PDA

View Full Version : History Question

33 crossbow
12-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Does anybody have any info about old race boats. I am trying to figure out if DONZI Z-33's were ever used by anybody in racing, and if so what were ther race #'s. I would love to replicate an old race # on the side of my boat. I thought of the new #, F2-1 but i am not sure if mixing the new with the old is suce a good idea. Any info would be great. I tryed to post pics that I have already posted, but I could not get it to work. The other pics of my boat are under (some 1988 Z-33 pics) in the performance talk section.

Morgan's Cloud
12-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Tim,

Donzi built it's reputation on a small line of 'production boats' that were based on racing hulls that stopped racing .. probably in the late 60's. There was no Donzi racing boats as such until just a few years ago... but then Don was long gone and there is just a 'name' connection' to the new stuff..

Others here can tell you more... especially Brownie .

S

Ranman
12-14-2004, 12:23 PM
To my knowledge, the Z boats were never raced. Your boat was designed by Dick Genth and for it's era is much more of a refined gentleman's boat. The Z hull is not considered exceptionally fast (or light for that matter). To me, your boat looks much more like a huge "Classic" with its center stripe and solid color hullsides and boot stripe. My vote would be to keep it that way and 86 the race numbers.

If you haven't noticed already, we are fortunate to have Allan Brown as an active member on Donzi.net. "Brownie" raced with Don Aronow and is full of great history and stories.

Other members on the site were involved with Donzi during different eras.

boldts
12-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Dick Genth's daughter race a Z Donzi? I believe it was a 27' though. Tim, like Randy said, I like your 33 just the way it is. Of course, I love sleepers both on the street and on the water! Nothing like someone thinking they have ya and then dropping the throttle the rest of the way down and walking away from them. :)

Rodger
12-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Boldts is correct. Genth's daughter did race an OMC powered Donzi.

Fish boy
12-14-2004, 02:21 PM
To my knowledge, the Z boats were never raced. Your boat was designed by Dick Genth and for it's era is much more of a refined gentleman's boat. The Z hull is not considered exceptionally fast (or light for that matter). To me, your boat looks much more like a huge "Classic" with its center stripe and solid color hullsides and boot stripe. My vote would be to keep it that way and 86 the race numbers.

If you haven't noticed already, we are fortunate to have Allan Brown as an active member on Donzi.net. "Brownie" raced with Don Aronow and is full of great history and stories.

Other members on the site were involved with Donzi during different eras.

the 33 was designed by Don Westerman not Dick Genth.

Donzigo
12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
.......................and Kathy Genth didn't actually campaign a race boat............right Fish?

I think that Donzi painted a Z-33 for their catalog with the DAMN DONZI on the side; but, I don't think it ever raced.

Ranman
12-15-2004, 08:33 AM
the 33 was designed by Don Westerman not Dick Genth.

Fish,

Help me understand the relationships at the time as all of the literature I see floating around for the era says they are Genth boats, which I took to mean "designed by". Do they just say that because Genth was at the helm of Donzi, but Don Westerman was the actual engineer/designer?

Thanks for the lesson.

Fish boy
12-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Fish,

Help me understand the relationships at the time as all of the literature I see floating around for the era says they are Genth boats, which I took to mean "designed by". Do they just say that because Genth was at the helm of Donzi, but Don Westerman was the actual engineer/designer?

Thanks for the lesson.

Genth did not, nor could he design a boat. Genth readily took credit for anything good, and blamed everyone else for anything bad. Don westerman designed the z series, helped with the z-65, and a few others while at donzi. He also designed boats for (or had his designs copied) for most of the major boat builders during the 70's, 80's and early 90's. He was a genius, and a very good man.

I know I left a lot of blanks, but I have my reasons. I will pm you my phone number, give me a call if you want more info.

Fish

33 crossbow
12-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Genth did not, nor could he design a boat. Genth readily took credit for anything good, and blamed everyone else for anything bad. Don westerman designed the z series, helped with the z-65, and a few others while at donzi. He also designed boats for (or had his designs copied) for most of the major boat builders during the 70's, 80's and early 90's. He was a genius, and a very good man.

I know I left a lot of blanks, but I have my reasons. I will pm you my phone number, give me a call if you want more info.

Fish

FISH, Yesterday i got an e-mail that i had a pm from you but there was nothing there. I would love to lalk more about all this stuff with you..... if the pm mesage doent work please e-mail me at: tim@gafrisch.com

Thanks, TIM

33 crossbow
12-16-2004, 10:20 AM
FISH, Yesterday i got an e-mail that i had a pm from you but there was nothing there. I would love to lalk more about all this stuff with you..... if the pm mesage doent work please e-mail me at: tim@gafrisch.com

Thanks, TIM

FISH BOY, I just got another e-mail telling me that i have a pm. When I go to messages the are no messages there.
Try to E-MAIL me

tim@gafrisch.com

Thanks Tim

Fish boy
12-16-2004, 10:22 AM
hey tim, I resent the pm. It was actually about something else.

see ya,
fish