PDA

View Full Version : some 1988 z-33 pics (new power)

33 crossbow
12-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Here is my 1988 z-33. The down below hase been changed, it is similar to "DONZI-GO's"33, all open look. I just re-powered it with some custom built 510ci 625hp big blocks. they are DART blocks w/ DART pro one aluminum heads and all the other roller goodies. we used stainless marine exhaust w/ custom dry pipes all the way out. It's LOUD!!!at 6000 RPM. :hyper: Next on the list is a pair of merc. 2" shorty sportmasters. I have been around 16s, 18s, and 22's all my life but this 33 has become an addiction. its great to see some of the other 33's out-there being re-done.

Dr. Dan
12-08-2004, 08:56 AM
;) Looks Great... I bet that Sucker is loud....how heavy is it and what kinda RPM's, Props, Speed ya running...?

Doc :bonk:

33 crossbow
12-08-2004, 09:06 AM
;) Looks Great... I bet that Sucker is loud....how heavy is it and what kinda RPM's, Props, Speed ya running...?

Doc :bonk:
The boat is about 7500lbs. Now i am running 26 pitch props (hydromitive and a set of bravo ones) i spin them at 6000 rpm and the boat runs in the low 80's ON GPS. My slip factor is about 18% which is horrid. so this summer i am going to play with more props and install the merc. 2" shorty sportmaster. Closer to 90 sure would be nice. Here are a few more pics as well.

Cuda
12-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Bet that old girl surprises a few newer boats doesn't it? :biggrin:

33 crossbow
12-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Bet that old girl surprizes a few newer boats doesn't it? :biggrin:
BIG TIME. This past summer i got olot of those guys in the new fountains and formulas doing the old "I'll show that guy" with all there buddys in there boat. It was great, i would stay up next to them, then tip them my BEER and say see ya as the hammer went down. It has been a fine time re-doing this 33. but the most satisfaction came the first time i felt the NEW power at my fingertips. And of course all the fun conversations at the bar "Everybody go's 80"

Trueser
12-08-2004, 09:46 AM
WOW .....

Where do you usually run? I would like to meet up with you next summer. We usually go out of Whitehall/ Saugatuck.

I have some other questions can I give you a call.

Mike

boldts
12-08-2004, 10:04 AM

Very nice! I second everyone else's responses. Looks like you like to have a good time also. Any chance you'd consider bringing her down to Lake Cumberland in KY next May? There may be a few 80 mph Donzis with us next year to keep ya company. Saturday evening at the dam is where the speed on the lake gathers. We could put dinner off a bit to watch a Donzi spank some other boat company's boats in the run what ya brung fun.

Don't forget the jackets and kill switch lanyards.

33 crossbow
12-08-2004, 10:16 AM

Very nice! I second everyone else's responses. Looks like you like to have a good time also. Any chance you'd consider bringing her down to Lake Cumberland in KY next May? There may be a few 80 mph Donzis with us next year to keep ya company. Saturday evening at the dam is where the speed on the lake gathers. We could put dinner off a bit to watch a Donzi spank some other boat company's boats in the run what ya brung fun.

Don't forget the jackets and kill switch lanyards.
Boy I tell ya, I sure get geeked up with the cool responce from you all. I would love to try a little bit of traveling. I do have a custom tripple axel trailer for it. Most of my boating is on LAKE ST. CLAIR . Call me any time. my office phone is (248)-457-0200, ask for Tim Frisch and my office e-mail is: tim@gafrisch.com. Or keep the post going on the registry, I am on it at least once per day. "in-between work" :yippie:

Red Rocket
12-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Nice boat !! 1988 was a great year with the Crossbow hatches. Where did you get the American flags on the front of the boat ?? Keep spankin' those Fountain's and Formula's !!! :cool:

Fish boy
12-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Wow, that is a great looking boat. Spoke with Don Westerman, the guy who designed it, a couple months before he passed away. He is a legend in the boating world and has designed for almost every major boat manufacturer during the 70,80, and part of the 90's (or had his designes copied). He said the 33 donzi is the best boat he ever designed. Good to see one so well taken care.

Keep us posted on the pics and welcome to the donzi registry.

Fish

Cuda
12-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Nice boat !! 1988 was a great year with the Crossbow hatches. Where did you get the American flags on the front of the boat ?? Keep spankin' those Fountain's and Formula's !!! :cool:

Easy on the Formula comments, my old girl has surprised a few herself! :biggrin:

33 crossbow
12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Easy on the Formula comments, my old girl has surprised a few herself! :biggrin:
Hey i wasent pointing fingers. just was saying who was behind me. ha.ha.ha. By the way, that formula is also a great lookin boat...... "race ya to the bar"

Ranman
12-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Tim,

Welcome. You're in good company. There are several of us on here whose home port is Lake St. Clair. Me, Donzi Jenn, Sam, olredalert, KRAVEN, Keith V, Doug G, the list goes on... We're mostly in classics, but you can find us out there almost any weekend hanging together.

There are also several other MI members who come to LSC each season. Rootsy, Tamburello, Doug L, etc. We typically have an informal Donzi get together out on the lake, where we'll all rtumble into Browns or Deckers and then we'll head over to the 'moot for the afternoon.

I see your first pic in in the moot as the Old Channel lights are in the background. I think I may have talked to you last summer about this site and one of the gatherings, but I'm not sure. I think it was a red 33, but I don't recall that windshield.

Stick around on the board and your Donzi fun factor will go up several notches next summer. Also, several of us from MI caravan down to the AOTH gathering in Lake Cumberland. You're welcome to travel with us if you choose to haul that beast down there.

One final thought, nice Donzi Girlz. :eek: :eek:

MADCOW = Michigan Area Donzi Cruisers on Water (somewhat a spoof on the SEADOGS)

33 crossbow
12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Tim,

Welcome. You're in good company. There are several of us on here whose home port is Lake St. Clair. Me, Donzi Jenn, Sam, olredalert, KRAVEN, Keith V, Doug G, the list goes on... We're mostly in classics, but you can find us out there almost any weekend hanging together.

There are also several other MI members who come to LSC each season. Rootsy, Tamburello, Doug L, etc. We typically have an informal Donzi get together out on the lake, where we'll all rtumble into Browns or Deckers and then we'll head over to the 'moot for the afternoon.

I see your first pic in in the moot as the Old Channel lights are in the background. I think I may have talked to you last summer about this site and one of the gatherings, but I'm not sure. I think it was a red 33, but I don't recall that windshield.

Stick around on the board and your Donzi fun factor will go up several notches next summer. Also, several of us from MI caravan down to the AOTH gathering in Lake Cumberland. You're welcome to travel with us if you choose to haul that beast down there.

One final thought, nice Donzi Girlz. :eek: :eek:

MADCOW = Michigan Area Donzi Cruisers on Water (somewhat a spoof on the SEADOGS)
This site is great. the only problem is it is impossable to get any work done. I plan on staying active on the registry and hope to see some of you on St. Clair or on an up and coming season some place. I did find a few more pic, some of which were taken in the "moot" and at browns. Two summers ago i did see some of you at a gathering, we met at brown's. The windshild was clear and the power was some what stock (454 mags). Check out the pic with the two carbs. The old on the left , new on the right. They dont use any fuel..... :banghead: Talk to you all soon. :p

The Hedgehog
12-08-2004, 05:35 PM
That is bad ass! I have to wait about another year before I can do my engine redo. It is great to see someone do that with a 33 Crossbow. I love to see the ole traditional-V getting in the 80's. Good job.

Donzigo
12-08-2004, 07:55 PM
.........WOW!..what a great job on this fine example of the Z series 33". Talk about raising the bar, dude you've done it. The work on the engines is superlative, nice, nice, boat.............Cuda, you've met your match, even with those Arneson drives, betcha you couldn't catch this lightning bolt!

My guess is that you yourself do the engine work, it's just flawless...........80MPH........."holy bat-boat, Robin, that's fast"!

OK, now I have come back to earth & regained my composure, how fast do you think a pair of 525 FWC engines would take this boat? My thought is to install a couple of 525's, at some point in time. Looks like I'm gonna have to do that pretty soon, to maintain bragging rights, with you around.

Very nice boat, for sure.

I'm drooling in Florida!

Cuda
12-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Richard, did you get your interior back from PPI?

Cuda
12-08-2004, 08:19 PM
....Cuda, you've met your match, even with those Arneson drives, betcha you couldn't catch this lightning bolt!

!

Don't make me drop blowers on top of my 420's! :biggrin:

Sam
12-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Tim, good to hear from you, I've seen you around on the water but haven't had a chance to meet you yet. Like Randy said there is a good group of Donzi owners on the lake as well as many Donzi visitors. I'll bring my DCB meter out for some fun at the transom end, waht do you think 110-115 dcb.

You really need to bring that bad boy down to Cumberland. We always have at least six boats or so for the ride down. Give me a shout if you want to do lunch, my office is in Bloomfield Hills (248-335-4440 ext 125) not far from anywhere. Don't ya just love red.

Cheers !
Sam :cool:

Craig Lawrence
12-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Kool Repower It's great to see people keeping these classics up,really good job crossbow.Did you have kings in there before? I have rebuilt my 502 KING COBRA's in my 92 z33. only running in the low 60s though. Now the drives wont hold together , got any?

tamburello
12-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Wow! Great work on your Z-33, it's simply gorgeous. I really like the white windshield and red porthole treatment. I hope to see your ride and meet you in person some time. BTW - You East side Donzi guys know how to have fun.

- Jeff

33 crossbow
12-09-2004, 08:02 AM
Wow! Great work on your Z-33, it's simply gorgeous. I really like the white windshield and red porthole treatment. I hope to see your ride and meet you in person some time. BTW - You East side Donzi guys know how to have fun.

- Jeff
Thanks again, eveybody for all the awsome input on my boat.

CRAIG LARENCE: My boat came with the 454 mag and brovo one setup. The only drive parts i have are the stock bravo lowers. Sorry i cant help, but i will keep my eyes open for any parts or info on the king cobras.

CUDA: I am going to the MERC. 2" shorty sportmaster. However i do wish i had th ARNESON setup. Not only do they hear you coming but they see ya to with those big rooster tails off them arneson's.

:confused: IS IT SUMMER YET???? Im ready to go boating. Cumberland sounds awsome, and we need to do more ST. CLAIR hanging out in the "moot".

:rlol: I found a few more pics. We had th hook with the MERC. guys in key west. The yellow boat (WHM/BORGETE) thats me on the right. Check out that MERC. sportmaster on the Pantara boat.
TIM

HotRodr56
12-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Great looking Z33 and super engines. You inspire me to persevere with my own project. I am currently rebuilding the port engine in my 33 for the coming season, wish I could afford some monster motors but that will have to wait. Can you tell me, about what speed did you run with the twin stock mags?

33 crossbow
12-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Great looking Z33 and super engines. You inspire me to persevere with my own project. I am currently rebuilding the port engine in my 33 for the coming season, wish I could afford some monster motors but that will have to wait. Can you tell me, about what speed did you run with the twin stock mags?

With the stock engines, i did have exhaust (IMCO) and was running 25 p. 3 blade marage props and seeing speeds of around 68-69mph on GPS. The following year i put BRODIX intakes and went to a holly/Gary williams carbs, and also went to a lab finished 26p bravo one 4 blade. the top end was about the same but mu crusing speed went up about 5 mph.

Cuda
12-09-2004, 08:27 PM
CUDA: I am going to the MERC. 2" shorty sportmaster. However i do wish i had th ARNESON setup. Not only do they hear you coming but they see ya to with those big rooster tails off them arneson's.

TIM

Mine are actually Kaama drives. If I'm not mistaken, Donzi put out a couple Z33's with Kaamas.

33 crossbow
12-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Mine are actually Kaama drives. If I'm not mistaken, Donzi put out a couple Z33's with Kaamas.

Yep, you are correct. The surface drive was an option. I with i had them on mine. :frown:

Craig Lawrence
12-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Crossbow ,I was wondering if you know what kind of pipes are on thWHM/Borgete the yellow boat they look water cooled to the transom and dry inside ,could be good for a radical cam ?
Thanks again, eveybody for all the awsome input on my boat.
CRAIG LARENCE: My boat came with the 454 mag and brovo one setup. The only drive parts i have are the stock bravo lowers. Sorry i cant help, but i will keep my eyes open for any parts or info on the king cobras.

http://www.donzi.net/ubb/confused.gif IS IT SUMMER YET???? Im ready to go boating. Cumberland sounds awsome, and we need to do more ST. CLAIR hanging out in the "moot".

:rlol: I found a few more pics. We had th hook with the MERC. guys in key west. The yellow boat (WHM/BORGETE) thats me on the right. Check out that MERC. sportmaster on the Pantara boat.
TIM

33 crossbow
12-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Crossbow ,I was wondering if you know what kind of pipes are on thWHM/Borgete the yellow boat they look water cooled to the transom and dry inside ,could be good for a radical cam ?

The pipes are dry all the way out the back. I am not shure what brand is on the WHM boat. Mine are STAINLESS MARINE, and i had them make them dry all the way out. My cam has 16 degrees of overlap. Water reversion would have been a BIG problem. The only problem with the water jacketed tail pipes is that they are loud...... even more loud depending on wide open rpm. I run mine at 6000-6100. :rlol:

Ranman
12-15-2004, 08:18 AM
I run mine at 6000-6100

Are you spinning Bravos that fast? Are they stock Bravos? How are you getting them to last behind that behemoth. :smash: I thought 5000 - 5200 was the max for a B1.

33 crossbow
12-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Are you spinning Bravos that fast? Are they stock Bravos? How are you getting them to last behind that behemoth. :smash: I thought 5000 - 5200 was the max for a B1.

Yes they are bravo ones. The drives are now appart, and we found thar the gear sets have been upgraded. :biggrin: we are putting new and better bearings in, allong with the 2" sportmaster shorty. I have brought up the question though not ony the high RPM but the HP and FT. Lbs. A brovo is only good for 500 of so. My outdrive buddy said "Tim" its all in how you drive it. I said: What ever you say BOSS!!!!! :cool!: :cool!:

Craig Lawrence
12-16-2004, 12:13 AM
iam:canada:,just starting to realize what is going on , thanks for the info Tim.

The pipes are dry all the way out the back. I am not shure what brand is on the WHM boat. Mine are STAINLESS MARINE, and i had them make them dry all the way out. My cam has 16 degrees of overlap. Water reversion would have been a BIG problem. The only problem with the water jacketed tail pipes is that they are loud...... even more loud depending on wide open rpm. I run mine at 6000-6100. :rlol:

olredalert
12-16-2004, 08:54 AM
--------I have seen Tims "VERY CQQL" 33 out on the water and was more than impressed! As well, he and his buddies seem to be hard-core go-fasters. None of us are similarly addicted around here, are we? Nope, none of us!!!!!!........Bill S

elramone
12-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey Tim.
..wow..nice motors...Is it possible to plug the guy who did this work. We should share with the rest of the world our good fortune with this guy....hes very talented and I think he is migrating to a full time engine shop of his own. Only problem is the whole country might be coming to him so us earlies will have to fight for a spot in the future....lol.

harbormaster
12-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Tim,
I love the name of your boat. What size holleys are those?

33 crossbow
12-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Tim,
I love the name of your boat. What size holleys are those?

ELAMONE: Check out the post BIG BLOCK POWER under performance talk. It is all about my buddy Joe Soller (SRE). Soller Racing Engines. You want it done write you go to Joe!!!!
HARBORMASTER: The carbs are a PRO SYSTEMS mod. 1050 Dominators. PRO SYSTEMS is over on the west side of Michigan.

Tim

Crossbow
12-20-2004, 05:15 PM
:beer: Tim, Love what you've done with that boat I also have an 88 Crossbow ,still running stock 454's with bravo 1's,Hope to someday bring it up into the 80 mph range ,kinda just waiting to blow these stock units for an excuse to upgrade ,SPEED COSTS MONEY ,HOW FAST CAN YOU AFFORD TO GO !!! Somedayyyyyyy. Anyway I would love to know how and what you used to white out your winshield ,I've been having trouble with the sun cooking my G P S unit ,this may be a good way to cure that problem ,Would appreiciate any input you have ,THanks in advance and Keep the crossbows flying ....................RICH :eek!:

Crossbow
12-22-2004, 06:42 PM
:wavey: ttt :chillpill

33 crossbow
12-27-2004, 07:46 AM
:wavey: ttt :chillpill

CROSSBOW: I used a white poly carbon sheet plastic. I had it cut to size, using the old windshield as a templete. The install was pretty tuff!!!! getting the new stuff to bend at the corners.

Tim