PDA

View Full Version : new hobby !!

marcdups
12-12-2004, 07:33 AM
In the cool weather we have been having I decided to entertain myself with a RC plane, and no I have not flown one before so this morning should be interesting :propeller :propeller

http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Products/Detail.aspx?ProductID=HBZ3500

mattyboy
12-12-2004, 08:12 AM
we might have to change your name from towel boy to fly boy ;)
good luck have fun
don't listen to poodle the ground is good a 50 foot oak tree is bad
i picked up an old hobby this year too setup the families 50 year old lionel trains man I have never soldered this much that s!@+ is hot

gcarter
12-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Matty, I wanted one of those my entire childhood! I always felt deprived. Lionel trains and the little John Deere tractors.
How cool. :cool:

MOP
12-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Model plane flying is great fun, I was into it for many years. Even had a few boats most of which had electric motors. A friend spotted my antiquated stash a few well more than a few years back and asked if I wanted to part with the stuff. I looked at the dust gathered and figured it was a era passed and gave him a good deal and got a bunch of storage space. In retrospect there have been many times that I wished I still had a few to play with. I have been very intrigued with the R/C helicopters and may get one, a friend has one that is about 3 feet long, extremely detailed and flies fantastic it was $1,400 no cheap but well worth it. It can be a very addictive sport and you will make tons of new friends, have a great time and don't despair if you make mush out of a couple.

Phil

Rootsy
12-12-2004, 09:16 AM
someday i'll finish my winter hobby.... it's been about 4 years in the making....

on the flying note.. my father has an RC Helicopter... i think we might have to bring Digger in for some lessons cause everytime he decides to fly it... well it gets pretty expensive... lift-off... 20 seconds later she's sidways in the ground... i don't even get near him... it's dangerous :shocking:

JR

McGary911
12-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Good luck on your maiden flight. I've always liked RC stuff. A couple of years back, I was laid up for a couple of days with a bad ankle. I finally had the time to put together a cool rc offroad truck. Its a blast. I have a boat too, but i cant seem to keep the water out of the bilge. I think there may be a plane in my future. Let us know how you like this one. The price doesn't seem too steep to get started...

marcdups
12-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Price was not bad for whole kit, but note to SELF: When purchasing something from the Hobby store 25 miles away and plan your first flight on a Sunday when they are closed, buy spare WINGS, PROP, TAILS and some LANDING GEAR, RUBBER BANDS, actually maybe a spare plane. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Had a blast, haven't laughed like that for a while, had some somewhat successful " SHORT" flights, trees around field are magnetic, nothing a fishing rod could not take care of, but the last CRASH/LAND while chasing the dog, not on purpose mind you, HEY I started running :eek!: :eek!: , was detrimental to the craft, see shopping list for damage assessment.

Happy sunday !! :outtahere

Fish boy
12-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Jamie, that is really neat!!!

I have been getting the bug myself, but have not found time to finish this. Hopefully this winter..

Rootsy
12-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Jamie, that is really neat!!!

I have been getting the bug myself, but have not found time to finish this. Hopefully this winter..

hmmmm i am feeling kinda meek here... i only have a lil electric motor :rolleyes:

i'm getting pretty good at ungluing my fingers... :shocking:

J

Fish boy
12-13-2004, 09:23 AM
hmmmm i am feeling kinda meek here... i only have a lil electric motor :rolleyes:

i'm getting pretty good at ungluing my fingers... :shocking:

J

LOL!

difference is that mine looks like a model, your boat looks like a work of art. keep us updated as you finish it!

I am going to try to talk budmann into getting one too so he can tow mine in when it breaks. Ha!

RedDog
12-13-2004, 11:36 AM
I took up RC flying as a hobby too. It lasted about 30 seconds and then my instructor flew the plane into a tree. The 1000s of pieces of balsa were beautiful as they gracefully fell to the ground. The re-built effort is taking a little long though - going on 14 years...