PDA

View Full Version : External Steering Installation Problem

Pismo
11-18-2004, 10:33 AM
I have dual ram tabs. My trim tab rams are right in the way of potential external steering rams. The top of the tab rams are right on the crank centerline and cover from 7" to 13" out from the edge of the Bravo transom assem. The normal place to mount external steering rams is 9-10" out from the tran assem edge on the crank centerline.

I'll have to mount above them I guess off the centerline or below.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

MOP
11-18-2004, 11:40 AM
It is important to mount the rams on pivot centerline, if not what happens is the trim and steering rams work against each when raising the drive putting extreme loads on the seals. You can mount butting the tab mounts with a little lose of leverage, with full power it should not be that noticeable. This is actually the case with short rams vs long rams, many have had to go to shorter rams being in the same position you are. I would get input from the manufacturer, give him the dimensions and he will give you go or no go.

Phil

Mr X
11-18-2004, 01:49 PM
As usual, MOP is right on the money, :biggrin.:
I had to use the 7" inch rams to clear my tabs.

Pismo
11-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Looks great cig, did the short rams cost you much steering throw and therefore turning ability at idle around the docks? The waterline tape is about the crank centerline like yours. Whos makes those short rams?

Mr X
11-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Looks great cig, did the short rams cost you much steering throw and therefore turning ability at idle around the docks? The waterline tape is about the crank centerline like yours. Whos makes those short rams?

It cost's no steering throw as they mount closer in.....same throw as the 8" 9" and even the 10"

Latham Marine makes them, be ready to pay BIG!

Mr X
11-18-2004, 09:20 PM
I thought the 7" rams had less travel, ergo less "throw"???
No, because they are mounted closer to the drive.
Less travel yes, same throw.........think about your RC boat, the servo arms and linkages, you know how you can move to the holes farther out on the servo arms? Same idea.