PDA

View Full Version : Pre lube idea!

MOP
11-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I know from past experience and those of other that a pre luber will extend engine life dramatically, have any of you fooled with these.
I have a new 4 gph (Correction 4-6 GPM)12 volt hydraulic pump, I am thinking of using it for a pre lube pump on the 383. I feel a 4 gph pump will flow enough volume to get good pre start pressurization. I will take it off the pan, T into the in line feed through the filter to the block. I need to dope out if and where to put a check valve. Will look over a flow diagram of the block to check out my thoughts.

Phil

ALF
11-15-2004, 10:25 AM
A pre-lube tank can be made from a simple air tank found on truck air systems. (or any small tank) Available at most heavy truck parts suppliers. They have multiple fittings that adapt well to a air source, pressure gauge and bottom discharge line.
Let me know if you need more details.
Your electric pump would also work but may be weak, it's not so much the pressure that is as important as filling all oil passages and cavities before start-up so components don't run dry until oil arrives. Tapping a oil galley in the block will disperse oil in all directions, 40psi will generally supply everything.

Pismo
11-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Beech,

Do you know exactly where you could tap into an oil galley on an Gen VI 502? Own the oil pan and into where?

Thanks

Ed Donnelly
11-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Mop; The big expensive pre lubes($650++) sold in the boating mags are rated 40 psi and 3.5 GPM 15 amps at 70 degrees fluid temp. How much is your pump worth, and can you get more? All that is needed is an oilpan adapter, tee for the oil sender port, check vave and hoses. If you install a quick disconnect on the return(pressure) side, you even have an oil drain out system...Ed

Pismo
11-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Yes, this is a great idea, very simple, should not come even close to costing $650.

MOP
11-15-2004, 07:40 PM
I had to correct the post, the pump is 4-6 GPM depending on temp and fluid type. It looks more like a starter, its used for snow plows, log splitters etc. It should be more than up to the task, just need to sort out the plumbing. I installed a Fram drain kit on the pan, I may be able to use it to feed the pump. If not I will pull the pan and get a fitting welded on. Is feeding the oil back at the sender the best route or can I tap into a larger gallery.

Phil

ALF
11-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Most blocks have small pipe plugs in the oil rails on both sides. I'm not familiar with the 502 block. The oil pressure sender port is also a good location.