PDA

View Full Version : Home warranties???

txtaz
11-30-2004, 03:54 PM
Hey everyone,
We are getting ready to close on our new house this week. We got a great rate on the mortgage 5.6% and $1400 for the closing costs. It pays to shop around. The seller is paying for a home warranty and I'm curious if anyone has experience with this or can recommend a company.
Thanks, Wes

gcarter
11-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Wes, in my business I deal with a lot of recent home purchasers, both new and used. I have spoken w/ many in your shoes. The warrantees have been proven to be almost worthless. In most cases, the issues are $100-$500.00, so the deductable almost covers the expence, so the warranty was not worth pursuing. :bawling:
Kind of like having dental insurance w/a $500.00 deductable and you just need a filling.

sanleonkid
11-30-2004, 08:45 PM
I woudl have to agree as to the worthlessness...... we had a central unit that was making OBSCENE noises when the compressor kicked in and they woudl not replace for anything. "as long as the unit is functioning we do not cover the expense" ...... WORTHLESS..... and I triedl like hell to get it replaced. Finally had to do so on my own nickel!!!

txtaz
12-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the info guys,
Since the house is only 4 years old, I may get the seller to add another $300 to the house repair check and forgo the warranty. Besides, everything is new and not likely to break in a year, and if it does, I have a good tool box.
Thanks,
Wes

txtaz
12-01-2004, 08:27 AM
BTW sanleonkid, are you the Mark from Dallas that was at PK3? If so I have lots of photos of your boat you might want to have. HarborMaster might have some 2 disks sets from that weekend or I can mail you a set. Let me know.
Wes

Dr. Dan
12-01-2004, 11:11 AM
:smash: Wes.......... I built homes for over 16 years before switching over to Sales...we used to recommend the following:

Include in your Sales Agreement that you can have a "Certified Home Inspection" performed, they should check all major categories for soundness, for example;
Foundation/Slab
Drainage and Grade Issues ...evaluate any differential settlement.
Sidewalks, Driveways and Aprons
HVAC,Electrical,Pumbing and Alarm Systems and Phone or Cable
Roof,Soffits,Venting,Downspouts and Gutters
Insulation and Vapor Barriers, including Door and Window Weatherstripping.
Visual on Paint,Brick,Siding ...Screens, Screen Doors
Patio Slabs or Decks...including all Structural Members to same.
Basement Slab if applicable,Sump Pump...Softner System
Hot Water Heater and Expansion Tank if Required
Fireplace Chimney,Box and Apron and Hearth
Flooring,Cabinets,Doors...do any binde when opened/closed?
Visual Drywall Inspect for Strees or expansion Cracks...common in corners on ceilings an Structural or load bearing Walls.

These are most of the major items to review...if it has a basement...look at the Floor Joists, check for sqeeky floors...
In the Attic....same thing...check for Vents and Plenums to be fastened properly to Code Specs....inspect the Roof from the Attic, Roof Vents, any noticeable water seepage or drips present? Ask to check it after a good rain...go visit the home during a Torrential Down Pour...you can learn alot!

Hope this Helps

Previous Doc of Construction...still am! :smash:

txtaz
12-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Thanks Dr Dan,
Great advice, we were lucky when we got house inspector. He found everything wrong with it down to smoke detectors and hot water temp. I was amazed at how thorough and patient he was. Everything you mentioned was checked and the seller is giving us a check at closing to cover the expense of fixing things. There was nothing major wrong but I'm a stickler for things being right.
Talk about torrential rains....we just went through one and the house did well. I plan on doing additional drainage around the house because it sits on a grade. Plus I have to protect the misses future garden. :)
Thanks again for your input. Looks like we will be home owners tomorrow or Friday.
Wes

gcarter
12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Congratulations Wes!!! :yes: :yes:

sanleonkid
12-01-2004, 05:05 PM
BTW sanleonkid, are you the Mark from Dallas that was at PK3? If so I have lots of photos of your boat you might want to have. HarborMaster might have some 2 disks sets from that weekend or I can mail you a set. Let me know.
Wes
Nope Jeff from Houston running a 16 and I was not a PK either....

Dr. Dan
12-01-2004, 06:04 PM
:wavey: Great News....Congrats and Best of Luck!

Doc & Liz :smash: