PDA

View Full Version : Southernmost point in the USA ?

Lenny
11-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Why does Key West get this distinction when the Dry Tortugas are further South?

Largest brick structure in the western hemisphere too I believe.

gcarter
11-25-2004, 03:40 PM
No one lives there Lenny. Also It's not connected to the mainland.
FWIW, Hawaii is quite a bit farther South, but it
s not a contiguous state.
I could [robably think of more reasons. :jestera:

BUIZILLA
11-25-2004, 08:41 PM
No one lives there Lenny.actually, someone does live there.... the Park Ranger and his wife, and I believe they have a couple kids as well.

JH

MOP
11-25-2004, 09:15 PM
I did a search and it looks like a neat place to explore and do a little fishing, I've been told fishing it good. They did mention a few security people live there but only last 2-3 years, due to the desolate nature of the place.

Phil

Lenny
11-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Looks like fun tho, for a night at least. ;)

http://www.yankeefreedom.com/Camping.htm
http://www.yankeefreedom.com/

70 mile run in a DONZI, anchor and party, follow the Yankee Freedom II there ? hmmmm

:D :D :D

I need to get back there ASAP. :D

Gas would be the problem, even as a Day Trip following the Ferry (CAT). ???

pmreed
11-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Great diving around the Tortugas too.

Phil

Lenny
11-25-2004, 11:34 PM
So how do you get an 18 with 40 gallons to run 150 Statute miles on a tank of gas?

I am all ears.

We could call it the " Wet T " Gathering :D

I would run down there next year and leave after the Worlds and run the Keys to this place and back as a nightcap. It would be like a "Fancy Coffee" at the end of a GREAT MEAL !!!

Prior to visiting FLA, for the first time, all I could think of was "Grope Her",... now all I can think of is Grouper... Help :eek: Man, am I hungry. :D

gcarter
11-26-2004, 05:55 AM
You know Jim, after I posted, I thought about park rangers, wives and kids, it would only make sense because people overnight there.
You wouldn't want a bunch of blow boaters declaring another Conch Republic while the park ranger is gone, would you? :D

:wavey:

P.S.
My Minx should make it on a good day. I should have a 300 mile range.

BUIZILLA
11-26-2004, 08:00 AM
I've done the trip.... it's a LONG way of open water miles. In fact, I think Bimini/Cat Cay is closer to Miami across the gulfstream, that Tortugas is from Key West :eek: you can, however, camp on the island berms still I think, or you have to overnight in your boat. Notice I said *in* your boat. I won't be doing that trip in any of my Donzi's.

JH