PDA

View Full Version : Carb problems

onesubdrvr
11-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Well, hello again from sunny south Florida. My boat has been sitting for a while during some carpentry work (seats / engine box), and unfortunately, I now have a problem. When running, the engine (an OMC 4.3l (1988)), It starts and run fine, but when throttling up, after about 30 seconds, the engine begins to loose RPM's then stalls. It restarts, but not as easy, after restarting, it tends to run a little rough for a minute until smoothing out. I suspect a carb. rebuild is in order, so I will start that tomorrow, any other suggestions as to other things to look for? I will also be replacing head gaskets (fun fun fun). All in a day's work to try to get back on the water Sunday.

Until later,
Wayne
ps, Hope everyone had fun at Palatka, sorry I missed it.
pps, Scott, you had mentioned in a previous post that you could introduce me to a V-6 guru to get some more power, could you help me out? Thanks!!

DonziDave
11-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Check for trash restricting the fuel line. I had the same problem. Turned out to be trash on the screen of the pick-up line in the fuel tank. Also check the little in-line filter on the side of the carb and change your fuel/water filter.
Hopes this helps.
Dave

BUIZILLA
11-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Water/condensation in the carb float bowl.

JH

smokediver
11-20-2004, 06:18 AM
I think you wanna talk to Buizilla about your motor ... I see that comp cams offers camshafts and edelbrock has a carb/cam kit for your application . If you went with the newer vortec heads , you would have to change the intake manifold as the bolt patterns and angle is different . Imco has an exhaust system , thumper power , made out of aluminium , that would take some weight out of the boat . You might get 40 more horse power by adding all that stuff. a lot of money for not a lot of power .... you might want to consider a V-8.

BUIZILLA
11-20-2004, 06:40 AM
There is no substitute for cubic inches... there is, however, a substitute for cubic dollars...

JH

MOP
11-20-2004, 09:46 AM
LOL :sombrero: :moped:

onesubdrvr
11-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Well, as of Saturday afternoon, I still haven't taken anything apart, maybe later on tonight, but thanks for the input. I'll be rebuilding the carb, replacing the head gaskets, and intake / exhaust manifold gaskets / etc.
I think this winter I am going to get a 383 block and start building it piece by piece, but, who knows,.... I'd like to have the only 70mph Ragazza out there, but

UNTIL THEN!!
LOOK!! IT'S WAYNE IN THE RAGAZZA!! (*LOL*) http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/cistinebiggrinA.gif :moped:

OH well, at least Momma and I are talking 22 Classic, but please, until then, don't point and laugh as I putt by

See ya on the water
Wayne

Pismo
11-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Something is clogging your fuel pickup in the tank, I had same problem with same symptoms.