PDA

View Full Version : do i change drive or not

DAULEY
11-18-2004, 09:10 AM
i own a 1969 16 holman moody badged boat with a h/m badged drive
was woundering if i change the drive to a 275t drive with trim and tilt if that would hurt the value
all imput will be thankful and help full

MOP
11-18-2004, 12:10 PM
i own a 1969 16 holman moody badged boat with a h/m badged drive
was woundering if i change the drive to a 275t drive with trim and tilt if that would hurt the value
all imput will be thankful and help full

You will never regret having T&T, save the old parts a purist would want them. 2 cents!

Phil

Greg
11-19-2004, 09:05 AM
I'd go for the T&T. I've jumped in the water at Linn pier in Oct. too many times, just to pick up the drive and put that brace under it. Water's cold up there.

txtaz
11-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Just my opinion but if you are going for the classic value of the boat, I would keep the original drive.
We have classic cars, all original, and they bring higher values and comments than if they had been modified. I don't know how much of an impact it is in the boating world to modify a classic but I'm sure it is less than cars since it is a smaller market.
You could always swap drives and keep the original just in case.
Wes

Danny
11-19-2004, 04:20 PM
I agree with all of the above.
Is the H/M badge on the drive or the transom plate?
When you go to the 275T you are changing the transom plate to gain the hydraulics. Is your H/M drive a 270 and if the badge is on the drive I think you can change transom plate and use your HM leg.
I am just converting my 67 270 to a 280T with an edrive lower. My boat originally had a 270T but a previous owner swapped it for a 270???
I struggeled with the same originality issues.
I think that making upgrades with appropriate period equipment maintains the integrity of the boat. How many of us still have the original engine and drives.
I'm stretching this issue by putting a 280t in a 67.
Danny

mattyboy
11-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Danny,
a 67 would not have come with a 270T originally, maybe an eaton or a 200, and the answer here is what does he want to do with the boat use it or sell it??
Bow lift doesn't seem to be a problem on my 16?? trim gets you what on a 16?? if you have the right setup with a volvo mid 60's e drive maybe high 60's,you need to go to the dark side, and the short side to see Rootsy speed ;) not to mention that stock 350 of his ;)
My 250 works fine never had to set foot in the water to lift her up

Formula Jr
11-20-2004, 03:29 AM
I don't think stock motors or drives has any effect on the price of a Donzi except maybe to drive the price downward.
And that may be due to the fact that marine motors didn't get EPA snuffed as what happened with cars. I personally, would not buy a boat if it didn't have drive trim. Sea conditions change. And trying to move a freak'en pin in open water is a pain in the arse compared to a switch.

BUIZILLA
11-20-2004, 06:35 AM
Personally, I see no downside to the switch, and only a common sense upgrade. After all, you didn't cut the transom to do it..

JH

JimG
11-20-2004, 06:37 AM
Just an opinion: I would not touch it. Leave it original.

It's the simplicity I like. Just punch it and go.