PDA

View Full Version : blown gasket

smokediver
11-30-2004, 06:06 AM
can a person tell if a gasket is blown ? I am asking if there are visible signs on the gasket itself . I decided to nix the merc. one piece manifolds . Moore performance is going to do a manifold and riser set in anodized aluminium for around 550.00 . seems reasonable , comes with all the gaskets and fittings , and is 80 lbs. lighter than cast iron. I wonder if I can get the wye pipe out without removing the motor ?

mphatc
11-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Which gasket???
head gasket
Intake
water pump
exhaust manifold . . . .

Mario

MOP
11-30-2004, 07:04 AM
No the Y will not come out with the motor in, many cap it off with sewage pipe caps.

Phil

smokediver
11-30-2004, 03:01 PM
exhaust man. gasket . thanks phil . I think i will pull the motor .

mphatc
11-30-2004, 07:56 PM
if you're pulling the engine, then it is easy to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, I presume you mean the ones between the heads and the manifold.

Mario L.

smokediver
12-04-2004, 05:03 PM
just an update , I pulled the starboard plugs and had water in two of the cylinders . The manifold must have had a little leak and allowing water in at idle . I removed the manifold and am about to put the other on . Hopefully I dodged a bullet in that the motor is still running . I put oil down the 2 cylinders that had the water .

MOP
12-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Is there any discoloration of the motor oil, could be just slightly brownish. Goes from that to grays and lastly white. There is a chance that some water may seeped past the pistons and into the rings then into the pan. Once you get it running just get it good and warmed up and change the oil need it or not "cheap insurance". Go over your fasteners and hose clamps after it gets up to temp, I go over fasteners again when it cools down. My old book shows 25lbs torque, snug them working outward from the middle to the ends, its not that hard to crack them if not tightened right.

Phil

smokediver
12-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks Phil. I did check the oil and it is clean . I am going to change it though . I found a replacement pair at a great price so I am going to switch it over . My plan is to get my boat all squared away and move up to an 18 this winter ...

Tidbart
12-06-2004, 03:43 PM
I think I know someone with a beautiful 18 for sale this winter.