PDA

View Full Version : Toys for Tots Run-Lake Harris

Cuda
11-19-2004, 10:38 PM
I think we will try to make this one. Anyone else game?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Toys For Tots Tour 2004
The S.E.H.B.A. {South Easter Hot Boat Association} wants to invite you to the worlds only boating Toys For Tots tour. This most unique event will take place on December 11, 2004. Boats will gather On Lake Harris at Hickory Point Park to await the 1:00 O’clock start. Hickory Point Park is on H-way 19 between Howey in the Hills and Tarvaries. At 12:00 noon we would like all participants to be at the ramp site at Hickory point for a briefing to go over the route and safety concerns. At exactly One O’clock the boats will start their tour to Eustis to The Crazy Gator Restaurant There the U.S. Marines will collect the toys and gifts you bring. We invite powerboats boats of all types to join the fun fishing boats runabouts jet boats, ski boats and even speedboats [no personal watercraft or jet skis, for safety reasons please]. Come on out on the Lakes to have some fun and help bring a smile to a deserving child.
For information contact Rus Matos 407 299 2427 or raceboatrus@aol.com
Please note that this event is a tour, not an outlaw race or a speed event. All participants are expected to act in accordance with the law and to act in a safe and prudent manner. Please also note that neither Rus Matos nor the S.E.H.B.A. can take responsibility for the actions or misact ions of others. All participants are responsible for there own actions.
Thank you and best wishes. Rus Matos A.K.A. RaceBoat Rus

gcarter
11-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Yes Scott.
Holiday Inn Express,3601 W. Burleigh Blvd. (US441) Tavares, FL, 352-742-1600, directly beside Dead River Vic's. $88.00 to $125.00/night, no dock facilities. Ramps are nearby. It's on that canal that meanders behind the restaurant, docking may be available there- 352-742-5000. Fuel is available at the restaurant. BTW, Crazy Gators may be an alternative to Vic's for lunch in March. Was under another name, has changed hands, improved, but always known for great burgers. :smile:

Oh yeah Scott. I've attempted to contact you several times about Perko stuff. Please email me.
:wavey:

Fish boy
11-20-2004, 03:28 PM
looking into it also, it would be a fun run.

Cuda
11-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Scott, you are welcome to stay at Chez Cuda if you like. We are about 25 miles from there.

baronmarine
11-20-2004, 05:01 PM
cuda: what boat are you going to run?

Cuda
11-20-2004, 05:34 PM
cuda: what boat are you going to run?

Depends if I get a chance to work on the Minx before then, if not, I have a full tank of 93 octane in the Formula that needs to be burned! :biggrin.:

gcarter
11-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Here's a map of the Harris Chain.
I would reccomend putting in at #7, or at Hickory Point itself (at the SE corner of Lake Harris) they may charge there, I don't know, but they have great facilities. There are also good ramps at #10, the Leesburg marina, it's just across the lake. Holiday Inn Express and D.R. Vics is approximately at the ramp symbol for #6. :)
FWIW, I live on the Western shore of Lake Griffin directly across from #1. My house is on top of a hill 80' above the lake. :cool:

http://www.lcwa.org/PublicFiles/GISRes_harris-chn-map.pdf

ChromeGorilla
11-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Joe, I plan on going. barring any unexected crap poppin up from my wife. Plus I'll get to see how to get to Mt. Dora for next sping. :) You gonna try and bring the Minx?

ChromeGorilla
11-21-2004, 11:43 PM
George, great link! Thank you very much. I now have half a clue as to where I'm goin.... :)

CrackerJack and Speedracer....you guys goin. You're close if I'm not mistaken....

florida gator
11-28-2004, 06:36 PM
If I'm not in the middle of moving, I may try to make that one. Football season is over time to start boating again.

ChromeGorilla
12-04-2004, 10:44 AM
OK all you Florida people. This is a week away now. It's a good cause and it involves boating. Lets help out the Marine Corps :flag-mari help kids for xmas. I hope to see some of ya there! :wavey: maybe I'll bust out my spandex Santa suit :eek: :spit: :yes: .....

just kidding! :D

Cuda
12-04-2004, 11:08 AM
They must be having the Toys for Tots motorcycle run near there today. Debbie is coming back from St Pete that way, and said she passed a three mile long pack of bikes headed the opposite way.

Cuda
12-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Anyone other than CG and I going? Where are you at Phil Reed and Tidbart? This is in your back yard.

ChromeGorilla
12-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Wow! Look at those sexy mofos drivin those boats! :cool: :D

Tidbart
12-05-2004, 10:31 AM
I am playing it by ear. I have to see how the week goes...If all goes well, I should be able to go.

B

Fish boy
12-05-2004, 11:30 AM
waiting on jackplate and a few other goodies. If I can get re-rigged, I will be there. Guess that makes me by ear too.

fish

Cuda
12-05-2004, 11:33 AM
I hope all of our "ear" people can make it, and I really hope the weather is just like today. Absolutely perfect. I just got back from a ride on the bike up by Deleon Springs.

ChromeGorilla
12-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Ttt :)

BUIZILLA
12-07-2004, 03:30 PM
okay, there's an outside chance I may be there as well. Picking up my new (to me) coach :cool: on Thursday in Lakeland, then to ORL area for some upfits all day on Friday. Friday night in ORL, then maybe up that way Saturday morning. Is there a good full setup campground at Hickory Park for 2 large coaches for Saturday night? or maybe in Howey or Eustis on the water? we'll have to bum a ride on someone's canoe, if we do show.. :crossfing

JH

gcarter
12-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Jim, try Fisherman's Cove, 29115 Eichelburger Rd., Tavares. 352-343-1233. They have space available this weekend. $29.00/night. This may be within one mile of Hickory Point.

BTW, I would like to have a ride too. :confused:

BUIZILLA
12-07-2004, 04:16 PM
thanx George, that property is on the water, with a boat ramp. We're scoping places to stay in the coach for Dora next year too.

JH

Speed-Racer
12-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Cuda you forgot US, we are in the same backyard..... Can I bump a ride with anybody :confused: The x18 is having some work done to it...

It's almost a SEA DOG event...

Scott, you'll be going right by my house on the way there!

I-95 S to I-4W to 46W to 441N to Leesburg :biggrin:

Tidbart
12-07-2004, 07:26 PM
What is the "toys for tots" thing? Do you bring a toy or multiple toys, new or used???
Never been to one.

B

Cuda
12-07-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure, I think you bring a new unwrapped toy. I've read about them for motorcyclers having them, and it seems a stuff toy is the norm.

baronmarine
12-07-2004, 09:36 PM
here in michigan it's any new unwrapped toy. hey cuda it's to cool of you guy's / girls for doing that.sure sounds like fun and great for the kids

onesubdrvr
12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Well,

Spoke to my sister today, her family is under the weather, so she has cancelled the b-day party for this weekend, so I'm hoping to make it, have a couple of things to do to the Rag before I can take it out though,..... Is anyone bringing a tow rope in case I break down? (first time for boat to be on water in a while!!)

Wayne
p.s. Can anyone give directions to where most people will be putting in at?

Cuda
12-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Osb, I assume you are coming up on the turnpike?

onesubdrvr
12-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Osb, I assume you are coming up on the turnpike?
Well, Tpke, I-95, either / or. I am coming from the hurricane ravaged lands of Port St. Lucie

Cuda
12-08-2004, 09:16 PM
I'm quite familiar with the hurricane damage to PSL. We were in the middle of remodeling that McDonald's between the turnpike and 95 when two of them blew through.

The best route for you would to come straight up the turnpike, and I think there is an exit on State Road 19 near Howey In The Hill off the turnpike, I'm not 100% sure of that. Take SR 19 north, you'll cross a pretty long bridge over Little Lake Harris, Hickory Point is at the foot of the bridge on your left.

gcarter
12-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Yep, Joe's right. It's the Leesburg exit. When exiting, turn left on US 27 and take the next exit on Fl 19 (it's a left turn) then it's probably 10 miles. :checkered :biggrin: :yippie:

Cuda
12-08-2004, 09:58 PM
George, I can't tell from the map, but is there an exit from the turnpike that goes directly to SR 19?

gcarter
12-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Yes Joe, the TP exit and 19 run parallel to each other. They are about 1/4 mile apart. If you are going South on 19 you go straight ahead and you are on 19. But if your going North, then you turn left on 27 and turn left again on the entrance ramp to 19 North. :yes:

Speed-Racer
12-09-2004, 04:41 PM
OOooo nooo it's gonna be cold, a high of 60 on Saturday....hmm well some of us have boated in colder weather :rolleyes:

Tidbart
12-09-2004, 05:22 PM
That will just make the water seem warmer. LOL

onesubdrvr
12-09-2004, 07:54 PM
OOooo nooo it's gonna be cold, a high of 60 on Saturday....hmm well some of us have boated in colder weather :rolleyes:Yup, I can remember more than once, going up the Thames river in Groton, Ct., in weather slightly above / below 0, then having to get wet to put vent covers on the 'ol lady

Wayne

ChromeGorilla
12-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Puttin vent covers on in feb on the Thames has got to be a biznitch! Colder than a witches.... :smileybo: in a brass bra. What boat where you on? I'm a submariner too.

Cuda
12-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Now it looks like we may not make it. I swear, maybe four times a year I'll have a date that I have something I want to do, and invariably, some crap will come up to screw me up. Today, for instance, I have a job going in Mt Dora, and started one today in Ocala. I took two of my guys to Ocala from the Dora job, and I had another guy coming up from St Pete. Well the St Pete guy never showed up, and won't answer his phone, so now I'm behind the eight ball. Then just after I figure the St Pete guy isn't coming, Debbie calls me and says she has to go to St Pete because they were putting her son in the hospital because of some boils he has. I have an appointment with the State Attorney tomorrow that I cannot change, and now I don't have Debbie to do my running tomorrow (deliver paychecks, pick up material). We have another job to start Sunday in Altomonte Springs too. The worse part is my appointment tomorrow is at 2:30, right in the middle of the day. I won't have time to get to Ocala and back before the appointement, and it will be after the banks close by the time I get there if I go after the appointment, not to mention I won't have time to go to Orlando to pick up the material for the job on Sunday. I'm basically screwed, but if I somehow work it out, I still plan on attending, hell I got the presents today.

ChromeGorilla
12-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Damn Joe.....life is supposed to mello out as you get older. I'm tired just thinking about your schedule! I hope everything works out for you. Sounds like you need some nice relaxing time on the boat! See....you played hooky the other day......just kiddin... :biggrin:

Cuda
12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Damn Joe.....life is supposed to mello out as you get older. I'm tired just thinking about your schedule! I hope everything works out for you. Sounds like you need some nice relaxing time on the boat! See....you played hooky the other day......just kiddin... :biggrin:

That's exactly why I play hooky when I can. I don't know anyone on their death bed who said they wished they'd spent more time at the office.

I'm still hoping I come up with some solution. I haven't given up. :bonk:

Cuda
12-09-2004, 10:20 PM
And just who are you calling "older"??? :mad:

;) :wink:

Fish boy
12-10-2004, 06:53 AM
And just who are you calling "older"??? :mad:

;) :wink:
oh no, yo did it now CG!! Someone is gonna get beat like a yankee in bean town. LOL :biggrin:

onesubdrvr
12-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Puttin vent covers on in feb on the Thames has got to be a biznitch! Colder than a witches.... :smileybo: in a brass bra. What boat where you on? I'm a submariner too.Cool!! Well, I was on the Richard B. Russell (west coast), the USS Columbia and the USS Dallas, yourself?

DBF
Wayne

Cuda
12-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Looks like we're going to make it after all. I blew off the job we were supposed to start Sunday. I did it because the GC still owes me $3800 for a job we FINISHED three months ago. When I called the office looking for my final payment, the girl gave me a usual runaround, so I asked her if she wanted to call the super on this job and explain why we won't be there. I called him and gave him a heads up, because I really didn't want to screw him, but I'm not throwing good money after bad.

ChromeGorilla
12-11-2004, 04:51 AM
Well it's good to see that you'll be there. I'm packing the boat now. Gotta walk the dogs and looking at a 7:30 departure. Gonna meet my buddy in St Aug. and we'll be down around 10-10:30. Gonna be brisk today! I'm bringin a fullface helmut just in case it's real chilly... :rolleyes:

gcarter
12-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Well, I tried to get to the park on time, but got tied up in some accident traffic, so I went on to Crazy Gator's.
Met up with Tidbart (Bob). CG, for some reason had come and gone. Bob and I went into the restaurant and ordered lunch and in walked cuda and Debbbi (sp?).
He's now two for two as one engine wouldn't develop any power so he put it back on the trailer and towed it to the restaurant
BTW, Crazy Gator's may be a great place for lunch for the Mt Dora event. They have a private room that should handle all of us. Bob did his duty and checked with the owner. The owner was excited to hear we were interested in coming there.
:smile:

ChromeGorilla
12-11-2004, 09:48 PM
When I got to Gators dock space was filled up so we dropped off the toys and went to Dead river Vics. Oh boy was it windy today! Was a little rough. Saw one cat at the ramp at the end of the day that appeared to have stuffed a sponson while runnin hard. It was torn wide open, glass shredded to hell.

Cuda
12-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Scott, was this the cat?

ChromeGorilla
12-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Nope not him. It was all orange.

Cuda
12-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Was it an outboard, or I/O?

ChromeGorilla
12-12-2004, 08:21 AM
O/B, cant remember if it was a single or twin

gcarter
12-12-2004, 08:24 AM
:confused: Hey CG, Bob told me about you KEY fiasco yesterday!
Pretty humiliating isn't it?

Cuda
12-12-2004, 08:53 AM
Damn George, I was going to let him ride and not turn him in for that. You just went and dry snitched him! :rolleyes: :)

Cuda
12-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Apparently, CG has a keyed lock on his battery switch. Why they would put on there is beyond me, and further more, why on earth would you ever pull the key out of it?? :cistineb:

Cuda
12-12-2004, 08:57 AM
I never take the keys out of any of my boats. If someone is going to steal them, you can bet the lack of a key won't stop them. I'm a whole lot more likely to get at a far away destination and find I left the key at home than I am to have a boat stolen.

ChromeGorilla
12-12-2004, 09:07 AM
OK OK OK I felt like a complete jacka$$. I usually attach it to the lanyard along with the ignition key so there all together. This time it just wasnt there. Got home last night and sure as :toiletpap there it was sittin on the counter top. A big thanks to Tidbart for helpin me out and jury riggin the stupid battery switch. Thanks Bob. Here is the stupid little piece of plastic we're talkin about.

ChromeGorilla
12-12-2004, 09:11 AM
The key is not able to come out of the switch box when switched on. When turned to the off position it is not retained. It will vibrate out. Thats why I take it out. I'm gonna replace it with a regular round barrel type switch. Solves this from happening again.

Cuda
12-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Tie the damn thing up in the bilge! :)

Cuda
12-12-2004, 09:15 AM
I was wondering what took so long for you to get out. I saw you had launched and was looking for you on the water.

ChromeGorilla
12-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Left my buddies house in St Aug. a litle bit late. Then his tire goes flying of on 95. We continue on and arrive around 11:30. about hour or so later than I wanted to. Launched. Go to put battery key in and shizzle... Pulled out and Bob took apart the switch box and just hard wired the cables. Then finally got to launch a little after noon. Then as soon as the motor was signing and I was playin around the lake all my worries frustrations where gone. Amazin what a day on the water will do for ya.

gcarter
12-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Well scot, If you'd stayed around yesterday, I'd of known and not spilled the beans. I really enjoyed the story Bob told me.
I enjoyed Crazy Gators, my first time to eat there. Good to know there's another place to go on the water.

Fish boy
12-12-2004, 09:53 AM
lookie whose boat is on the album cover of shots form toys for tots??

toys pics (http://www.imagestation.com/member/join_signin_prompt.html?album_id=2134241847&rf=&ru=%2Falbum%2F%3Fid%3D2134241847)

Fish boy
12-12-2004, 09:56 AM
OK, even though I found this link on another site, after looking thorugh the pics and seeing a lot of Cuda, I am guessing this is his album. great shots, even if I am a little slow.

fish

Cuda
12-12-2004, 11:11 AM
A bunch of your boys were at the start Fish, but I didn't see many at Crazy Gators. There were several on the trailer at CG. :smile:

ChromeGorilla
12-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Cuda it was nice being able to run across the lakes on plane. My buddy who was with me isn't a boater and asks me "What the hell is the point of that boat? He has to drive half on plane just to keep from getting swamped. He should stick to ponds" He was talkin about some of the smaller S/F guys....I was rollin.

Tidbart
12-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Had a great time yesterday even if it was a little rough and windy.
Thanks for having lunch with me George. I can't wait to see your boat when it is done. Let me know when you when you finish, I'd love to come up and go for a ride.

Cuda, Debbie, alway nice to see you. Better luck next time with one of your boats.

CG, what can I say, I am gettng too old to type any more. LOL

See y'all next time! (did I say that)

B

Fish boy
12-12-2004, 12:57 PM
A bunch of your boys were at the start Fish, but I didn't see many at Crazy Gators. There were several on the trailer at CG. :smile:

been watching the weather all week, decided I against it.

CG, if your friend had to ask what the point of that boat is, he probably would not understand the explanation. Lemme guess, he drives a mini van too! LOL :wink: :biggrin.:

Budmann
12-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Well I must say... our feelings are hurt. I guess the rule of thumb is "get on the site everyday or you miss out"!
Just put my boat away today cause I thought we were done.
Donzi Jodi and I would have loved to join you folks, but I guess we were not invited.

I hope next time we will be allowed to come!!! LOL :hyper:

Fish boy
12-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Well I must say... our feelings are hurt. I guess the rule of thumb is "get on the site everyday or you miss out"!
Donzi Jodi and I would have loved to join you folks, but I guess we were not invited.

you are always invited, just thought you bailed since I was not going to need a tow boat. LOL

ToonaFish
12-12-2004, 03:01 PM
...Bob took apart the switch box and just hard wired the cables.

Wow, just like McGyver!

Oh, that's right, the Gorilla is too young to remember McGyver... :wink:

ChromeGorilla
12-12-2004, 03:09 PM
LOL Toona.

Cuda
12-12-2004, 04:52 PM

Bud, it's been posted on here since Nov 19th. :) Were you there in Palatka when they had a flyer about it at the desk and we were discussing it?

Btw, there are some boaters making a run on New Years Day from the Hyatt in Sarasota to Mar Vista. Consider yourself and Jodi invited! :D