PDA

View Full Version : Another 18' Ripoff

mphatc
12-11-2004, 10:36 AM
http://www.renegademarine.com/Nomad.htm

Sure looks like an 18 Classic hull ! Actually a very cool looking boat!
Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Mario

olredalert
12-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Mario,

--------While similar it appears that the strakes have been completely repositioned. I wonder if the bottom is round or not. You are correct, it is a cool looking boat. Also wonder how many have been produced to date..............Bill S

Greg
12-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Nice looking little boat. I like to fish as long as the fish don't bother me.

Cuda
12-11-2004, 05:51 PM
I saw this today at the Toys for Tots run. Isn't it the Cobalt that was made from the 18 mold?

Cuda
12-11-2004, 05:53 PM
I saw this today at the Toys for Tots run. Isn't it the Cobalt that was made from the 18 mold?

Hmm, let's compare it to the 18 Donzi that WAS there! :)

ChromeGorilla
12-11-2004, 10:27 PM
yeah I saw him today too. I had me guessing. I like the red Donzi with the old dude drivin better though... :biggrin.:

thriller
12-12-2004, 12:43 AM
yeah I saw him today too. I had me guessing. I like the red Donzi with the old dude drivin better though... :biggrin.:
Old dude? What do you call old? :smash:

I guess a cougar would have to be what ......hhhmmmmm 35?

Your as old as you feel brother and to be riding solo in a Donzi is a pretty good feeling no matter what your age.:biggrin:

Mike Miller

mattyboy
12-12-2004, 07:01 AM
cuda , not cobalt cobalt did the early knockoffs in the late 60's
the boat in your pic was to be the replacement for the 16 and 18 classic in the early 90's made by 4 winns when donzi, Chris Craft, 4 winns were all under the OMC roof they were called the u17 u19 unlimited
do a search they supposedly were wild rides chine walking their way to infamy
Glad that didn't work out

Cuda
12-12-2004, 07:33 AM
cuda , not cobalt cobalt did the early knockoffs in the late 60's
the boat in your pic was to be the replacement for the 16 and 18 classic in the early 90's made by 4 winns when donzi, Chris Craft, 4 winns were all under the OMC roof they were called the u17 u19 unlimited
do a search they supposedly were wild rides chine walking their way to infamy
Glad that didn't work out

That's right Matty, I remember now. Thanks.

mattyboy
12-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Cuda ,
what I never understood is if they copied the hull and put a different deck on it why did it chine walk so badly???

must be nice to boat in dec hey??? ;)

Cuda
12-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Cuda ,
what I never understood is if they copied the hull and put a different deck on it why did it chine walk so badly???

must be nice to boat in dec hey??? ;)

Beats me, maybe Lenny can answer that.

Yeah, it doesn't suck to boat in December. We have a New Years Day fun run coming up in a few weeks. I hope it's as nice as it was last year. I have played golf on New Year's before too. :biggrin.:

smokediver
12-12-2004, 08:34 AM
that is nowhere near a copied 18 hull . the entry may look somewhat the same however the deadrise in that hull is not 24 degrees , not even close .

Cuda
12-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Smokediver, check this thread.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33648&highlight=winns

smokediver
12-12-2004, 09:22 AM
I was posting on the renegade thread . Those 4winns were pretty cheaply put together .

Cuda
12-12-2004, 11:10 AM
I was posting on the renegade thread . Those 4winns were pretty cheaply put together .
Ok, I see now, my bad. :(

Tidbart
12-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Hello CG,
This is the "Old Guy", the one who got your boat started. LOL
What did they say about wisdom and age?

B

Mr X
12-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Back to the original topic, sorry guys but I saw them build the plug for this boat back in 1988.

Its NOT a Donzi ripoff!

Speed-Racer
12-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Working at a boat dealer, we like to call the Four Winns a "Poor Winns"...very cheaply made :rolleyes:

blackhawk
02-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Actually, the U boats are a very solid boat. The big difference in the hulls was the U boat has a pretty definite hook in it. This made the boat chine walk with the duo-prop setup, but it wasn't that bad. The boat accelerates like a slingshot with the duo-prop and with the hook built into the hull they fly very level. They do have a 24* deadrise and they handle excellent in the big water.

Definitely one of the best "copies" out there!

Mr X
02-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Click on there home page.. http://www.renegademarine.com/index.htm

See any names you recognise? :biggrin:

Lenny
02-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Nope, I thought your name was Cigarette SS :confused: :D :D :D

Isn't the Nomad an 18 Donzi bottom?

Tony
02-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Actually, from my understanding, it was a well built copy of the Donzi hull. Sales were marginal due, in part, to a test report in which the driver did not know how to handle the deep vee hull. Four Winns stopped production because Donzi threatened litigation.

Tony is right, I THINK it was Hot Boat magazine that did the test and said the boat was "dangerous" which hurt sales since they were trying to break into the performance market. Too bad because it really is a well built boat with awesome performance.

The above were pasted from on old thread. I believe the Four Winns Unlimiteds were well built and, with the larger engine options (Ford/Volvo), performed very well, too. I researched their history extensively as I was shopping...but still ended up with the real thing!

blackhawk
02-22-2005, 01:11 PM
It is a very well built boat. One of the big changes to the hull is the U boat has a pretty good hook built into it. And when equipped with the duoprop it likes to chine walk. But in the upside with the duoprop it accelerates VERY HARD and the hook in the hull makes it a very level flying boat.

The test boat that powerboat or hotboat(I can't remember which one) used had the trim limit switches bypassed for better performance. With them bypassed you can actually "tuck" the drive under. If an unexperiences driver tucked the drive to far in a corner it would "push" the boat on it's side. this is exatly what happened and they said the boat was dangerous.

Basically, with the exception of the Lib this was Four Winns entrance into the performance market. Their name as an inexpensive family boat and the poor review it received really hurt sales. Then in 1997 they switched to lower hp Chevy motors and totally changed the scheme of the boat(for the worse in my opinion). That was pretty much the nail in the coffin!

And I totally agree, the performance of the U boat is awesome!

BUIZILLA
02-22-2005, 05:32 PM
And when equipped with the duoprop it likes to chine walk. okaAAAAY, i'll bite... how is this possible??

JH

smokediver
02-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Actually, the U boats are a very solid boat. The big difference in the hulls was the U boat has a pretty definite hook in it. This made the boat chine walk with the duo-prop setup, but it wasn't that bad. The boat accelerates like a slingshot with the duo-prop and with the hook built into the hull they fly very level. They do have a 24* deadrise and they handle excellent in the big water.

Definitely one of the best "copies" out there!
U mmm ... i think the problem was with the U-17 . they took the hook out of the hull and it became a real handful ... they flew a little too much ..

mattyboy
02-22-2005, 07:17 PM
they also have inner lifting strakes all the way to the transom not sure what that does on a rounded keel

blackhawk
02-22-2005, 07:29 PM
okaAAAAY, i'll bite... how is this possible??

JH

I have no idea! I'm not a technical guy at all when it comes to hulls. But I've been in both and the duoprop chinewalks a lot more. Maybe the duoprop creates more sternlift and causes the boat to "bounce" back and forth?

Lenny
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
The lift strakes going all the way back certainly don't help matters much either.

blackhawk
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Both the 17 and 19 have a decent hook on them. They are both incredibly flat riding boats which probably gives up a little top speed, but makes them fly very level.