PDA

View Full Version : This may be my end,....

onesubdrvr
11-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Well,

I ran into yet another problem with my Ragazza the other day, and have never felt like putting an end to it all as much as I do right now!!!! I meah AGGGGHHHHH. I HAVE LOST MUCH FAITH IN MAN KIND, AND AM FRUSTRATED BEYOND BELIEF!!! I traded my old pick-up truck and totaled boat with good engine (1979 Century) for this boat - asking price comparison was an even trade. The hull of the boat is in good condition, stringers solid, 2 soft spots in the deck, and the motor box was rotted (all things I knew I could fix as I had to do them on the Century). Anyway, after several discussions with this gentleman (for lack of another postable term) All that was needed on the engine was a carb rebuild / tune up from sitting, and judging from the condition of the rest of the boat, I was compelled to believe him (shame on me), so completed the deal. My first project was to tear up the carpet, repair the deck, clean the carpet, re-install. I also rebuilt the engine box, and all wood structures for all of the cushions aft. I then set them aside for getting ready to install after tuning up the engine. I then conciously hooked up the cooling water (from the garden hose) to the outdrive and attempted to start it. Dead battery (to be expected), new battery. Next attempt at starting, fired right up, as I'm letting it idle for a little while and making my inspections, I notice a large amount of water leakig from the port side, the freeze plug behind the port motor mount had become dislodged! Not to worry, easy fix,...... Started it up again, let it idle for a while, then apply throttle, unit stalls and dies,... ok, once again from sitting, probable carb malfunction,.... no problem, purchase carb kit,....now it gets fun. Before wrapping it up, I notice a 2nd leak this time from the starboard side, head to block,... no crack was noted, OK, not my favorite job, but mine as well go ahead and replace that pesky head gasket. Well, I get the parts and tear down into the job,.....here is where I get depressed. Upon pulling the head off I realize that it was not the gasket, but rather the head itself was cracked,.... OK, a set of rebuilt heads $300.00 or so OK, I'll suck it up,...but wait, now I've got the intake manifold off and what do I see? BOTH SIDES OF THE WATER JACKETS INTO THE INTAKE ARE CRACKED, I'm surprised this engine ran at all,.. did I say AGGGGHHHH!?

Anyway, so here I am with a solid hull, solid deck, solid seats, OK carpet, but no putt putt. To top it off, we are having a house built, so I'm unwilling to play games with debt to income / etc. until after moving into the new house (or else I've seen a z-22 and Donzigo Jr's 22 Classic, and a couple of others that I would rather hop into), unfortunately, house completion won't be for 9 more months. Also, unfortunately, the boat and all repairs are out of my allowance if you will, keep in mind that with a family of 4 young girls, plus momma, my allowance doesn't stretch very far. I am at a loss of what to do,... any suggestions, should I just give up, does anyone have a 4.3l engine they would be willing to sell me at a steal?:crossfing

Let me clarify that I know that some things aren't noticable to everyone, and he truly may not have know about the problems, but I have a sneaking suspicion. And once again, shame on me for not running it there, or having it PROFESSIONALLY surveyed, but do I need be punished like this?

Currently, Eternally depressed, http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif
Wayne

Fish boy
11-23-2004, 09:25 PM
hey wayne,
man, I am sorry to hear about your luck. not that it will make you feel any better, but we have all been there- ready to throw in the towel when you take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Last time I thought I blew up my motor, I swore off boating forever. Did not last, hard to go cold turkey like that. LOL Keep your chin up, and hopefully something will come your way in the form of advice or parts that someone is not using.

good luck,

fish

Team Jefe
11-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Wayne - AS ALWAYS, solid advice from Fish and Poodle. I also can't really help, but have been there as well. Toasted the Starboard engine on Jefe's Revenge and was looking at big bucks to re-build and bigger bucks replace both motors. :banghead:

A few months of patience (it was basically this time last year) and the Houston boat show presented some viable options.

4.3L's are a dime a dozen out there so troll the boards and keep your chin up.

PM the Harbor master...he's off doing the in-law thing south of Amarillo...southern Canada, but he'll be back next week...He always has contacts here and there for cheap stuff.

fasttrucker
11-25-2004, 09:58 AM
You know the last owner,maybe didnt know about cracks in motor.But from the sound of its condition and age of this boat I think you should just relax, take it easy.I bought my 1998 502 3-seasons ago.Everything ran well in the begining of the first season.Then the f... :bawling: . guy didnt do the recall about the plastic pullys that merc. used.. :bonk: .He could have had the motor fixed for free!and of course the pullys broke and I got stuck.Then at the end of the season I was using oil like crazy...when my mecanic.checked it out I had three burnt valves! :banghead: didnt bother doing a oil leak down test/valve job.I did a complete High-Performance motor transformation.Now I have a 500+H.P. Rocket!I spent the big money and ran up the credit cards.Why dont you check out www.runs-new.com :idea:

vanstee
11-25-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm there with you as well. Just had the outdrive replaced on my ragazza for the third time in as many years. I've got the 3.0L 4 cyl and upon my boat doctor's request put a 6 cyl outdrive on it. Put the same size prop that was on it and now only gettnig 3500 wot. To top it all off it's got a cracked block from the previous owner not winterizing it correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions on why my WOT dropped from 4400 to 3500? supposidly all the ratioing was done in the upper end.

Pismo
11-25-2004, 11:32 AM
What kind of 1979 Century was it? I had a 1979 Century and it was my pride and joy for years. I finally donated it to charity with 3174 hours on the untouched engine.

onesubdrvr
11-25-2004, 03:23 PM
What kind of 1979 Century was it? I had a 1979 Century and it was my pride and joy for years. I finally donated it to charity with 3174 hours on the untouched engine.
It was a 4500 cuddy cabin, nice enough boat, just had alot of cosmetic stuff to do, not enough time,....

Wayne

onesubdrvr
11-25-2004, 03:57 PM
I'm there with you as well. Just had the outdrive replaced on my ragazza for the third time in as many years. I've got the 3.0L 4 cyl and upon my boat doctor's request put a 6 cyl outdrive on it. Put the same size prop that was on it and now only gettnig 3500 wot. To top it all off it's got a cracked block from the previous owner not winterizing it correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions on why my WOT dropped from 4400 to 3500? supposidly all the ratioing was done in the upper end.Could be a couple of things, one that I believed you addressed was the gearing, but I would do a little more research as to what was put in there, comparing to what was taken out. Also, if the problem has occured since the outdrive replacement, another possibility is engine to sterndrive misalignment. This puts additional strain on the coupling, which is transfered to the engine giving lower RPM's.

Wayne

vanstee
11-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Could be a couple of things, one that I believed you addressed was the gearing, but I would do a little more research as to what was put in there, comparing to what was taken out. Also, if the problem has occured since the outdrive replacement, another possibility is engine to sterndrive misalignment. This puts additional strain on the coupling, which is transfered to the engine giving lower RPM's.

Wayne
It has happened since the outdrive was replaced. is there an easy way to check the alignment?

onesubdrvr
11-26-2004, 04:14 PM
It has happened since the outdrive was replaced. is there an easy way to check the alignment?Well, the procedure is easy enough, but there are some special tools required (I don't know what they look like even), so my recommendation would be to find a different OMC tech, and have him check it.

Wayne

vanstee
11-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Well, the procedure is easy enough, but there are some special tools required (I don't know what they look like even), so my recommendation would be to find a different OMC tech, and have him check it.

Wayne
Anyone know of a good omc tech in the northern ohio area?

onesubdrvr
11-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Hey Y'all,

Well, I spoke with my dad on Thanksgiving, and told him the story of my trials and tribulations that I encountered when I tore into the engine on the Ragazza.
He used to own a 1979 24' Formula that he had gutted and started to repair, but lost interest in. Turns out that the boat had a 350ci 260hp OMC engine / outdrive. Well, almost a year ago he traded it to a neighbor for some materials to build his barn on his new farm. Well, the neighbor still has it. The engine was supposed to run like a bat outta hell, so it may have been built up some already. Anyway, he spoke to his neighbor the other day, and the guy said I could have the engine - no charge - and that he would even help my dad yank it out! In the mean time, I've had the block welded on the 4.3l and seem to have stopped all water from getting into the engine, last thing to do to it is a tune up and exhaust bellows.
So,..... looks like I have a block to start with and a running boat, so,..... I can slowly disassemble, thouroughly inspect, and re-assemble / do performance upgrades on the engine from the Formula (doing it slowly, will not break the bank) while I still have a boat to run (although to be honest, I said I'd never have a block welded, I'll just keep a real close eye on it).

Maybe I might yet still realize my dream of a Ragazza that approaches 70mph.:bonk:
While other kids are having dreams of sugar plums this christmas, I'll be having dreams of through hull exhaust. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Will keep everyone posted, and send pics of the engine as it progresses!

Wayne

Team Jefe
11-29-2004, 03:37 PM
See...just sit back relax and good things will happen.

as far as the welded block...I ran a welded 460 Ford with Holley 850 DP for several years...ran it hard..as that is the only way I know how to run things :D .

NOT one problem, sold the truck for 5 times what I had in it (money wise) :wink:

onesubdrvr
11-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Jefe,

I guess at the point where it was welded it doesn't see that much pressure anyway what, 40-60psi tops?, and anyway, it wasn't like it was filling the crankcase as quick as I was putting water into the outdrive, probable could have done the same thing with duck tape (lol). Anyway, like I said, it I'll just keep an eye on it while I slowly build the 350.
Another question though, how concerned do I need to be about changing the gears in the lower unit? can I just change the size / pitch of the prop to compensate for the higher horsepower?

Team Jefe
12-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Sorry bud...I'm good for shoulder crying and moral support, but those "inside" marine engines are foreign to me.

I like 'em to Bolt On :lookaroun

MOP
12-02-2004, 04:36 PM
6's were geared lower than 8's, props are not much of an issue as a few manufacturers make hubs to fit most any drive with a good range of prop sizes. You should be able to find one that will work.

Phil

onesubdrvr
12-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Phil,

I never realized how many prop selections were out there!!
Should I look into changing the gearing in the drive, or just compensate for the greater HP with a larger diameter / pitch prop?

Wayne

Ernie Gibson
12-16-2004, 08:47 PM
:stan: Think you have problems, do a search on my 88 Regazza stringer problems, may end up having to part it out. Good luck..;)