PDA

View Full Version : trim tab selonoid bad?

smokediver
11-19-2004, 04:51 AM
My starboard tab won't work. I can hear it trying to pump but there is no fluid getting through the line . The other side works fine . They are Bennetts and I was wondering if there are 2 motors or just one in the unit . thanks in advance.

gcarter
11-19-2004, 05:31 AM
The neat thing about Bennetts is their exchange program. For less money than the hassle of chasing down the problem and buying solenoids, they'll sell you a brand new pump assembly. Just call Mr. Thomas and tell him what you need. When I got mine it was $140.00 plus shipping, including a new cover, fittings, tubing, and bracket. What a deal. :biggrin:
BTW, one motor, two solenoids. :wrench:

smokediver
11-19-2004, 05:46 AM
thanks for the info ... Gee , it is only a few years old ...

MOP
11-19-2004, 08:20 AM
George is 100% right but 95% of the time the problem is in connections or in the safety box supplied with the rocker style switch. the 4 button switch does not have the box. The other 5% a solenoid has gone bad, I see you are a salt water guy like me. It is worth the time to disconnect and clean the plug by the pump as the majority of failure is corroded connections. If you have a small box in line just before the connector plug by the pump give a tug on each wire, in salt they rot just inside the epoxy. Still have not found it send it off to Bennett. You may just surprise yourself and find the problem in a few minutes. If you are handy it is also easy to change out a solenoid, being as yours is the Stbd. tab the green wire solenoid needs changing. If you decide to change out the solenoid carefully remove its wire from the plug then unscrew it from the valve body, you should be able to find one locally. If the wire color is wrong it does not matter they are coded for only trouble shooting, the corresponding color wire will still be at the plug for future trouble shooting. A-P.S. screw it back in hand tight just like the old one was it will not leak.

Phil

smokediver
11-19-2004, 11:54 AM
thanks Phil , I will give it a try ...

hottub
11-19-2004, 12:06 PM
MOP is probably right. But call their customer service line. They are EXTREMELY helpful, knowledgeable and flexible. I had new parts (with detailed instructions, tips etc) at my house from them a couple days later, at no cost, with a note that asked me to simply return the swapped out parts in exchange. Good luck!