PDA

View Full Version : Blowboaters, this is really something. Vendeeglobe race

Lenny
12-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Around the Globe, non-stop, singlehanded race.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/uk/home

This website will entertain you for hours. I wouldn't want to be doing this. 60' waves, at night, singlehanded, endo's in the boats :eek:

Doug G
12-14-2004, 04:41 PM
I've done a fair amount of racing sailboats, mostly on Lake Erie and St. Clair, and have seen my share of wild weather. Lake Erie, in the middle of the night, 50+ knots of wind and 8-10' seas is about all I care to see. :bawling: :puke: That nonsense in the Southern Ocean, 45 knots, 40 foot seas??? Alone??? Out of their freakin' minds.... :bonk:

marcdups
12-14-2004, 05:16 PM
They do not call it the ROARING 40'S, SCREAMING 50'S and HOWLING 60'S for nothing, having lived and sailed the Indian Ocean for years, I have been through numerous storms, specially around the cape of Good Hope, and did one trip through the 40 degree lat on the way back to Mauritius from Cape Town as the weather conditions did not let us do otherwise, in a 40' boat with the same and more amount constantly, not to mention wave height, it was not much fun but in a way a great time and experience, there were three of us though, and made a lenghty but successful trip.

I still deliver a blowboat now and then, money is not bad either !!

Fish boy
12-14-2004, 05:40 PM
when I was a kid and did something bad at school, the teacher made me stand in a corner. Sometimes for hours on end, the punishment went on and on.

Guess these folks must have been REALLY bad to have to stay on a blowboat for weeks on end, wonder what they did?:smash:

Fish

Lenny
12-14-2004, 07:16 PM
I don't think CDMA minded it a whole lot on a Herreshoff design WITH Herreshoff on board as well. :D

Nor do I think he did anything "wrong" :)

What he did would have been a BLAST :yes:

This is plain UGLY tho.

gcarter
12-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Late July of last year, I agreed to help one of my best friends move his 33' sloop from Crystal River to his house on Cudjoe Key, about 350 milesw. So off we go thinking we'd have a wonderful two to four day sail down the Gulf of Mexico. Well, if you know Crystal River, its about seven to ten miles offshore before you have any depth at all. Then the wind died, completely!
We motored for nearly 70 hours. Oh, bye the way, this boat was powered by a single cylinder diesel, it probably ran 2000-2500 RPM, wide open. It set up a resonance in the hull. It was stifling down below. It was a trip from hell. I know it wasn't as bad as a gail, but I just as soon had not been there.

BUIZILLA
12-15-2004, 07:44 AM
Back in the mid-late 60's my dad had a new 28' Soverel blowboat. He loved it, the rest of the family hated it.... it had a single cylinder Volvo diesel, a MOST annoying, but VERY reliable little engine... used about 3/4 gph at WOT but it would resonate the entire hull to a nausiating pulse... yucko

JH

Morgan's Cloud
12-15-2004, 11:57 AM
A local (read .. Bermudian) successfully did this 2 years ago.
Many did'nt think he would make it to the end alive with boat.

Believe it or not only 120 something people have ever done it !

Our boy's name was Alan Parris .

S