the browser or only just Win 98

Trueser
12-16-2004, 09:55 PM
You can remove all entry's under.

Internet explorer
tools
generalTAb
internet options
clear history
delete files/with offline content
delete cookies

under contentTAb
auto complete
clear forms.

This will delete all tracks.

Also are you running spybot VERSION 1.3?

do you do the updates?
have you imunized?

Formula Jr
12-17-2004, 01:22 AM
Thanks Trueser, I've done the usual things. I'm not worried about it. Every other site but this one needed me to re-enter a pass and User name to find my accounts again.
Thats why I thought it was unusual and must not be using the standard system of cookies. Just trying to understand how expedia recognized me. I travel sometimes and I always clear the cookies in case someone breaks into my house or steals the 'puter. Guess I'll start using the master password system Windows offers.