PDA

View Full Version : APBA slowing down the DONZI RACE BOATS

fasttrucker
12-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Just got my january PowerBoat Mag. and guess what? They are changing the rules for Factory 1+2 Class."some manufactures,such as Formula Boats,had been pushing to slow down the classes"....So the new rules are Droping the motors to the 496 mag...425hp.Gone are the HP500+HP525.The last part of the story has Jeff Stevenson,driver and owner of Factory 2 race boat "JBS RACING",is moving up to Super Vee because of the rule change."Now they saying its just too fast and they are pointing their finger at us," Stenenson said."were getting the bitter end of the stick".....Maybe all the Donzi Race Boats should leave APBA and join the "Offshore Super Series" Just my.... :idea:

Fish boy
12-14-2004, 03:57 PM
that sucks! Guess if you can't run in the tall grass with the big dogs, then whine like a baby until someone mows the lawn.

Good news is if the slow it down enough, the bayliner racing series should be competitive. :eek:

Lenny
12-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't have to try so hard to get a good pan shot if they drop a couple hundred ponies :D

Shanghied Again
12-14-2004, 04:05 PM
APBA has been a mess for a couple of years and they are just getting worse. Superboat isn't much better. There should be one race commitee and just end all the stupid crap. This is the main reason why all the mjor players are looking at Poker Runs not racing to enjoy themselves.

thriller
12-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't have to try so hard to get a good pan shot if they drop a couple hundred ponies :D
How about posting some of them pics?

Please:biggrin.:

Cuda
12-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Sounds like they aren't singling out Donzi if I'm reading it correctly. All the boats will run 496's correct?

Ranman
12-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are they dropping the HP levels because F1 and F2 are open cockpit boats that are now running in the 90's with HP500/525 power? Is it because it's a safety issue? With the 496's the boats should run in the 70's to 80's which would be safer for open cockpits???

Cuda
12-14-2004, 06:16 PM
I think that's their reasoning Ranman.

fasttrucker
12-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Yes,all the boats have to replace the motors.To the 496 mag HO-425HP.I guess its like nascar and restricter plates.But is it going to be fun to watch if these so called race boats are slower then my tricked out 28zx?....also the Donzi Boats at the Nationals in Key West,blew away the formulas.So if they slow down the Donzi teams?????

mattyboy
12-14-2004, 10:14 PM
didn't merc drop the 500 and the 525?? this model year??
so how can it be factory class if the factory can't get them??

matches check
popcorn check
winter check

Cuda
12-14-2004, 11:01 PM
They discontinued the HP500, but I'm pretty sure the 525 is still in production.

boxy
12-15-2004, 07:03 AM
Yes,all the boats have to replace the motors.To the 496 mag HO-425HP.I guess its like nascar and restricter plates.But is it going to be fun to watch if these so called race boats are slower then my tricked out 28zx?....also the Donzi Boats at the Nationals in Key West,blew away the formulas.So if they slow down the Donzi teams?????

FastTrucker, come on up the 1000 Islands run next summer, rumor has it there might be a 496 powered 35ZR in attendance. I think the 70-80 mph target they are aiming for is average lap time.... :D :D
coffee
bagel
-18 C

Shanghied Again
12-15-2004, 10:01 AM
The 35ZR runs 82Mph with 496s my quess would be the 38ZR would run mid 70s with the same power.. Pretty soon they will want 4.3 V6 power or maybe have a fish race class or a cruiser class. 70 mph boats will be real exciting to watch race! Heck a 38 Formula with 496s wouldn't even make 70

roadtrip se
12-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Jill and I used to go to three or four APBA offshore races a year. We built friendships with a few of the racers and even Mike Tomlison, former chief referee for the APBA.

I'll never forget watching Tres Martin stop one lap early in his F2 38TG at Corpus Christi after building a big lead, realizing it, firing it back up after everybody had passed by him, and passing everybody to win the race again in the last lap.

I also remember watching Jack Carmody die at Corpus in one of the wierdest accidents I have ever seen.

The recreational boats were already much faster than the race boats. I remember in Key West sitting in the spectator fleet courtesy of the MP and watching some sort of turbine cat take off over the horizon, making the "Supercats" running at the time look like they were standing still. It was amazing to watch.

Point is, offshore racing can't really do much more to inflict injury on themselves, they're close to dead any ways.

Poker runs are where it's at and I have yet to see a ZR, factory sponsored or not, run in one. Maybe they'll wake up some day and get back to where the fans, particpants, and their money are hiding, now that racing has become such a bore.

Todd
"Owner of a now extinct, just like offshore racing, APBA offshore motor..."

boxy
12-15-2004, 12:37 PM
Poker runs are where it's at and I have yet to see a ZR, factory sponsored or not, run in one. Maybe they'll wake up some day and get back to where the fans, particpants, and their money are hiding, now that racing has become such a bore.

Todd
"Owner of a now extinct, just like offshore racing, APBA offshore motor..."

Tripper, Bob Christie, of Typhoon Performance Marine, ran a beautiful 38 ZR in a bunch of Poker Runs 3 years ago, he has since switched to a Nortech cat, but I wouldn't be suprised to see a 35 ZR in Typhoon's Poker Run stable this summer.
The Ross's also had their Snap-On Tools sponsored Championship F-2 38 ZR at this years 1000 Island Poker Run.

Shanghied Again
12-15-2004, 12:44 PM
No not a 38... Maybe a 43ZR staggered with BIG POWER :wavey:

boxy
12-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Frank how are Perfect Storm's new motors ?

Team Jefe
12-15-2004, 02:37 PM
.... Pretty soon they will want 4.3 V6 power or maybe have a fish race class .....

Once again, NO LOVE for the Fish boats :fire:

Besides, they already have a fish race class its called SKA

Shanghied Again
12-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Boxy how is 160mph ran the Key west poker run @ 145mph for 30 minutes. Boat runs awesome!
Team Jefe: I love fishing boats, Donzi makes some of the best I drove a lot of them and the 35ZFC is one great running boat, I can't wait until I get my hands on the new 38ZF with trip Verados. just used the Fish CC because if APBA could they would be racing them in the same class.

boxy
12-15-2004, 03:30 PM
160 mph is nice, real nice.

ChromeGorilla
12-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Hey Roadtrip...there were 2 38ZR's at the Emerald coast PR... Exreme Marine out of texas was runnin one and some one else as well. Man they looked awesome runnin across the bay. I'm tryin to Convince my wife that thats the perfect boat for us. I aint got no kids and I dont need no cabin.....now only if Uncle Sam paid me the big bucks........

roadtrip se
12-15-2004, 10:42 PM
to hear of so many ZR boats being spotted at Poker Runs.
Good to be wrong about that statement. Thanks guys!

Still, I would like to see Donzi get behind the Poker run scene again. Mike Fiore and Reggie Fountain understand the importance of these things, you see them at a lot of the runs and all over the boating magazines that report on the poker runs too.

When, you start seeing ZRs in Poker Runs America magazine, you'll know Donzi has figured it out.

Todd

boxy
12-16-2004, 06:33 AM
Todd, I'm not sure if it's not a catch 22 sort of thing. For the last 4 years or so there has always been at least half a dozen OL's at the 1000 Islands Poker Run, and this year Mike Fiore showed up with XXX, plus it's a lot closer to tow from his factory than 'Sota. There is always a whack of Fountains there, and Reggie was supposed to be there this year, but he couldn't make, and the PRA guys run 2 bg yellow Fountains.

Maybe if the new ZR's take off, we'll see more Factory support at Poker Runs, but I understand what you are saying, Factory support at Poker Runs may help the new ZR's take off.

fasttrucker
12-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Well you know that donzi helps sponser the jackson marine event...All donzi poker run.That gets a lot of press in our local boating papers here in Maryland.