PDA

View Full Version : Jamesbon, will it ever get finished?

Donzigo
12-15-2004, 01:45 AM
For those who might be new to the board, Jamesbon (Nate), has one of the nicest Donzi restoration projects around.

So, Nate, give an update, dude; and, will it ever get finshed?

I think you and George get the "lifetime acheivement award" for longest restoration projects.

George gives us updates and if he lives long enough, it will be finished. What's the latest, George?

gcarter
12-15-2004, 05:12 AM
I think you and George get tghe "lifetime acheivement award" for longest restoration projects.

George gives us updates and if he lives ong enough, it will be finished. What's the latest?
Richard, are you picking on me because I turned 60? :rlol:

Donzigo
12-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Oops, uuuuhhhhhhhh I was only kidding, George.......................

Cuda
12-15-2004, 07:10 AM
Richard, did you get the rest of your interior back from PPI?

Jamesbon
12-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Wow, thanks Richard.

I still intend on finishing this winter. The money's there, the parts are there, the garage is there, but so little time plus the boats an hour away now and I just picked up a dirtbike :)

All I have left to do is a small amount of glass reinforcing then set the tank, paint the inside of the hull and start rigging.

MOP
12-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Nate tis hard trying to live a normal life being a boat merchant!!! Never enough time unless you steal it!!!

Phil

Donzigo
12-16-2004, 07:23 AM
DIRT-BIKE :moped:

Don't you know you can't ride that thing to Shell Island?

What's with that.

Get that boat finished, dude.

Richard

Fish boy
12-16-2004, 07:45 AM
For those who might be new to the board, Jamesbon (Nate), has one of the nicest Donzi restoration projects around.

So, Nate, give an update, dude; and, will it ever get finshed?

I think you and George get the "lifetime acheivement award" for longest restoration projects.

George gives us updates and if he lives long enough, it will be finished. What's the latest, George?

rome wasn't built in a day, sistine chapel fresco took 4 years,... cant rush perfection. Both of their boats will be drool material when completed.

Nate, give me a ring if you need help when you decide to rig it.

fish

Jamesbon
01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Hey Fellas. I finished up my second layer of epoxy glass on the gussets. Thank god that's over. A big thanks to my mom, she's a pro now after rolling the glass in after I cut and wet it out. She had a good time. It's so much faster with two people doing this job. With her help, I was able to mix and wet out bigger pieces of glass without it setting up on me. That sh*t gets hot when she's starting to cure and sets up harder than diamonds when done, well almost ;)

Next I have to get those long thin strips of wood and laminate to the top of the inside of the hull where top deck/rub rail fastening screws go. I welcome this step as compared to glassing in those damn gussets. (big, wet pieces of mat are a pain in the ass to get set right)

Still trying to figure out the BEST way to mount my nylon tank. She's supported at the front and back by the bulkheads, but I need to fully support the bottom and sides. I like the idea of foaming her in, but don't like the idea of having a sealed length of PVC pipe below the tank connecting the compartments fore and aft of the tank compartment. I gotta find a way to let the space between the fore and aft tank bulkheads drain into the bilge/sealed PVC pipe. Any ideas?

I deeply miss taking my GT to owners events and have wild day dreams of the old times and those to come with all of you. That's what keeps me going in my downtime.

gcarter
01-06-2005, 05:12 AM
Nate, if you use foam, it displaces most of the water. When I pulled out my tank, there wasn't a pint of water in the foam. And that was after 18 years. I wouldn't worry about it. Those tanks are just too difficult to support to the hull when it constantly changes shape.

Morgan's Cloud
01-06-2005, 06:54 AM
[QUOTE=Jamesbon]Hey Fellas. I finished up my second layer of epoxy glass on the gussets. Thank god that's over. A big thanks to my mom, she's a pro now after rolling the glass in after I cut and wet it out. She had a good time. It's so much faster with two people doing this job. With her help, I was able to mix and wet out bigger pieces of glass without it setting up on me. That sh*t gets hot when she's starting to cure and sets up harder than diamonds when done, well almost ;)

Which epoxy system have you been using .... West, interlux ..? Incredibly versatile and tough stuff huh ?

Steve

MOP
01-06-2005, 07:23 AM
Nate I see even your Mom takes pitty and wants you to get wet! We all know you are engaging in a campaign of Shock "n" Awe! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Phil