PDA

View Full Version : Blue beast visits Babylon!

MOP
12-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Well thanks to Artie (RT) on the board, the Blue Beast has a warm place for the long over due project to begin. With a bit of pushing, floor jacking and hitch removal we got 27 feet of trailer and boat in on a 45 in a 26X28 barn. Actually got to spin a few wrenches today, pulled drive and engine hatch will gut out mechanicals over the next few weeks to get ready for new setup. Then on to bilge glass work and beef up. Arts place is 46 miles and 45 minutes away so I hope to get two maybe 2 days a week in, hopefully will be back together by mid Feb. For now still doing film so pics will be slow. Maybe Bonnie will snag me a digital for Xmas!!

Some shots finally! Art's garage, getting the boat in which was an interesting proposition.

penbroke
12-04-2004, 10:47 PM
:cool: Good luck and stay warm!!

Frank :beer:

gcarter
12-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Have fun Phil!!! :kyle: :boat:

MOP
12-05-2004, 08:12 AM
George you did help in making the final dicission, as you said it will force me to be more organized. Will update this one off and on.

Phil

Walt. H.
12-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Phil,
Good to hear you finally got started. :yes:

As it is stated "a long journey begins with a first step" but I think "the first steps are the hardest in a long journey." :biggrin.:

Instead of a digital camera a few halogen tri-pod mount lights might be more of what you'll need. :embarasse
They'll help keep ya warm as well. :crossfing

Walt :wrench:

MOP
12-05-2004, 09:31 AM
Got good lighting and a Kero tube heater, good for working but will have to use heat lamps for glass work. I hope the steps go smoothly, spring will tell.

Phil

Lenny
12-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Phil, just a small point, but the by product of combustion on the Kerosene tube heaters (any Kerosene heater) is CO. Carbon Monoxide :eek: Been there, done that. If you don't want to fall asleep working on it you better think about some ventilation and maybe a meter. :yes:

MOP
12-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, finally grabbed a few hours and got down to work on the 22 this afternoon. Begrudgingly I got the 300 loose and ready to come out. Darn thing runs so strong I wish I could afford an 18 hull, another chore for another life! It was nice working on an "almost" fresh water rig, don't believe it saw salt before I got it, except for the T&T pump bracket which was not bad rust was near nil. The back two mounts once cracked slipped right out with a 3/8 drive, a treat I have had to drill them out on a few other occasions. Shooting for early next week to pull it out, scheduling time is an issue the distance and time of year. I have used those tube heaters for years, I am careful and run them with the door open sucking fresh air. I had a Salamander in my garage when I was a teen, you talk about foul & dangerous.

Below pics of 20 year old rear motor mount bolts, out by me I have seen guys drill them out after 4 or 5 years.

MOP

Cuda
12-09-2004, 06:06 AM
What are you doing to it?

MOP
12-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Cuda I am finally doing the swap to the 383 and BH drive, hopefully it will do what I want able to run well in a decent chop. Am looking for a higher cruise would like to hit 50, may be a dream not really shooting for top end. Though in retrospect if I had run the boat before I got this deep I probably would have not giving the mod much thought. The boat as it sits with the exhaust change cruises low 40+ and top out at 61+, and is super fuel efficient. Some says it will be better due to BH having less slip, I am going to try to run B3 wheels at the stock Alpha X. Obviously they are not surfacing props but at that X it should run similar to a shorty, time will tell. I use it for work and play being a boat broker it saves a ton of time getting to places where road traffic is unreal, it takes me 4-5 hours round trip by car to go to Montauk but only about 25 minutes in the 22. I can hit several marinas in half the time it use to take. So far I have had all good sports, even the few times it got rough coming back. If it don't work out I can sell the BH and bolt a Bravo on.

Phil

MOP
12-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Well today the engine came out in one big chunk headers and all not very reminiscent of the pull on my 16. Artie said its now or never as he lowered the chain fall hook over the 300, he knows I have had a hell of a time emotions about pulling such a good motor out of the hole. Well I did it and did manage to get a few of the goodies off. Need to get the 300 ready for its new owner and strip all the Alpha stuff off the hull, once thats done then I can get going on the engine bay. Don't want bring the new engine down until all dirty work is done and have gotten my mess cleaned up.
So now the die has been cast, the 300 has a home, as does the Alpha package the 383 and BH is becoming a realization. No pics yet but coming!!! Still have not pulled the trigger on a digital but have some good shots on that plastic stuff to be developed.

Phil

MOP
01-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Shot some pics the GPS on the last 04 run with the 300 only one came out, was blowing about 25 out of the north. Did not hit my 1000 Island speed of 61.9 but close, not bad running head on into wind and three foot chop. Hoping the swap puts it in the upper 60's in 05.

MOP
02-09-2005, 08:31 PM
TT a few pic's up top! More soon.

Phil

MOP
02-15-2005, 07:03 AM
TTT a few more shots up in the posts.