PDA

View Full Version : 18 C V-Drive owners

JP BRESCIA
12-04-2004, 06:17 PM
I am looking for an owner of an 18 Vdrive to chime in on performance issues. I did a search on v-drive but didn't find a specific topic on performance relative to the 18 v-drive. Since each classic has significant performance/handling differences depending on the length, I am looking for feedback on the 18 v-drive specifically. What differences relative to performance, handling, turning, reliability,etc. are there between a v-drive and sterndrive. Any feedback is appreciated.

v-drive
12-07-2004, 05:07 PM
If your looking for performance data on a 18 v-drive I guess I can chime in. The gps says 61mph in glassy smooth water. 67mph in a rough chop. If my boat was a sterndrive where I could trim the nose up I think it would run 7-10mph faster. As far as handling goes, at wot it has no porpoising or chine walking. You can let go of the wheel in any water conditions and the boat will run straight as an arrow for miles. I'v only rode in one other donzi but I figure a sterndrive would turn better. When I go back in a cove I feel like I need a 10 acre field to turn around. As far as reliability, the only thing that can wear out in the v-drive transmisson is bearings and u-joints. A rebuild kit would be a couple hundred dollars. One thing I like about the v-drive is the 3-speed transmisson that has been added. It shifts out of first about 10mph, but at wot holds in second till about 45mph. I can be running 30-35mph and stand on it, and it will downshift to second, wind to 6000rpm and upshift to third. I felt like I had gobs of bottom and mid range power compared to the other donzi I rode in. After saying all that, I think both boats has advantages and disadvantages.

boldts
12-08-2004, 11:25 AM
JP,

Here is an owner of a 427 V-drive 18' Classic from TN. Not sure if the owner still has the boat or not, but you can give them a shot if you like.

Richy Willett - (pwdrcoat@icx.net)
3605 Decatur Highway
Kingston, TN 37763
(865) 376-4511
1970 18' Classic - 427 HM with V-Drive

I've not seen one of these yet and sure would love to see a few examples of this unique Donzi at our annual Lake Cumberland Donzi gathering in May of 05.

Hummm, my holiday wish list goes something like: Next year at AOTH V - Donzi Spitfires, Minxs, Classics, ZXs, ZFs, Hornets, Dorals, Ragazzas, Criterians, St. Topas, X-18s, Zs, Sportsmans, Blackhawks, Outboards, Babies, Black Widows, ZR (fat chance, but hey, it's my wish list!), Corsicans and any other models I may have missed or forgotten all wrapped up in a nice 4 or 5 page Hot Boat layout/story about how Donzi owners love their boats and the friendships made at annual Donzi gatherings!

Sorry, fell into a dream world again. Back to the subject.

JP BRESCIA
12-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks fellas. I will take your comments into consideration. I like idea of a v-drive for the cool factor and rarety. I am not sure about the slow speed manuverablilty and lack of ability to tilt up in sudden shallow waters.

RedDog
12-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Here is an owner of a 427 V-drive 18' Classic from TN... - ahhhh, that would be V-Drive one post above yours :jestera:

lee
12-08-2004, 03:47 PM
what engine are you running are you using trim tabs if so what size am doing a full restoration could use any help
If your looking for performance data on a 18 v-drive I guess I can chime in. The gps says 61mph in glassy smooth water. 67mph in a rough chop. If my boat was a sterndrive where I could trim the nose up I think it would run 7-10mph faster. As far as handling goes, at wot it has no porpoising or chine walking. You can let go of the wheel in any water conditions and the boat will run straight as an arrow for miles. I'v only rode in one other donzi but I figure a sterndrive would turn better. When I go back in a cove I feel like I need a 10 acre field to turn around. As far as reliability, the only thing that can wear out in the v-drive transmisson is bearings and u-joints. A rebuild kit would be a couple hundred dollars. One thing I like about the v-drive is the 3-speed transmisson that has been added. It shifts out of first about 10mph, but at wot holds in second till about 45mph. I can be running 30-35mph and stand on it, and it will downshift to second, wind to 6000rpm and upshift to third. I felt like I had gobs of bottom and mid range power compared to the other donzi I rode in. After saying all that, I think both boats has advantages and disadvantages.

MOP
12-08-2004, 04:09 PM
What kind of transmission was installed? A transmission has alway intrigued me. Years back I went to a lobster boat race up in Maine, I could not believe the accelleration of some of the boats most all were 35 foot and better. I asked what the heck they were running, a fellow said most were running Buicks and Olds motors with the car transmissions. I can just imagine how well your 18 comes out of the hole and passing gear how cool!

Phil

v-drive
12-08-2004, 08:09 PM
The original transmisson was a borg warner velvet drive, which is your basic forward, nuetral and reverse. The ford bellhousing was machined off then mated to a turbo 400. The transmisson uses a spline drive which bolts the input shaft directly to the flywheel so it doesn't use a torque converter. Lee asked a question about trim tabs. I installed a set but only use them at skiing speed, any other time they stay all the way up. You have to remember, I don't need any help putting my nose down. If anybody was interested in making a v-drive run faster, I would remove the hook in the hull then let the trim tabs take care of bringing the nose back down. Since my boat has the original gel coat I didn't want to do this. I have tried 12 props over the years and my favorite is a 4-blade. It seems to have better bottom and mid range, alot smoother, with about 1mph loss on top end compared to my best 3-blade.

boldts
12-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks RedDog! Sorry V-Drive, brain dead at work sometimes. I love your Classic and would love to see it in person sometime. The wow factor of a 427 H/M engine in an 18' boat has to just be the ultimate!

Lenny
12-09-2004, 10:34 AM
V-drive, the 18 does not have any hook in the hull. The 16 on outer strake area does, but not the 18. I can put a straight edge on mine, inner or outer strake areas, and she is dead flat.

v-drive
12-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Lenny, mine has hook the last 2 feet all the way across. I'v put a straight edge on it many times. I wish it wasn't so.

Lenny
12-09-2004, 10:27 PM
hmmmm :confused:

Makes me wonder if in V-drive configuration the motor pushing on the Casale or Walter (or in your case, transmission) has "buckled the hull".

I would love to hear from other 18 owners, I/O, but seriously, as far as I know, the 18 is not a hooked hull, nor does it act like one in stock form.

:confused: