PDA

View Full Version : Paint code for 1966 16 Ski Sporter??

Jasonbighands
12-07-2004, 04:49 PM
I am restoring a '66 16 and I am going to paint as opposed to gel, but what is the way I would find what color of Red to use. It is going to look just like the promo pic I attached with the fully red hull. Can anybody help???

mattyboy
12-07-2004, 08:21 PM
the red was called lucan red, not sure on the MFG or the code tho,
the pic you posted is from the 69 sales brochure i think
the earlier red was a lil deeper(darker) then the newer models

wonderful thing the search bar

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80&highlight=paint+codes

Greg
12-08-2004, 08:05 AM
On the '66 color chart it lists:Colors and fiberglass by Ferro. Lucan Red is (VF1828) Hope this helps. I think the company is still around.

ALF
12-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Does anyone have a web address for a Donzi paint codes chart or know where this info can be found ? Dealers are not much help on older boats.

Greg
12-08-2004, 06:05 PM
I have 2 original color charts that came with my '66 Donzi. The darker of the two colors that Mat spoke of is Kandy Apple Red, Ferro Mfg. # VF1830. I have two original color charts. They have always been kept in a folder out of sunlite. I've tried scanning them in, but my scanner does'nt give an accurate reproduction. I think the only way to properly reproduce them is to have them copied, colors checked and snailmailed.

Jasonbighands
12-15-2004, 01:09 AM
These are gelcoat codes. My boat is going to be painted, anybody help?

gcarter
12-15-2004, 05:21 AM
For my Minx, I went to an automotive paint shop and had it hand matched.This takes awhile, maybe three or four hours and they don't charge for it. I was matching my stripe and sides, so I took in my engine hatch. They also provided me with a code so they could duplicate it in the future.

Greg
12-16-2004, 08:56 AM
First chance I get I am going to get those charts copied by a reputable color copier. Things are just kind of busy around here right now. If you want one let me know and I will see that you get one.

BobinCovington
06-30-2010, 11:44 PM
old thread...but anyone still have the 66 color charts or codes?

gcarter
07-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Maybe someone should say strongly that Donzi has always gelcoated their boats until very recently.
The code for any particular color will be the gel color code from the gel mfgr being used by Donzi at that time (Ferro, Minicraft, and others).
Minicraft (minicraft.com) might offer the same gel color but under a different code (their code, not Donzi's code).
The point is, there's no universal code for gel/paint for Donzi boats.
It would be helpful if people understood this.
The best thing you can do (and cheapest) is to pick your favorite high end automotive paint mfgr and have them match the existing color.
The alternative would be to order some patch paste from your favorite gel mfgr that offers accurate Donzi colors. Make a sample you can take to your favorite high end automotive paint store to match. The patch paste is going to cost $60.00-$100.00.
Unfortunately, printed liturature color samples will only get you in the ball park, but won't be good for accurately matching an existing color.

An example, my TR project was gelled in the common Donzi red of the '80's. I thought that shade of red wasn't as "bright" as the Donzi red used post 2000, like on the Arronow Edition.
I gelled the TR in the later shade and then took the center floor hatch to the local BASF automotive paint store and they were able to perfectly match the gel color.

Anyway guys, you're basically on your own.
Just get it done.

mattyboy
07-01-2010, 07:14 AM
the color is GRUMBLE green check ferro for gelcoat

http://www.donzi.net/forums/easy_pages.php?p=3

http://www.donzi.net/cat/cat66/pix/16folder2.gif

BobinCovington
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks Matty,
I am just doing my best to "measure twice and cut once" on getting the correct grumble green color. That picture in the Boating news you linked is our boat (that is what my dad was told when he purchased it...but I am trying to find some way to confirm that).

Its funny, I'll bet you can tell who on here is actively restoring an old boat, because they are probably like me frantically posting all kinds of questions about obscure items they need (shift knobs, gel coat color, outdrives)