PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer...

Andy McCarty
12-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Hey guys i have been away from the board for a while chasing ducks around arkansas. Hey i am going to purchase a new trailer in feb or march. I have spoken with Jack @ Quick load Trailers and he has given me what i feel is a good price. Do any of you have any suggestions on other manufacturers, or have any pros and cons about quick load. I will be using this trailer to launch 2-3 times a week. I want a user friendly trailer. Oh i forgot i have a 88 Z25. Thanks in advance for any info and have a safe Holiday.....:boat:

Donzigo
12-14-2004, 10:01 AM
I live in St. Petersburg about 5 miles from Capt. Jack's shop. I have bought three trailers from him and you won't find a better trailer for the money. He and his son are good folks. He once had a dealer network, etc, but, now is so busy with referrals and just people who know him and his ads in the boat traders, that he passes the savings on to you the consumer. My last trailer was for my 1989 Z-33 just a few monthes ago. My son sold his 22 Donzi last weekend and Jack built a trailer in a couple of days, for the new buyer. CUDA, on this thread also bought a trailer from Quickload.

One thing you ought to do is get is the torsion bar suspension. It's worth the hundred bucks for each axle. Right, CUDA?

If you come down to get it, throw me a call and I'l take you out on "Big D".

Richard
727-867-7020

Andy McCarty
12-14-2004, 10:11 AM
BIG D.. That sounds great. i will probably be down sometime in febuary. When he sets up his trailers will everything be ready to go or will i have to do some adjustments? Also i'll take you up on the ride in Big D. i am excited that you live so close. I have followed your interior rebuild and it looks great i cant wait to see it. I also know you will have alot of input for me with my Z25. As i have heard you totally rebuilt one of those also. Thanks for your input and i will keep you posted when i will be heading your way. :cool!:
I live in St. Petersburg about 5 miles from Capt. Jack's shop. I have bought three trailers from him and you won't find a better trailer for the money. He and his son are good folks. He once had a dealer network, etc, but, now is so busy with referrals and just people who know him and his ads in the boat traders, that he passes the savings on to you the consumer. My last trailer was for my 1989 Z-33 just a few monthes ago. My son sold his 22 Donzi last weekend and Jack built a trailer in a couple of days, for the new buyer. CUDA, on this thread also bought a trailer from Quickload.

One thing you ought to do is get is the torsion bar suspension. It's worth the hundred bucks for each axle. Right, CUDA?

If you come down to get it, throw me a call and I'l take you out on "Big D".

Richard
727-867-7020

Donzigo
12-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Yes, to all of the above.

a. If Capt. Jack says he'll set up the trailer for a Z-25, it will be done that way. Ask him if he has the specs, that's all. And, if he doesn't it's an easy thing to move the rails. Everything on the trailer is a 3/4 inch bolt; so, that's all you'll need.

b. Yes, I have completely rebuilt a 1987 Z-25. It now resides in Vermont with one of the nicest guys I've met through boating. Dennis Bosch lives on Lake Champlain. It was like seeing a child leave for collge. I still miss her.

c. The seats for "Big-D" should be ready tommorrow. I will get them and install them, when this cold weather lets up. I can't beleive the weather, it was 65 degrees today, and it will be in the 40's tonight. I'm gonna freeze...........buuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

d. Throw us a call if you come our way, and don't give it a second thought about Capt. Jack & his son. They're good-ole-boys. FYI: When I bought my first trailer, I asked: "Is there a warranty on this thing and if so how long?". Capt. Jack smiled and said, I don't know what you're getting at, if it's broke and we did it, we'll fix it, just bring it back. That was good enough for me, dude, and nothing has ever broke, yet.

To be fair, there are lots of really good trailer manufacturers. I live close to Contenental, Loadmaster, Performance, Rolls (probably the highest end - a superlative trailer), Owens Aluminuim-Slide-On (who also make a "killer" trailer. It's heavy-duty, & pricey), and Quickload. They all make good trailers. I just got hooked up with Quickload, and have been very happy. Besides, Capt. Jack is quite a character.

Good luck.

Mr X
12-14-2004, 09:41 PM
I also have an outstanding company that I deal with in Tampa
that builds a fantastic trailer.......less money, thicker I-beams
brakes, torsion axles all stainless hardware, nuts, bolts.....everything.......flush out system on the brakes.

I have purchased 3 trailers from him in the last 3 months......
and less money than anyone else.
Look me up when you come down here.......I will take you over there.

Donzigo
12-15-2004, 01:40 AM
Ted,

Who is the company?

FYI: My girlfreind is one of Kathy's new clients.

Let's get together sometime.

Richard

Andy McCarty
12-15-2004, 09:26 AM
:smile: cigSS

Can you give me the name and or phone number of this trailer manufacturer. I am interested in saving money if you give good refrences. You can call me on my mobile or email me. # is 859-983-9618 and my email is andy@taper.com . All and any information is much appreciated, i AM going to purchase a trailer. Also if anyone knows of any GOOD used trailers i may be open to that also. :smile:
Big D either way if i come into town i would still like to pick your brain and go for a ride. The weather here in KY is 20 this morning. Tonight getting to 8 with high tommorow in the teens. :( Thanks for all the info on Capt. Jack and he is for now my guy. Unless cigSS comes through with some savings.

boldts
12-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Andy,

I'll throw out a sponsor plug here. This company helps the Midwest Donzi Club put on our annual gathering at Lake Cumberland in KY.

You don't mention whether your planning to use your trailer in salt water and if you are, then this company can't help you as their trailers are steel. The company is Prestige Trailers. Their trailers have 6 bunks instead of the usual 2 or 4 bunks. Crownline boats use these trailers exclusively, but Prestige has all the patterns for Donzi boats.

I can't get to the website here at work due to site limitations, but I can give you a contact person and all the necessary information once I get home tonight.

Not sure how the price compares to other trailer companies, but the trailer sure looks like a quality piece from what I've seen.

Andy McCarty
12-15-2004, 12:37 PM
boldts

Prestige was my first call. They do not sell consumer direct. They have a couple of dealerships they recomended but the price is double the cost of what i have found with quickload. I will only be using this trailer to transport the boat a mile back and forth to the launch ramp at Cumberland. And maybe a couple of trips a year to other lakes in the area.
Thanks for the recomendation. I always try to use people that support the things i do and use.

Also maybe we can get together one saturday if you are at Lake Cumberland. We hang out in Harmon Creek. Teal Green 88 Z25.

Andy

boldts
12-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Well Andy, that would be great. Interesting information about Prestige. Next time I talk to them, I'll see if maybe I could help work out a discount to members here. Especially if we have to go through a dealer. Everyone needs their cut, but hey, word of mouth will sell more of any product no matter what it is. Sounds like you have a great deal down in Florida with again, many recommendations.

You need to come meet everyone and join us May 19th thru the 22nd at the Jamestown Resort. We've been holding a Donzi gathering there for the last 4 years. Many of the members here on the site attend and some have been there every year so far. Do you know David Hicks who runs his 30' Black Widow on Cumberland? David has provided me with a ton of help organizing the gathering along with a number of members from Cincinnati, Georgia, Michigan and Texas. I can't begin to name all the recommendations and help that has come from Registry members here.

Any suggestions as to destinations on the lake while we're there would be an added plus. The 76 falls is a must see and I'd like to know of other interesting areas on the lake. It's soooo big and so many different branches to go off of the main lake. The last 2 years, we've gone to Lees Ford for lunch on Friday. Nice long ride and probably one of the nicest resturants on the lake with plenty of room for 20 to 30 Donzis.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts.