PDA

View Full Version : loking for a fish boat

need for speed
11-27-2004, 03:39 PM
family is looking for a fish boat 25-31 feet twins 4 stroke... under 90k anyone got anything ideas? :yes:

marcdups
11-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Yo Poodle, why HPDI v/s 4 strokes, Verado not good or ???
Inquiring minds wanna know :rolleyes:

MOP
11-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Yami HPDI got the JD Power award, were lighter, ran cleaner emissions wise and used less fuel than all the 4 strokes. I read an article that Bombardier was going to try to come out with one that will run even better, and said the felt the 4 stroke outboard would fall from favor.

Phil

McGary911
11-28-2004, 02:05 AM
If you're looking there, I'd consider something used with inboards. you can get a ton of boat, something like a topaz or blackfin for that $$, and someone else has already taken the depreciation hit. Guess thats the way i do it tho...i have a '79 donzi and an '80 silverton...heck, guess i just like old stuff....If you want a new CC, tho, id take a long look at a Regulator...friend has a 27...loves it.

Fish boy
11-28-2004, 08:02 AM
Yami HPDI got the JD Power award, were lighter, ran cleaner emissions wise and used less fuel than all the 4 strokes. I read an article that Bombardier was going to try to come out with one that will run even better, and said the felt the 4 stroke outboard would fall from favor.

Phil

Read recently that merc is discontinuing the 2 strokes, at least in the larger outboards. Want to move everyone to their behemoth verados, even thought they are backordered. Effective 2005 I beleive. :confused:

Also spoke with a guide I fish with from time to time. he was getting ready to repower/replace his yam 225. Asked his how many hours and he pointed to hour meter. had over 3000 (I think 3014 but not positive). Asked him how many motors on that meter and he said just that one. Never rebuilt, but serviced regularily and not beat on.

Cuda
11-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Does anyone have an idea when two strokes will be completely banned?

Fish boy
11-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Does anyone have an idea when two strokes will be completely banned?

banned as in governmental regulation specifically targeting the motor or as in manufacturer's not making them?

Cuda
11-28-2004, 10:17 AM
I was talking governmental regulation. All the manufactorers know it's coming, that's why they are on the four stroke kick. There are several lakes out west where two stroke engines are already banned.

Fish boy
11-28-2004, 10:28 AM
I was talking governmental regulation. All the manufactorers know it's coming, that's why they are on the four stroke kick. There are several lakes out west where two stroke engines are already banned.
IMHO, it will never happen as a ban. But, regulation that requires certain exhaust/emissions or possibly fuel economy could come in the form of incentives or penalties that weould force the manufacturer to comply. The bans on the lake sI beleive are from local tree huggers. Too much water on the plante for them to get it all, but the s stroke is a more high performance motor than the 4 stroke and the market is not as big as the recreational.fishing market.

Merc's support of outboard racing has dwindled over the years in favor of the offshore stuff, and support of the fishng tournaments. long and short, merc, who makes the fastest outboards, is heading away and trying to migrate everyone to big clunky 4 strokes. Sad day in high perf boating. Hopefully nature really does abhore a vacuum, and someone else will step in with light weight, high horespower OB's

Need for speed, sorry to jack your thread, I will keep my eyes peeled, but the above suggestions were all good. Seeing Poodles boat made me drool. good luck.

fish

PS here is a thread on the 2 stroke cancellation is anyone wants to read it. sad day for Merc OB's (http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71403&highlight=sad+day)

need for speed
11-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks .. still looking.

need for speed
11-28-2004, 08:17 PM
what about at a scout 28 ????