Ed Donnelly
11-25-2004, 08:20 AM
If I try to defrag my C drive, 1 of 2 things happen
1) defrag does not start(freezes) and I have to reboot computer
2) It will defrag 97% then freezes, then I have to reboot computer
Windows 98 lap top..........Anything I can do to solve this problem??? ...Ed

Brad Lyon
11-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Try it in safe mode. While the computer is booting up press the "F8" button continuously and it will ask you if you want to boot into safe mode. I have a Sony laptop and that is the only way that I can defrag it.

Brad

Doug G
11-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Ed, I have also had defrag problems with Windows 98. I have to turn off my screen savers and disable my anti virus software to keep the defrag from freezing up. Hope this helps!
Doug

txtaz
11-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Screen savers have been famous for hogging system resources and causing problems. Some virus scanners (McAffe) are known do the same. Then again Win98 is considered a virus by many techies.
The best you can do is turn off the virus scanner and screen savers prior to defrag. Also make sure you have the latest patches to Win98 and your virus scanner. The best patch so far for Win 98 is Win XP. Honestly upgrade your OS to something that works a lot better than 98.
Hope this helps.
Wes

MOP
11-25-2004, 01:42 PM
There is a nice free program on the net called "End it All" it cured the defrag issues for me. It shuts down all running programs that you set it for, I found that my HP software was the problem with mine. I use End it All then scan disc then defrag goes nice and smooth.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,95493,00.asp

Better link no hitches!

http://www.compu-docs.com/links.htm Lots of good stuff here!

Phil

Ed Donnelly
11-25-2004, 05:30 PM
I always close down my screensaver and background.
I tied Mops End It All and problem solved :yes: :yes:
Mop I have sent you a private message......Thanks to all....Ed

Sam
11-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Brad, what model Sony do you have. I have one as well and it would be nice to have a source for back up info.

From Sunny Mexico :biggrin:

Sam

Brad Lyon
12-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Sam,

I have a Sony PCG-F180. Sorry for the long delay but I just noticed your post.....

Brad