PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Key West (at least close-by) ?

Lenny
11-27-2004, 02:25 PM
http://www.floridastateparks.org/bahiahonda/default.asp

Has anyone ever camped here in Big Pine Key? 37 miles from KW, and I believe the only camping available in the Keys. (so I was told) At about 5$ a night to lay down a tent in a primitive campsite, I could see myself towing a boat and being able to stay in the area for an extended duration.

Anyone ever done this ? and does it have any drawbacks?

Keep in mind I get about 8 1/2 weeks Vacation a year, 11 Stat Holidays and about another month a year in Volunteer Overtime "off" so I have about 90 days a year to do whatever.

I am trying to fill it up with Southern Exposure. The Worlds is a given for next year already as is AOTH and probably 1000 Isles. Nothing in Hurricane season mind you, I am NOT ready for that yet. :eek:

Just curious as to the camping thing.

gcarter
11-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Lenny, I have stayed at Bahia Honda more than once in a motor home. They don't do aerial spraying on that island and the bugs are TERRIBLE. I would definately go in the winter.
One of the most unique features of the island is the old Flagler built railway/highway bridge that is still in existance there along with the old post WW II Navy built aquaduct strapped onto the side of the bridge.
I think that's a great location for the central and Southern keys as Key West is less than hour away, and shopping in Marathon is 15 minutes away. I'd get reservations.

:wavey:

Sport
11-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Me and a buddy camped out for a week about 2 years ago Memorial weekend and we had a blast ! We stayed a couple of days around Marathon and a 4 days around Bahia Honda. I think we paid $20.00 per night at both places and they had showers and everything. I think both had boat ramps also. Do a search for CAMPING IN THE FLORIDA KEYS. Several places show up that are not state park camping. Bring an air matress ! I had a tree root in my back for 2 nights. Bring your snorkle gear ! Have fun.

Sport

MOP
11-30-2004, 01:07 PM
A long time ago I rented a small house boat with a 40 Johnson in the keys, how long ago $350 for a week LOL. It was one of the best stays I had in Florida. I took Sports lead and did a search, the URL below seems to be a good one for spots throughout the US..

Phil

http://www.campgrounds-by-city.com/campgrounds_by_type.php?ctype=private&okay=y

Scott Heidt
11-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Gieger Key Marina outside of Key West is really nice. They have camp sites. Also, you can keep your boat in the water right next to your site. You step out of the motor home and into the boat.

Just if you decide to go boating down there make sure you get good charts and take your time in unfamilliar waters. That coral is very unforgiving!

Have Fun!