PDA

View Full Version : 28ZXO info request

Bryan Tuvell
04-26-2001, 07:00 PM
Anyone ever been out on one????? Tell all..
From another post of mine and some...."
I spoke with a couple dealers this morning, I would say there is 10 to 20 thousand mark up on the window stickers that were faxed to me (120K), numbers on my ZX was mid 30's with trailer on trade, so I would have 10K profit there. Bottom line was my boat and 70K to get to the point. It was loaded, twin 350 Mags,Q&Q, Victory Graphics ($6,750),Kplanes and much more. The Scorp version was close to a sticker of 140K. Guy tried to tell me it was an mid 80+ MPH boat! I laughed, told them of the HOTBOAT report, mid 70's tops in the 4 foot waves...
Interesting there is 20K difference in twin 350 mags over 377's... plus lab finish props and a scorpion sticker... "

The one in KY is single BBC for 74,900, a 70MPH boat, still never heard back from them on my request to bring it to AOTH.

UPDATE!!! I HAVE CLEARANCE FROM THE ADMIRAL NOW! Family Boating Mag came today and guess which boat had an article? Yep, 28ZXO. BUT I love my 22ZX, she is just right for me and my immediate family... this new job of mommas has returned us from seclusion to entertaining.... what a mess...
I think I will call SandDollar tomorrow, I need a test ride and a birdseye view of the mini cuddy...
ooooops, survivor is on!!!!!!
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 04-26-2001).]

Dr. Dan
04-26-2001, 07:03 PM
Bryan, I can tell that wallet is on fire! LOOK OUT! Good Luck ...Doc Hey just as an FYI,in the April issue of Powerboat they have a 1999 28' ZX, never titled,full warranty,listed as a must sell. Twin 350 Mag for $62K. 716.664.1400

[This message has been edited by Dr. Dan (edited 04-26-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
04-26-2001, 07:07 PM
It's not on fire, by no means, itching, well yes...... but I like for the family to be happy while boating. I have a payment $ window 8%, if that can be met we'll see, I need to do some research and prequal with my bank first...
We'll see... and see ya soon Doc, on your next trip to our bay... you have our number.
Thanks, Bryan

DONZIMAN2
04-26-2001, 07:54 PM
Bryan, When you gonna order one so we can pick it up? Can't wait for a ride! Twins are easier to dock but still require a PLUG! Talk to you soon!

Varyak
04-26-2001, 08:13 PM
OR...for a whole lot less money you could buy a new 2001 Classic 18 with the MX 6.2 MPI with all the go-fast fun stuff (almost 75 mph box stock), AND a 2001 Bayliner 2855 with all the family fun you can stand, AND still have enough money left over for a 2001 Porsche Carrera. Been there, done that.
Mark

Bryan Tuvell
04-26-2001, 08:52 PM
VARYAK, not sure what we will do, early stages of a HUGE decision... need to ride in both engine layouts and then compare costs.
I won't comment on other boat brands but will say I will be staying with Donzi, in my 22ZX or in a Bow Rider 28ZXO. I won't buy a boat I cannot get rid of in the future.
Research and test rides are far from the end, it may be the end of this season before a decision is made, then again, I could like the BBC in KY and tow her home... who knows.
Thanks for the idea though... Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 04-26-2001).]

RickSE
04-27-2001, 10:47 AM
Bryan,
As far as I know there still is a new 28ZX Scorpion available in California that we could sell for around $90K. Never titled with 10 hours, new warranty. The Scorpion engine package list for around $13K per engine over a 350Mag.

I drove this 28ZXO (behind the 22-Classic) last summer.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1273223&a=9568652&p=31514529&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1273223&a=9568652&p=31514573&Sequence=0&res=high
I also drove a 28ZX Scorpion that same week. There is a big difference between the T-350Mag & T-Scorpion 28. The T-350Mag 28 is a great boat, very solid and reasonably fast, probably close to 70 MPH. The T-Scorpion 28 is a real handful, lots of power and a real driver’s boat. At WOT and full trim the boat really likes to chine-walk, but what a rush. I had fun trying to drive out of the chine-walk and only had to let off once. I believe Donzi was claiming around 78 MPH for the 28ZX Scorpion. Unfortunately the two 28's I drove that week were so radically different, engine wise, that I couldn't really compare the ride of the 28ZX to that of the 28ZXO. I do believe the 28ZXO is a little heavier in the bow than the ZX but I'd have to confirm.

I love the Scorpion package but I’d probably never fork over that much cash for them. A better alternative is the new 6.2L (320 P.S.H.P.) engine. These engines can also be put in the 28 and are a lot less money for similar performance. I believe they also have better warranty coverage since most custom Mercruiser motors like the Scorpion only have a 1-year warranty.

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get into a 28ZX or ZXO for under $100K. Lower to mid $90's is more like it for a twin setup, and lower to mid $80's for a single big block setup. Twin-6.2's would probably add about $5-$6K to the price.

If I were you and interested in the 28ZXO I'd either order a new 2001 ZXO with twin 6.2's or start looking for one in a dealer's inventory. Sometimes your best option though is to look for an old model year boat sitting on a dealer’s lot, prices will usually be better on these and Donzi hasn't really changed anything since adding the stepped hull. Of course this wouldn't work for the ZXO since it just came out. Also, the 2002 model year will start in a couple of months and more than likely there will be a price increase.

Well have I bored you yet? Last of all remember we can deliver anywhere in the US. My dad just delivered a new 18-Classic to BadDog's father in NC, direct from the factory to NC. I haven't heard from them yet but my dad said they seemed very happy.

Bryan, I’m going to send you some more info to your e-mail.

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 04-27-2001).]

DONZIMAN2
04-27-2001, 11:40 AM
Rick, Nice Pics! Thanks.

STUNG_AGAIN
04-27-2001, 11:55 AM
Bryan if it was my Admiral I'd be scratching that itch with a WIRE BRUSH!! D-Man2 and I have a lot of gouge already to cut the distance from lot to house. Still time to have it delivered by mid-June and have lots of sunshine left to use it... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/cool.gif

I'm home now as is Dman2. Gonna do some trailer stuff and a little honey-doo. Boat's still in the water and "Tweety-Boy" is thinking about the opening Duck Inn beach party this afternoon. We'll see. Any more info on the barrier island run i.e. when, where, how?...Call me....

------------------

"...we sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would harm us..."

jdsdls
04-27-2001, 12:44 PM
Checkout www.oakdaleyacht.com (http://www.oakdaleyacht.com) they have an 99 28 zx for sale

Bryan Tuvell
04-27-2001, 03:31 PM
Thanks RICKS, I got your email, I didn't call sandollar today, we had a picnic and I was busy... the twin engine issue is a personal issue only that I like small blocks. I would buy a single BBC for the right price.
My goal is not to be the fastest of our foursome of boats, my goal is my wifes desires. 70MPH would be fine for me and if the BBC can do that I would consider it. I would hope to get low to mid $30's for the ZX. It has Z care and 180 hours and is mint bow to bilge.

So I am going to continue to shop, may wait until end of year, let Nancy ride in my buds new 26ZX and see if she see a noticable difference in ride. I am not easily convinced and I am not sure I want to double my payment to meet the needs required. I love the 22ZX and it performs well in rough water for low $'s. I haven't been past 65 this year and I am OK with that, the 3 blade was all over the rev limiter and now I am 4 blade bravo I, I am stuck at 4900 RPM unless I have my prop done some, that to is not justifiable money.

But thanks, and if you do see a real steal, like one with no graphics (my preference) let me know.
Bryan

roadtrip2
04-27-2001, 04:50 PM
Bryan, Bryan, Bryan!!!!!!!!!!
We must really talk and soon. Skip twins for a single big block, when you have a choice? NO, NO, and NO!!!!
I've had my share of performance boats from that other company where they put beaks on the front. The first was a 27 with a 500.
Wonderful boat with a top end of 76, but what a pig getting up out of the water. The 32 with 500s would get up in four seconds and top out at 88. Huge mid-range punch, easier to manuever, lower rpms at cruising speed, and better top end. Also, the twin was much more stable at speed with two drives hanging off the back.
If you have a choice in the same hull, always buy the twins. Drive'em both and you will become a believer. We'll talk at the AOTH. Peace brother, Todd

Bryan Tuvell
04-28-2001, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the advice Roadtrip, great points.
I will keep all that in mind. I have allot of research to do and it will be late this season if I move up.

see ya soon. Bryan

DONZIMAN2
04-28-2001, 11:08 PM
Bryan, If you want copies of the research stuff I gathered before I made my decision let me know. I got a bunch. I saw a Mag article the other day that did a test on a 28ZXO with 350 Mags. If you want I will pick it up for you. I think the 320 Horse 6.2's with closed loop cooling are the ones I would choose. I think that is going to be a nice package. It will probably be the only thing you can get pretty soon. Seems to be the direction that GM and Merc are going. The new motors will be the 496/377's in the future. My .02. See ya. Call me!

Dr. Dan
04-29-2001, 05:27 PM
Bryan, FYI,just got back from the Bay Bridge Boat show and guess what I Saw?(I took some photos if you're interested) They had a 28ZXO for $89K, 2001 with 350's I don't think they were Mags., got a salesmans name and card for you just in case, they also said they would be interested in your 22Zx in Trade? The North Atlantic Marine Group, Kevin Dunworth (sales)410-643-5400 ext.205,fax 410-643-7610,cell 410-251-2013 & Email at kdunworth@namg.net , Good Luck...Doc

HeavyP
04-30-2001, 04:08 PM
Bryan,

I am fairly new to this board, but I purchased a 28 ZX last year, and I am very happy with it. I have never been in a 22 ZX, but I moved up from a 22 Formula. The Formula rode pretty well for its size, but I was very impressed with the additional comfort in chop that came with the 28. I boat in the Bay and Lower Potomac, and there is almost always a chop so that was very important to me. You probably experience the same in the lower Bay if not worse.
I am planning a trip down your way sometime this summer, maybe we could hook up and you could gather some additional data to see if that's what you want.
Also, I opted for the scorpion package because the way Donzi priced the options I wanted, I found that nearly all of them were included with the Scorpion package. By the time I added what I wanted to the 28 ZX with twin 350's, I was up to the price of the Scorpion package. So in effect the engines themselves were no addition the bottom line.

Greg

[This message has been edited by HeavyP (edited 04-30-2001).]

Bryan Tuvell
04-30-2001, 06:56 PM
HeavyP... great info thanks, I am behind here on the BB, just got back from Fla.
The BBC at Sandollar is sold, they think...
my personal info is posted on the mwdonziclub web site, call me, I am game and would love to take a spin in your 28ZX...

I am still shopping but I am in the market.
Lets hook up!

Doc... SEND THE PICS..... Thank you... Aren't they the MD dealer, number rings a bell....
Bryan

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 04-30-2001).]

Dr. Dan
04-30-2001, 07:05 PM
Bryan, they are a Maryland Dealer but not Jackson,that's who you are thinking of. I'll have Liz get the film developed tomorrow and send them your way, take care...Doc

Bryan Tuvell
05-01-2001, 07:07 PM
UPDATE, several dealers are wearing out my phones... latest deal was 28ZXO T 350's, kPlanes, zero effort, q&quiet, hour M, depth, ultimate CD and a few other goodies (hey scub, a ski eye too). for my boat and 67K, I think I can do better.
The shopping continues.
Want to see how Bob's new 26ZX does, it arrived today.
Dealers are quoting twirs mid 70's MPH and single BBC about 67/68, regardless of block, 454, 496, 502. Big difference in cost though, about 15 to 20K.

After the call I went outside preped the 22 for sea tomorrow and said damn, I would hate to have empty pockets! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif
Bryan

Bryan Tuvell
05-05-2001, 10:51 PM
DOC, thanks for the package, it came today. I will save the photos and return them to you this summer if we hook up.
Thanks again. Bryan

Dr. Dan
05-06-2001, 10:21 AM
Big Bryan, Keep the photos, I'll try to catch you guys tonight on the phone, we'll get together soon I have some friends down your way and they'd love to go Donzi Splashing...Doc