PDA

View Full Version : Loose Motor Mount?

RedDog
12-05-2004, 05:42 PM
I assume the starboard mount in the first picture should look like the port mount in the second picture? Why the difference in the vertical position on the mount - i.e., it looks like the port side is much higher.
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/408Starboard-Mount-med.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/500/408Port-Mount-med.jpg

gcarter
12-05-2004, 06:10 PM
It looks like it's alignment time!
:wavey:

Greg
12-05-2004, 06:16 PM
On my Merc. setup both are the same. Have you checked for any up and down movement? Have you checked the position of the mounts on the stringers? I'm not real experenced but that doesn't look right. On my '66-18 the old 289 Volvo was mounted in there with one side lower than the other. I always wondered if there was a reason for that.

gcarter
12-05-2004, 07:06 PM
I really think it would be wise to re-align the engine. Assuming the rear mounts are tied down, you may be wracking the engine, i.e. all the load on one of the front mounts (but which one?). :confused:
When you do re-align it, put some lock nuts on top of the top nuts, someone recently suggested that to me.

:wavey:

Trueser
12-05-2004, 08:03 PM
The starboard mount I found on all my boats were loose.I'm not sure but I would try to double up with a lock nut. That is why I went with the offshore mounts on the Z29.

For sure you need to check the alignment!!!!

RedDog
12-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks all - You have confirmed my thought that an alignment check is in order. I'll haul her over to the shop this winter for a check / fix.

When I first saw this, I thought the starboard TOP nut had backed off. But now after thinking about it and seeing the port side, it seems the starboard BOTTOM nut has creeped down?

ToonaFish
12-05-2004, 11:02 PM
the... BOTTOM nut has creeped down?

Don't ya just hate it when that happens...

Bunches,

Celene 'properly mounted'

BUIZILLA
12-06-2004, 07:45 AM
RD, if it was me, I would do what the Almighty Dog says :yes: , and just run the bottom nut up and see what happens. The top nut has obviously never moved. I would start there for sure, you may not have to do anything else.. :cool:

JH

RickR
12-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Reddog
I have an alignment too if you want to borrow it :)

Walt. H.
12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
R.Dog,

Just like it was mentioned by poodle, the lower nut loosened and back down because the lock tab wasn't bent over to prevent this. Normal vibration and torque was the cause, re-adjust it back up and check the alignment then secure that tab. Alignment check is something that is good to do every other year anyway along with freshening up the spline grease.

Note, alignment can change over a period of time with-out anything coming loose, that is while it should be checked every two years.

Its good to see you have a nylon-lock nut on top so we know
that didn't move even though there was no tension on it.

Walt :wavey:

gcarter
12-06-2004, 01:01 PM
You know Walt, Scott, and Jim you're right. I posted too quick. When I was trying to align mine, I had some of the nuts machined .10". These thin nuts would make great lock nuts for under the mount.

Walt. H.
12-07-2004, 01:36 AM
George,
Yes I did that too but I used a hacksaw on my spare nut and made two or three out of one, then filed everything nice and smooth. Ahrrrrrrrrr?? :bonk: let me re-phrase that term ( my engine mount nuts) :biggrin.:

Walt :wink:

RickSE
12-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Here's a question for the experts. How do you align an engine that's mounted in with an offshore bracket? Doesn't seem like there is an easy way since there's no fine adjustment. Just break the bolts loose and go for it? Seems like you could really get things out of alignment in a hurry without having a way to control where the motor goes after the bolts are loose.

Trueser
12-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Offshore mounts should not go out of adjustment. You may have someting else going on or It may be the engine wasnt adjusted properly to begin with. I had mine installed and found that they were not adjusted correctly. So I pulled the engines and re adjusted myself. I had to replace the angle brackets.

Good Luck

Mike

mjbtx
12-09-2004, 08:37 PM
I'll have to post some pics of my 33' ZX motor mounts.
They got loose on the starboard motor/drive and wallowed
out all the splines on the coupler.....bad news! The
one front motor mount was loose enough that the
engine torqued the mount hard enought, it put a crack in
the stringer!

RickSE
12-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Mine is fine right now. Just wondering what it'll take if I discover it's out of alignment when I check it. 40-hours on mine since it left the factory 3-years ago so the plan is to check the alignment before I go out again next season.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-10-2004, 06:36 PM
REDDOG, all good data as posted.
The EXACT same thing happen to my Brand New 26ZX in 2003 after 160 hours.
Merc Cert Mech blamed Donzi for not bending down the tab.
Mounts were starting to corrode then, $500 later, replaced and installed correctly, no more issues. On some boats a motor pull is in order to replace, in the 26ZX they were able to do it with out a motor pull.
I had NO alignment issues from the bottom nut creeping down, I was lucky, caught at annual maitenance.
Keep us posted.
Bryan Tuvell
33ZX

mjbtx
12-11-2004, 10:50 AM
Yeah, Bryan, mine on my 33ZX were loose and corroded.
Should Merc cover this under warranty if you can document
having it checked on the annual maintenance?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-12-2004, 09:40 AM
I doubt Merc will cover a coupler, in any circumstance.
Send them pic's of the 33ZX mount, you have peaked my curiosity.
Bryan Tuvell

2003 33ZX