PDA

View Full Version : Brazil valves, or manifold?????

mphatc
11-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Brazil manifold . . Brazil Valve

what is it? what does it do???

read it numerous times, but haven't found an explanation

TIA,
Clueless . . ie; Mario :rlol:

gcarter
11-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi Mario;
I didn't either, just did a Google search...
check this out;

http://www.cpperformance.com/Instructions/Brazillian.pdf

:wavey:

mphatc
11-28-2004, 03:52 PM
GC,

So as I understand it . . .

in brief simplified terms
. .
it allows use of a hydraulic external steering ram set up with the stock Mercruiser cable control. The Merc components control the direction , Left/Right, thru the Brazil valve . .

Mario
almost clued in! :smile:

Rootsy
11-28-2004, 07:56 PM
correct,

the brazil and saginaw valves are the two variations that mercury has used on their sterndrive power steering systems. Your pump supplies pressure to them and the cable from the helm runs through it to the tiller arm. when you actuate the cable it shifts the valve to provide power steering assist.

essentially in an external half system you remove the feed to the integral cylinder from the actuating "brazil" or "saginaw" valve and feed it through the transom to actuate the external ram.

look back at my old steering install posts from the spring and there might be a photo of what i am talkin bout... the saginaw is the old style and the brazil is the new style. the cylinder housing and piston are removed on the brazil. the piston rod is kept in place with a nut on the end. a manifold available from imco is then installed where the cylinder mounted and lines feed from the manifold to the external ram.

J

mphatc
11-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Thank you James! and George!
:beer:

this is what makes this place great!

Mario

MOP
11-28-2004, 10:26 PM
I have been looking for the same info, from the drawing it appears as if the the tiller is still hooked up. If so it seems as if it would provide back up non power steering in case of hydraulic failure, is this the case?

Phil

Rootsy
11-29-2004, 07:19 AM
I have been looking for the same info, from the drawing it appears as if the the tiller is still hooked up. If so it seems as if it would provide back up non power steering in case of hydraulic failure, is this the case?

Phil

Yes again phil, you are exactly right. In the event of a P/S failure you still have manual steering and in the case of the tiller breaking the external cylinder prevents the drive from flopping right or left abruptly. You most likely won't have much steering control IF the tiller breaks though for the following reason. YOU MUST keep the tiller hooked up for the valve to work properly. It works on the same principle as say the shift interrupter system. the feedback from the tiller against your input effort shifts the spool in the valve. Think early 1960's FORD Powersteering...

IF you have a saginaw valve you just unhook the lines from the valve to the cyliinder since they are external and you run your lines right out of the valve. On the brazil the ports are internal and the cylinder is actually an integral part of the system. You must remove the cylinder housing and piston and install the IMCO manifold and fittings...

J

gcarter
11-29-2004, 07:53 AM
I noticed on all the installation dwgs. that they are not reccomended for over 70 MPH, is this a case of CYA?