PDA

View Full Version : Windshield question

p729lws
12-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I should be picking up a ‘79 18' 2+3 on Friday that does not have a windshield. I like the look with the windshield and Alex has one listed for sale on the site for $350.

Does the windshield offer much protection at speed or is this a cosmetic item? Is it fairly easy to mount the windshield on a non-windshield boat? Is $350 the going rate for these?

Thanks for helping the newbie,
Dan

Marlin275
12-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Does the windshield offer much protection at speed or is this a cosmetic item?
Dan

Without the windshield the wind gets in your face
and I have read here,
with the windshield the wind is deflected in your face
the windshield just keeps wave water off of you

MOP
12-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Windshields are a can of worms up here many feel the don't belong on a 16 or 18, both sides need their thoughts respected. They do afford a bit of wind protection but only from the shoulders down unless you add deflectors. The one big thing it does is give you a place to duck behind when a big batch of spray comes at you, I would have loved one on my 16 and am real happy having one on the 22.

Phil

Ranman
12-13-2004, 04:11 PM
I have an 18 Classic with the windshield, but have been in both flavors. While there has been much discussion here regarding w/s vs. no w/s, here are some "truths".

If your height is somewhere between 5'9" to 6'2" your face while driving at high speeds will be right in the turbulence of the air coming off the shear of the windshield. This is a very "whippy" type wind and can be annoying. I would much prefer a nice smooth steady stream of air into my face. If you're like me 6'4", even with the w/s, your face is in a "clean" stream of air (similar to no ws). My windshield does protect my chest and arms quite well however. I've noticed more fatigue riding for longer periods in the non windshield boats as my chest and arms are whipped with wind all day.

In addition to that, the windshield only offers a couple of other small, but distinct advantages in my eyes. If a small wave comes over the bow, the w/s will keep you dry. on my home lake, the w/s saves me from about 50% of the waves I take over the bow. If a big wave comes over the bow, the w/s will direct the water first into your face, then into your lap. Regardless, in a non w/s boat, you're going to get wet. If you're on a small inland lake, this should be a non-issue. Also, I've found that behind the windshield can be a decent spot to store things, when not moving or for small electronics, (GPS, remote, etc). Lastly, Having the windshield will make you feel just a little more like you're in the boat. Members here will tell you the main difference between an 18 and 22 classic is that in the 18 you're "on" the boat whereas driving the 22 feels like your "in" the boat. In an 18, you feel a tad more "in" the boat with a w/s. MY wife appreciated this much more than I do.

As far as whether or not to get one, the concensus here is that it is personal preference. Some like them, and some don't. $350 sounds to me liike a decent price. hope this info helps you in the decision making process. Good luck.

Tony
12-13-2004, 07:23 PM
The original windshield on my '67 Ski Sporter is a bit taller than the 18's. I am able to slouch down, wedge my knees against the dash, and completely tuck under the windstream coming over the windshield. This is convenient on longer cruises or inclement weather. My wife loves being protected as well, she sits facing aft in the wrap-around seat.

Different strokes for different folks...do a search and you will find plenty of opinions regarding the look of a w/s Donzi vs. a non-w/s Donzi. Talking about this topic is similar to discussing religion, politics, and foaming in fuel tanks!

p729lws
12-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the responses. The boat I'm picking up is the one that was on ebay recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4509217564&category=31270

Looks like I'll be in the pro windshield camp, but to each his own. :cool: If the Donzi checks out OK it looks like I'll be talking to Alex.

My last toy was a Miata so I know the "sitting on top" feeling.

Love the site so far.
Dan

mattyboy
12-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Did you say miata???? Randy !!!! :p

ROTHLMAO

hope the boat works out for and welcome

you've hit 2 hot topics there windsheilds and miatas

how do you feel about volvos

p729lws
12-13-2004, 09:24 PM
You've lost me Matty. I don't get you telecom types, someone will have to translate...

What's involved with mounting the windshield on a non-windshield boat?
Thanks,
Dan

mattyboy
12-14-2004, 06:45 AM
You've lost me Matty. I don't get you telecom types, someone will have to translate...

What's involved with mounting the windshield on a non-windshield boat?
Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

just has a new member we have had some real heated posts on the following subjects with opions very pro or con on the following subjects , plus i am the class clown

windsheild vs non windshield
miatas
volvo vs merc
foam and fuel tanks
oil
just funny you hit 2 of these items in one post do a search when you get the chance

now onto the windsheild, never done it before ,but on a non windsheild boat , I would think you need to consider the grab rail and If i recall correct there is a small fairing around the cockpit where the snaps for the cover are being a 79 it should have the 2 side grab rails so a new cover will be needed
do a search on windsheilds that might help

again welcome

p729lws
12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Matty,

I've seen a few "Dino vs synthetic oil" threads get out of hand. Didn't figure you guys for having an opinion on Miata's though.

This will be my first inboard/outboard and it has the Merc. I'll get back to you once I have an opinion :D

Back on topic: Looking at the some photos on the site it looks like the windshield mounts inside the hand rails so the rails do not need to be modified?

Dan

mattyboy
12-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Matty,

I've seen a few "Dino vs synthetic oil" threads get out of hand. Didn't figure you guys for having an opinion on Miata's though.

This will be my first inboard/outboard and it has the Merc. I'll get back to you once I have an opinion :D

Back on topic: Looking at the some photos on the site it looks like the windshield mounts inside the hand rails so the rails do not need to be modified?

Dan

dan do a search

look at Ranmans boat no grab rail then look at an 88 18 with a grab rail looks close to me but then the grab rail becomes a mute point the windsheild then becomes the grab rail unless you're talking about a older factory windsheild that doesn't wrap around if it fits I would think the factory would have installed them that way ???
but us telecom types aint too swift on the uptake

http://www.donzi.net/hull/unk_BSantry/BOAT3.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/hull/DNAC8015J697/water4.jpg

Rootsy
12-14-2004, 11:32 AM
on the subject of windshield vs no windshield.. i don't think it woulda made a hoot of difference on my 16... Roadtrip was getting soaked either way :biggrin: :yes:

J

Ranman
12-14-2004, 12:28 PM
My 2 cylinder snowmobile has more horsepower than your average souped up Miata, but then again, I'm from Detroit where we race real cars. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

p729lws
12-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Ranman,
What's a snowmobile? Bring it down to Pensacola and we'll do some autocross. See how it handles the cones. :eek: I'm equal opportunity when it comes to cars. We do the Talladega NASCAR race in the fall and usually one of the Martinsville or Darlington races. I've been to the 24 hours of Daytona sports car race and generally try to keep up on Formula One. The local 1/8 mile drag strip is fun too. As soon as detroit makes a light weight convertible sports car I'll check that out also, maybe the new Soltice.

Matty,
Thanks for the feedback. I've got some more research to do but I think my setup would be similar to FrequentFlyer's with the windshield and the grab bars.

I agree that the front section of the grab bars are redundant at that point. Maybe the thing to do is make some custom grab bars for the back only.

By the way, I used to do some mechanical consulting engineering so I'm allowed to take swipes at you division 17 types.

Thanks again,
Dan

MOP
12-14-2004, 06:14 PM
My 22 has grab rails, true kind of useless for passengers but real handy for hanging fenders and holding it at the dock.

Phil

RedDog
12-14-2004, 09:35 PM
OK - I've tried to keep quite, but you started it! Windshields on 18s are for weenies - just look at Ranman and you'll know what I mean :shades:

PS - have you seen the '05 stang?

mattyboy
12-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Matty,.....

By the way, I used to do some mechanical consulting engineering so I'm allowed to take swipes at you division 17 types.

Thanks again,
Dan

take your best shot and
bring friends :yes: :rolleyes: and some foam!!! :tongue:

ToonaFish
12-14-2004, 09:58 PM
RedDog is a Vols fan, his opinion should be judged accordingly.

Chicks think windshields are hot. Any other questions?

goatee
12-14-2004, 10:16 PM
i read that question and thought "OH MAN!!!!"
HE'S A NEW MEMBER!!
and the first thing i thought,,,,"ask randy"
its all true. i'm short, and i can duck down and it seems to help.
if i really slouch,, i can almost keep wind out of my face..
im pro windshield. i think it looks better.

as far as bringing this up,,, i think we've all learned a few things over the past couple years. like respecting other peoples opinion.
like not expressing your opinion like its the ONLY opinion.

when you have a web site like this, with this many members,,,
on a topic such as donzi's,, people have strong feelings.

next time just bring up something easy like,,, the donzi girls section,, or religion and politics..

oh by the way,, welcome to the board :beer:

Sea Biscuit
12-15-2004, 06:42 AM
OK - I've tried to keep quite, but you started it! Windshields on 18s are for weenies - just look at Ranman and you'll know what I mean :shades:

PS - have you seen the '05 stang?

Yeh and they look great with a windshield !

Ranman
12-15-2004, 08:28 AM
p729,

I was just yanking your chain on the car thing. I know the Miata guys get all defensive and what not when someone questions their masculinity. :biggrin: :biggrin:

This thread has brought out a llot of good info regarding windshields and everyone has kept it sane (except Matty of course).

RD,

No ride in the new Stanger yet, but there's lots of them around. I think they look great, but will hold out for the convertable before buying one.

p729lws
12-15-2004, 09:37 AM
RedDog,

The Stang is the best looking pony car in a long time and must be the best HP/$ deal going. The wife is hot for the new T-birds so I've seen a few of the new Stangs at the dealer also. The live rear end and the lack of a drop top are a deal breaker for me. I guess the SVT model will get the independent rear whenever it comes out but they get pricey.

The amount of civil discourse in the site is at the right level for me. One of the other sites I check in on is a free for all with good info to be had but you have to wade through all the BS. Another one I check out would have shut this thread down for being off topic to many times. You guys have it right. As the newbie it’s hard to tell who's having fun and who's likely to climb the bell tower. ;)

If the Donzi is "as advertised" it will be home on Saturday and FrequentFlyer will be getting an email on the windshield for sale!

Thanks for the welcome.

Dan

Ranman
12-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the kind words concerning the site. Regardless of any other board I may post on, this is my home. There's a great group of people here, most who've met in person at one time or another. That makes a huge difference.

mattyboy
12-15-2004, 07:10 PM
from Ranman
"This thread has brought out a llot of good info regarding windshields and everyone has kept it sane (except Matty of course)."
If I ever get my arms free of this white jacket boy are you in for it ;) well atleast after I have a few beers first
GTG lock down

mattyboy
12-15-2004, 09:49 PM
good looking boat :yes:
http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/f4/c4/76_1_b.JPG

I would think if a windshield on an 18 offered that much protection Geoo would surely have one, he has added just about everything else !!!! :eek: ;)
NOW THAT"S A CLASSIC!!!!!! ;) :)
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7365

boldts
12-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Here is a nice example of no w/s vs w/s Donzi 18 Classic. The 18 on the left was my 1969. On the right, Ranman's 18 Classic. Sorry Randy, I can't remember the year. Anyway, look at how much lower to the water Randy's Classic is. Also, the 69 model appears to be wider? Maybe just a picture thing. It would be interesting to me to know if there was a design change? I've always thought that a 60's 18 Classic was the same hull being built today. Looking at this picture, I really don't think that is true.

I'm only 5'6" so a w/s might have been more useful for me, but I think the no w/s is one of the reasons I fell in love with this Donzi at a winter time dealer boat show in Northern Ohio. No other boat looks like a Classic with-out a w/s. I also think I would rather have water over the bow hit my chest vs my face. Yes, I've been hit by a wall of water on occasions. I think more offshore racers have been killed by water hitting their heads before canopies were introduced.

My suggestion would be to ride in the boat with-out a windshield and then ride in one with it. Make up your mind and do what-ever your preference is. There are a ton of Donzis in FL compared to up here in the North.

RedDog
12-17-2004, 07:02 AM
...look at how much lower to the water Randy's Classic is...

That could be due to the full cooler, monster amps, Donzi Jenn's things, and then there is the issue that Ranman himself is in the boat :cool:

p729lws
12-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the additional input. The deal on the Donzi went through and I brought her back to Florida on Friday! The boat appears to be in good condition for her age and I'm looking forward to getting her registered and on the water. :shades:

Dan

Matty,
Thanks for the new background pic!