PDA

View Full Version : Update from Iraq

AquaV
11-27-2004, 08:18 AM
Hey everyone!

Wow, its only been a few days and things are interesting already. Let me tell ya Kevlar is pretty damned heavy, and these vests are absolutely painful, I think my shoulder has a permanent velcro mark in it.

The computer systems and phone systems aren't that reliable here, so I will try and drop updates when I can!

I have gone through orientation and have gotten almost everything situated. I live in a "chicken coop" with about 6 other women even though it has the potential for many more. No cat fights yet, so that is a bonus! Who knows when I might get more info on the living situation!

Food is pretty decent, some meals great, some meals are better in the trash. It's cool to see the cokes with the sweet old style pull tabs. I love it, brought back memories of my childhood. I had an entertaining time in Dubai during my stay there. Seems my friend was right, Middle Eastern men love me. HA! One even bought a bottle of 212 perfume as a gift while I was at the mall. Holy geez! What insanity! Oh well, made for an entertaining short story.

Well, gotta get going...hopefully another update soon.

Another random fact: Looks like I might be traveling in the somewhat near future to other parts of Iraq! That would be sooo cool!!! Love you all and missing the fun already! And anytime partying, please have a drink for me!

-A

Fish boy
11-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey AV,
glad to hear you are safe there and getting situated. THanks for the update, looking forward to more. Please be careful and enjoy a very unique experience of a lifetime.

fish

McGary911
11-28-2004, 01:35 AM
AV, just got done with dinner with my old man. He goes back on the 30th. What do you do there, and are you miliary, or working for a contractor? Just curious. If you get near Baghdad, let me know. My dad runs the police academy there. I'm sure he'd buy u a drink at the Al Sadeer....Good luck. Some places aren't as bad as you think, and some are worse. Keep in touch as much as you can. And be safe....

AquaV
11-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Glad ya got to hang out with your Dad! I work for a contractor and I help take care of logistics out here. Fun stuff. Actually pretty interesting. It looks like I might be doing some traveling and Baghdad is a definite possibility! That would be a great time if I got to meet up with him, who knows!

Am staying as safe as I can. But man, this Kevlar can really suck. Log on again when I can!

-A

Donzi Di
11-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Amanda,

Glad you made it safe and sound over there... now just stay that way....

Diana

Team Jefe
12-01-2004, 07:37 AM
Speaking of Kevlar...Here is our fearless adventurer taking a little ride on a Blackhawk...notice the helment...and the Black LAKE WINNI Fleese jacket.

Even in there she looks like a Rock Star.

Big Pimpin
12-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Daaamn AV, you flossin!!!

Donzi Kat
12-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi AV that kevlar might be heavy and uncomfortable but you wear it well, stay safe over there.:D

AquaV
12-10-2004, 09:48 AM
It's me again!!!

Well, Baghdad is pretty interesting. I was really surprised by just how beautiful Saddam's palaces are, though the actual construction is actually not good workmanship (and yes, I mean even the building that don't have holes in them), kinda surprised me. I forgot my camera, sorry folks. Next time, I will make sure to take some pics.
Don't worry, I am pretty safe here. But I now know what its like to wake up from the boom and shake of a car bomb. Who would have thought? ha. craziness! It's pretty weird, every night you can feel mortars go off, and every morning you wake up to the same thing. Holy crazy. (But let me tell ya, as a female, I don't mind the vibrations...ha! Apparently, that is the general concensus between the women here. HA! Always gotta find the good side! And trust me...it's REALLY good.)

Hmmm...what else? Not too much to report right now. I'll give another update soon. I have been working on a huge project... can't talk too much about it, but its a hella lotta responsibility! (Ha! What were they thinkin?)

Hope all are well, and I am thinking about ya!!!

-A

goatee
12-10-2004, 12:21 PM
hey aqua,

glad to hear everything is well. (and vibrating) :pimp:

but dont let your guard down. your never TOO safe over there.
we are all very proud of you. :crossfing