PDA

View Full Version : 350 Chevy Oil Stick Problem

raritan
12-06-2004, 08:47 PM
I cant suck out the oil thru the dipstick tube. It seems there is an obstruction at the block. Anybody else have this problem... And yes I am trying to use a vacuum pump not human vacuum :)
:D

MOP
12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
If you have the stock Screw on tube good chance you have an air leak, the slightest leak and it will not pull the oil out. Make sure the gaskets are good check both ends. Also you can also try pouring oil into the sucker tube to prime the pump before you start it.

Phil

raritan
12-07-2004, 07:06 PM
There is a physical obstruction at the block level. The tube will not go down to the pan. I have other chevy engines and its not a problem. I cant figgur out what the obstruction is.

marcdups
12-07-2004, 07:10 PM
What tube are you trying to put down the oil pan?? all you have to do is have a decent vane pump and a 3/8 hose and cram it on the dipstick tube or a garden hose fitting with gasket, there is no need to stick a hose all the way into the pan as the dipstick goes all the way to the bottom !!

MOP
12-07-2004, 08:00 PM
I think what you are trying to do is use the small black tube similar to Bennett trim tab tubing, you must have a regular dip stick not a marine one. Try cutting the end of the tube at a little more than a 45 degree angle so it is pointy, if you still hit the obstruction try rotating it slowly you should find a spot it will go by.
You may want to find one of the "Fram" pan drain kits and end the draining hassle forever, I got one for my new motor. It it very inexpensive and fool proof and no oil mess in the bilge.
It has a simple but effective valve built in the the pan plug Assembly that only opens when the extraction tube is screwed on. There is a hose on the attaching fitting that can be routed out the boats drain plug and into a bucket, it sells for under $15 and is well made. The only thing you need to know is which style drain plug you have for instance Chevy has two different types early or late metric. Look at the package carefully as the kits are make for many make engines.
Scroll down or check the Product/Accessories section on the Fram site.
http://www.framx2.com/news/index.html

Phil

raritan
12-07-2004, 09:50 PM
I have a 10 quart pan in an early skisporter. In order to get to the filter of the drain plug it is necessary to remove the exhaust manifold. The oil stick tube is merely pressed in and you can rotate it. Obviously not airtight. I would like to replace the manifolds (osco) with lightweight units but absolutely none will fit under the engine cover and I will not alter the original cover on a 1965 boat. So I have a problem. Oh yea, the only thing t hat will pass down into the pan is a dipstick. Nothing round will pass thru.