PDA

View Full Version : A little levity!

MOP
12-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Toilet Seat -
It isn't widely known, but the first toilet seat was invented by a Polish
scientist in the 18th century. The invention was later modified by a Jewish inventor who put a hole in the seat.

Ten Commandments -
The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a Courthouse! You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery" and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians!! It creates a hostile work environment.

Zero Gravity -
When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion developing a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C. The Russians used a pencil. Your taxes will be due again--enjoy paying them.

Our Constitution -
"They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years and, well, we're not using it anymore.

Formula Jr
12-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Interesting story about the zero Grav Pen. Too bad it never happened. :)

Parker developed the gas charged valve regulated pen independent of the Space Program and then donated the first ones to NASA. Didn't cost tax payers a penny.

Ed Donnelly
12-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Gee, does that mean the toilet story isn't true either? Ed Donnellski

gcarter
12-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Memories, memories....
I started working at NASA about halfway between the Apollo fire and the launch of Apollo VII.
I don't remember the details of the pen....
what I DO remember is the paper that was developed that was fireproof. Remember, after the fire, EVERYTHING was fireproof!
Well the paper was developed, but nothing would write on it, including pencils. The Russians, you see, didn't care if their pilots got burned up or not. :puke: So one of the pen's developers criteria was to develop an ink that would write on the fireproof paper. :banghead:

mattyboy
12-03-2004, 08:52 PM
wow that's some funny stuff????

Walt. H.
12-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Matty,

Maybe someone could event a saw blade that turns into a buffing pad when tossed up onto a Donzi's deck. :rlol: :D

Payed for by banks and repo men everywhere. :biggrin:

Walt

David O
12-04-2004, 05:20 AM
formular Jr.
I am not defending MOP cause I haven't a clue but it sounds reasonable to me. Would his statement on pens been better worded if written as below.

Zero Gravity -
When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion TRYING to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C. They (NASA) never acclomplished it but a guy named, Parker developed the gas charged valve regulated pen independent of the Space Program and then donated the first ones to NASA. Didn't cost tax payers a penny.
The Russians used a pencil. Your taxes will be due again--enjoy paying them.

So since you post only facts, just how much did NASA spend on trying to develop a pen before the technology was GIVEN to them?
David

gcarter
12-04-2004, 06:54 AM
WOW!
What happened after I signed off last night? :eek!:

mattyboy
12-04-2004, 07:28 AM
a little levity NOT!!!! :eek: ;)

strong breeze out of the north 10 -15 mph

ToonaFish
12-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Hmmh... let me go check...

Yep, it's officially winter! Fuel cells, anyone? :biggrin.:

Dr. Dan
12-04-2004, 08:04 AM
:smash: Gotta love the subtlety..... I have always enjoyed Owens view.... but I am sure I missed a little somethin, somethin...? Matty...pass the Popcorn adn get me another Beer while you're at it....Todd where are those damn Cigars...

Doc....Just Wondering WTF Happened :beer:

Gotta Love a Train Wreck

Cuda
12-04-2004, 08:12 AM
can we just come to some sort of agreement that anything MOP cuts and pastes is bull****. Don't get me wrong, Phil is great on the boat stuff. But you know anyone can post their e-mail stuff here. Whats the point of that? Phil doesn't check this stuff out before hand. And he should. If I send money in to this board, it isn't to give someone a free ride to spread disinformation. And right now I'm not sure why I would ever send money to this board since some people made it their very own personal political platform via avitars. I AM still really pissed off at the crap put here during the election. It would have mattered if it was true. I would have liked that. But it wasn't true. It was crap. Phil, figure out what you are posting before you do it, saying you are just repeating an e-mail does not cut it. As does the racist jokes here. There is an odd trend here where people are comfortable with "notyourcheese" and "your ass is the same as your face" kind of jokes. Thats fine, but there better be more blond jokes here kids in the near future if this is going to stay fun. I will not be a part of some country club that thinks its oky to put other people down with out some sign that we are also laughing at ourselves. Unless they own Bayliners or shop at Wal-mart....then its oky.

Owen, get off your soapbox anyway. I don't think avatars are going to be the downfall of society. I don't know what side of the election you were on, but based on this post, I can guess. Also, while you're at it, explain why you have to use one of MOP's threads to lash out about all percieved ills of this board? Get a grip, and quit taking yourself so seriously.

Walt. H.
12-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Geeze!!!

I thought I get stressed out sometimes.

Sounds like to much caffeine and not enough? well i'll leave that up to you. :biggrin.: :spongebob

Phil has done nothing wrong and doesn't deserve that type of a written tongue lashing. By bashing him your bashing the rest of us. :incredibl :splat:

Now let me tell you what the first thing a blonde does when she gets up in the morning, she goes home. :p

Walt :cool:

gcarter
12-04-2004, 09:48 AM
You know, they're holding group counseling sessions for frustrated Democrats here in Florida. They spend the first 20 minutes doing nothing but angrily yelling Bush! Bush! Bush!

:jestera: :biggrin: :) :rolleyes:

MOP
12-04-2004, 10:27 AM
I did not get to read Formula Jr's on the board, it was mailed to me this AM. After clearing my foggy head and reading it a few times I do not feel he really meant to direct it at me, though I deserve a hit now and then. We all need to lighten up a bit, it has been a bit Bitchy off and on lately. Several of the guys that use to be up here I do just email with, they don't come here anymore. That to me is a shame as the wealth of knowledge is lost for those in need, we are all right and wrong at times it is up to the members to glean through stuff and use what is useful to them. Lets all give a decent try at smoothing out the bumps. Maybe some of these fine gents will reappear!

MOP

MOP
12-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Interesting story about the zero Grav Pen. Too bad it never happened. :)

Parker developed the gas charged valve regulated pen independent of the Space Program and then donated the first ones to NASA. Didn't cost tax payers a penny.

I have in my grubby little paws a pen by Fisher marked Space pen it is about 4" long bullet shaped on both ends and the cap pulls. The cartridge inside says it is pressurized with Fishers address in Boulder NV to order a new cartrige for $4. Does this thing ring a bell with you NASA guys?

Phil

gcarter
12-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Yeah Phil, that's the one. You could always buy one just like the astronauts used. They even sold them in the NASA gift shop in Houston back in the '60's.

:wavey:

Fish boy
12-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Geeze!!!

I thought I get stressed out sometimes.

Sounds like to much caffeine and not enough? well i'll leave that up to you. :biggrin.: :spongebob

Phil has done nothing wrong and doesn't deserve that type of a written tongue lashing. By bashing him your bashing the rest of us. :incredibl :splat:

Now let me tell you what the first thing a blonde does when she gets up in the morning, goes home. :p

Walt :cool:

:D :rlol:

Fish boy
12-04-2004, 01:20 PM
yeeeuuup. looks like winter is here. think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts... puppies, and candy, and all chrome supercharged big blocks :)

see ya,

fish

Formula Jr
12-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Phil, my deepest appologies for my latest rant. That was unfair and vicious on my part. Its been a very bad week for this kid and too much wine was a bad mix. I also appologize to everyone on this board I may have offended. My butt truely hurts after having my head so far up it.

Sincerely
Owen

Ed Donnelly
12-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Its good to have the old Owen back
Seems that anything starting with a W is bad
Winter,Wine,Women............Ed

MOP
12-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Phil, my deepest appologies for my latest rant. That was unfair and vicious on my part. Its been a very bad week for this kid and too much wine was a bad mix. I also appologize to everyone on this board I may have offended. My butt truely hurts after having my head so far up it.

Sincerely
Owen

Honest no sweat! I often sip a bit to many grapes myself and also have been pretty down lately. It is like what was posted earlier WINTER!

MOP

goatee
12-05-2004, 11:40 PM
ed,, your cracking me up man!!!