PDA

View Full Version : Dock line length?

clc0625
11-30-2004, 08:11 AM
My boyfriend and I have a 22' LE Classic and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size dock ropes I need to buy him. I am planning on the personalized ropes with donzi on them or the black with red ropes just not sure what size I will nedd or how man, could someone tell me?

mattyboy
11-30-2004, 08:51 AM
I have 15 footers on a 16 and sometimes they are short especially if you need to tie a spring line, or throwing them to someone on the dock the longer the better I would go 25' and do the braidey thingy or the coil thingy with the extra line when not needed

clc0625
11-30-2004, 08:58 AM
How many 4? I think I am going to get 2 with DONZI on them and 2 black with red tracers, is that enough?
I have 15 footers on a 16 and sometimes they are short especially if you need to tie a spring line, or throwing them to someone on the dock the longer the better I would go 25' and do the braidey thingy or the coil thingy with the extra line when not needed

mattyboy
11-30-2004, 09:26 AM
2 for the front 2 for the back yeah I think so

clc0625
11-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Alright thanks alot, going to put my order in so I can get them in ti9me for Xmas. Thank you again
2 for the front 2 for the back yeah I think so

Jraysray
11-30-2004, 09:34 AM
Where do you order these from? I need some myself.

Scott

Donzigo
11-30-2004, 09:36 AM
You didn't ask; but, 1/2 inch one is best for this application and not 3/8 inch.

I like to have five dock lines. There are instances wherby you need a spring line in addition to the four on each corner. That boat would do best with 25' lines, as stated above.

FYI, don't get polyester rope, it's pretty and colorful. It will disenegrate in the hot Florida sun with UV rays on it. Get the nylon type. I guess it depends on where you are boating, etc.

clc0625
11-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Well the ones that I am having Donzi on (if they allow me to write that) is from http://www.myrope.com/products/dock-link-small-boats.html
And the site that I foud the red with black (that I couldn't find in any store near me) I am ordering from http://www.theropedope.com/docklines.htm I have never ordered from either place so i'n not sure about shipping or quality but I can let you know after he critiques them!

Where do you order these from? I need some myself.

Scott

clc0625
11-30-2004, 09:44 AM
I am going to get th 25', I did ask my brother about the 1/2 or 3/8 and he also said 1/2. I didn't think about the 5th rope but he just might be on his own with that on. Between my brother and him becoming new boat owners this year fund are tight enough. And I will find out what they are mado of, I live in MD so no FL sun but I would rather have the better quality for him. Thanks for the advise, who knows what I would have bought if it were up to just me, walmart special maybe!
You didn't ask; but, 1/2 inch one is best for this application and not 3/8 inch.

I like to have five dock lines. There are instances wherby you need a spring line in addition to the four on each corner. That boat would do best with 25' lines, as stated above.

FYI, don't get polyester rope, it's pretty and colorful. It will disenegrate in the hot Florida sun with UV rays on it. Get the nylon type. I guess it depends on where you are boating, etc.

mattyboy
11-30-2004, 09:44 AM
yes Donzigo I forgot thickness!!

Donzigo
11-30-2004, 09:48 AM
IMHO the second source, the rope store, has better quality. If you notice, the first is stiched together and not braided, might come apart in the future when the stiching gets old. It's also made of polyester, not good, notice how it said protected from UV, (they've had problems). The second source is nylon and braided, a much better choice.

clc0625
11-30-2004, 09:48 AM
umm the site with the black and red ropes are nylon but the only option for size are 3/8" with 10" eye, or 5/8" with 15" eye. Would one of these work or should I find a different site?
yes Donzigo I forgot thickness!!

clc0625
11-30-2004, 09:50 AM
OK I will go with the second one, I really didn't know I just liked the idea of it saying donzi cause I can't find many things that do, and if something does I have already purchased it for christmas
IMHO the second source, the rope store, has better quality. If you notice, the first is stiched together and not braided, might come apart in the future when the stiching gets old. It's also made of polyester, not good, notice how it said protected from UV, (they've had problems). The second source is nylon and braided, a much better choice.

Donzigo
11-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Again it depends on where you boat. The 5/8 is definitely too big. IMO, The 3/8 would be too small, unless you are boating on a lake, where things are pretty calm. Will the 3/8 work, yes, unless things get dicy or the wind kicks up, then you think, dang, why didn't I get 1/2?

clc0625
11-30-2004, 09:58 AM
So 4 of the 1/2" with 12" eye will do what I need? The 5th is extra. Geesh all this for just the dock line, guess it has to be just right huh.

Again it depends on where you boat. The 5/8 is definitely too big. IMO, The 3/8 would be too small, unless you are boating on a lake, where things are pretty calm. Will the 3/8 work, yes, unless things get dicy or the wind kicks up, then you think, dang, why didn't I get 1/2?

Donzigo
11-30-2004, 10:19 AM
......and that's why ya love the guy, he's particular, right?

now, he's got:
the right boat,
the right girl,
the right dock lines,
that about sums it up, yes?

clc0625
11-30-2004, 10:42 AM
I think it is a boat thing I really do! But i don't know about the right girl I can't wait til summer is over to take boat out he cant wait til april to put it back in. Its a never ending battle for sure!

......and that's why ya love the guy, he's particular, right?

now, he's got:
the right boat,
the right girl,
the right dock lines,
that about sums it up, yes?

Cuda
11-30-2004, 10:48 AM
I like 5/8 myself. If you get lines too long, they are a pain also. I use 20 and 25 foot lines with my 30 footer. Remember, the thicker the line, the easier it is on your hands.

clc0625
11-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Oh my, maybe I should just ask him, I know it will ruin the surprise but at least it will be right!

I like 5/8 myself. If you get lines too long, they are a pain also. I use 20 and 25 foot lines with my 30 footer. Remember, the thicker the line, the easier it is on your hands.

TBroccoli
11-30-2004, 12:25 PM
If you are buying "Dock lines" I think 3/8" is fine. I have a 22 classic with a 30' and a 15' line I use for docking. Now realize, my docking is temporary. I dock for lunch/dinner, parking trailer, and overnight in a marina. You may also want to keep other thicker lines stored away for emergencies. The two "Dock lines" are used frequently and are a good size for easy storage. Good luck with the new boat. Where in Maryland are you from?

clc0625
11-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks I think I may need it, I just ended up asking him and he sain 1/2" and 25 feet, if we need extra I think I will leave that up to him, I just want something other then the white at least when we are out places. I am from right in between the annapolis and Baltimore area. We live off of the magothy on a creek called cypress creek. Small area but I have lived here my entire life with my parents and bought my own house the next street down (two houses down water view) about a year ago, so this was his new toy he had to have. Been fun so far but this summer should be better cause my brother who also lives next door will hopefuly be getting his new boat that he ordered the beginning of this year. Definitaly a new experience for me, I have always had a boat but never one to call my own and try to keep up with.

If you are buying "Dock lines" I think 3/8" is fine. I have a 22 classic with a 30' and a 15' line I use for docking. Now realize, my docking is temporary. I dock for lunch/dinner, parking trailer, and overnight in a marina. You may also want to keep other thicker lines stored away for emergencies. The two "Dock lines" are used frequently and are a good size for easy storage. Good luck with the new boat. Where in Maryland are you from?

TBroccoli
11-30-2004, 12:49 PM
!/2" is pretty thick for a 22's small cleats. We always boat on the Sassafras, maybe we could meet up next Summer.

clc0625
11-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Yeah he is always up for boating trip, I know that he wants to take a trip to Kentucky for some Donzi thing there, have you been to any of the Donzi events? We also are planning to trailer to Ocean City for a weekend. Do you ever make it out there?
And as for the rope I don't know i'm just going to get the 1/2 25 foot and if he doesn't like it then he is on his own and we can use the ones I get as extras, because there is so much storage in the boat, haha

!/2" is pretty thick for a 22's small cleats. We always boat on the Sassafras, maybe we could meet up next Summer.

Scott Heidt
11-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Definitely go with the second choice. I bought some lines from myrope. They are to light duty. I don't use them at all.

Just my 2 cents!

clc0625
11-30-2004, 01:05 PM
I went with the second one, the rope dope, I will let everyone know how they are once they come in. The guy from the company told me 1/2" and 2 25's and 2 20's so that was what I decided to go with for this round of ropes.
Definitely go with the second choice. I bought some lines from myrope. They are to light duty. I don't use them at all.

Just my 2 cents!

TBroccoli
11-30-2004, 01:08 PM
I don't like to trailer too far. That may change. I want to get to some Donzi events next year. I've only gone to the Jackson Marine Donzi Poker Run this past year. Good luck with the lines. My wife bought me some last X mas. I returned them and had fun doing it. It gave me an excuse to go to the boat store.

clc0625
11-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Yeah well he knows better then to return them, I might not ever buy anything for the boat again. Nah just kidding. Anyways he wanted to do this donzi poker run next year, not sure what one but I have never been so it might be a nice experience, would be nice to hang out with some other Donzi owners cause our family has every other boat exept Donzi's we are solo in our family.

I don't like to trailer too far. That may change. I want to get to some Donzi events next year. I've only gone to the Jackson Marine Donzi Poker Run this past year. Good luck with the lines. My wife bought me some last X mas. I returned them and had fun doing it. It gave me an excuse to go to the boat store.

TuxedoPk
11-30-2004, 08:57 PM
The 5th rope is for throwing to Madpoodle if you run out of gas ;)