PDA

View Full Version : survey

half shell
12-10-2004, 05:48 PM
OK after dreaming of a 22 Aronow Edition under the Christmas tree it almost seems a sin to run that baby in salt water.However salt is where I am.

So where do you all run fresh or salt?

Regards Bob

ChromeGorilla
12-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Bob, I run my boat in both fresh and salt water. I have closed cooling on my engine. I also flush after every use in salt water.

Lenny
12-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Salt, only, you should post this as an online poll.... :)

Raw water cooled

RedDog
12-10-2004, 08:12 PM
I run in fresh water but will run in salt water every chance I get (seldom - vacations - 1 week 2 different times over the past 3 years).

Salt may be harder on its condition, but I bought my Donzi to enjoy, not to baby. I know its hard to grasp, but they are just machines and can be fixed/restored to new with money and time.

Donzigo
12-10-2004, 09:20 PM
30 years of salt................no failures. I run 1/2 cup of JOY through the engines, for ten minutes, at idle, without fail, every time I use it,no matter how drunk or tired I am. Anyway, guys who don't run their boats in salt are "sissies"..............I ain't mentioning any names, (Ted M.); but you know who you are.

Oh OK, don't shoot me..............I'm just kidding about the "sissie" part.

mattyboy
12-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Salt is for
pretzels
margaritas
and to melt the ice off your stoop :tongue: :)

boat where you want, or more like it boat when you can and where you can
dog is right you have a donzi to enjoy , use it, but just take care of it

seems I'm a weenie, I don't do salt and I have a 16 with a weenie bar :rolleyes: i could drag the boat to salt but with the price of gas i just walk a block to the marina and run on my lake ;) plus all my favorite water holes are there :spit: for after my ride

someday maybe for Christmas Santa will bring me a real boat with a windshield
:rlol:

gcarter
12-11-2004, 07:55 AM
I live on fresh water on a huge chain of lakes, but this state is surrounded by saltwater, and some really good boating.
So I added closed cooling to my new engine. :moped:

BTW, I will be doing a trial deck install today. Hopefully, photos will follow.
:wavey:

MOP
12-11-2004, 08:55 AM
It all boils down to care! I started boating when I started boating at 9 now 64, some of my early boat were the typical rust balls. Salt is hard on stuff it will weld bolts in place blow paint of so it can eat things up even better. Like the guys said put a cooler on the motor and still flush after each use. Any time you find water in the bilge wash things down with F/W. Its the plain metal parts in the bilge that need extra attention, whether they get wet or not they will rust. Take the time to look things over careful and treat everything you think that could possibly rust with a rust preventative. The fresh water boys find it offensive seeing a light coat of grease on motor mounts and a thin film of RP on most everything in sight. Believe me it is worth it, not only will it stay in good shape but will save you a ton of bucks when repairs are needed. Yeah I could go on and on having learned all the little tricks the hard way, my 16 only saw F/W once at the 1000 Islands but after 3 years in salt was as clean and rust free as any F/W boat.

Phil
Phil

McGary911
12-11-2004, 09:26 AM
I live on the Atlantic Ocean, and yes, i boat in salt. Some days I'll get down to Barnegeat Bay, which is brackish....that's the closest I've gotten to fresh so far.

I'm raw water cooled. Between the salt air and water, things do need more maintainence, but hey, we've gotta run our Donzis, right?

Flush for 15 minutes at idle. Salt away. Power wash after each use. spray down the engine room with crappy oily protectant. It all helps.

The only issue I had due to salt was a blown head gasket. My engine was built in Michigan, and I guess they assumed it would never see salt. They used a non-marine head gasket, and I got about 6 outings on it before I noticed it was missing a little. Yep, tore it down and installed the correct gasket. Runs like a champ again.

I do hope to get up to lake george one of these days to run in that fresh stuff ;)

half shell
12-11-2004, 10:48 AM
I only boat in salt so I know what it can do.However after looking at that shiny new red 22 while down the keys I almost would feel guilty almost about splashing her in the salt for the first time.

However if I was to get one believe me I will run her like there is no tommorow .

I am not one to save my things as new for the next owner to ruin I can do that myself just fine!

Regards Bob

Formula Jr
12-11-2004, 04:46 PM
I was at a boat ramp at the Great Salt Lake. I had my boat with me on the trailer. It was a beautiful early fall day.

I dipped my hand in the water and let it dry. Saw all the residue and said, "This ain't gonna happen." :)