PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Problems?

onesubdrvr
12-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Well,

I've finally got the engine all back together and timing set / etc. I've noticed that running in idle temperature is 150-160. Up to 1800rpm, temp. stays ok (180 or less), but after running 2200rpm or more for 3 or 4 minutes, temperature begins to creep up to 200 (I won't let it go any higher, I throttle down). All this testing is being done with the out drive ear muffs on. Is it just because I'm running too high of RPM on the hose (water pressure approx 30psi), or do I need to look at the thermostat / water pump?

Thanks
Wayne

gcarter
12-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Well,

I've finally got the engine all back together and timing set / etc. I've noticed that running in idle temperature is 150-160. Up to 1800rpm, temp. stays ok (180 or less), but after running 2200rpm or more for 3 or 4 minutes, temperature begins to creep up to 200 (I won't let it go any higher, I throttle down). All this testing is being done with the out drive ear muffs on. Is it just because I'm running too high of RPM on the hose (water pressure approx 30psi), or do I need to look at the thermostat / water pump?

Thanks
Wayne
I think you're running out of water at more than an idle. A water hose (5/8") doesn't flow much more than five GPM.
At 3000 RPM, your pump maybe demanding 25 GPM, so the temp goes because there isn't enough water being supplied by the hose.
If you could put the drive in a barrel, the pump would have more water to pull from and the hose is simply replenishing the barrel.

txtaz
12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
George is right you are running out of water. I think the manual says not to rev over 1500. I keep mine at idle and only rev it once in awhile. The true test is in the water at speed.
Good luck,
Wes
:outtahere:
:smash:

onesubdrvr
12-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks fella's

Well, I guess that means I'm done, :biggrin: :yippie:
Just a lower unit oil change, then I'm on the water,.... now all I need is somebody to meet up with me some weekend soon so that they can tow me back if I break down!!

Southeast Florida anyone??
(if I could just talk my sister out of having a birthday party :party: for her two bratty kids, I'd do the toys for tots run!)

Wayne

txtaz
12-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Ohhh come on Wayne,
You are not a true boater until you have floated around for hours waiting for a tow. Mine was because I accidentally tripped the ignition cutoff switch. Now I know everything about the boat. Read: No more egg on face.
Good luck,
Wes