PDA

View Full Version : Winter project

chip w
11-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Well, I just decided what to do for a winter project. I bought my '69 Sweet 16 early last summer after it had gone through a full cosmetic restoration. The mechanicals were never really touched, so I started by rebuilding the water pump, alternator and starter. Everything seemed to be running strong, so I decided not to worry about the cosmetics of the engine and engine compartment. A few weeks ago we heard a ping and pretty bad grinding noise while running at about 3/4 throtle. Upon inspection we found that the mid-housing is cracked and the mid -bearing went. This means that the engine comes out.

While some people might be bummed out by this, I see it as a great excuse to finnish the engine compartment, clean up the engine and make sure that it's solid and basically make the inside look as good as the out. Other plans are to go through the steering, shift cable and linkage, etc.

No pictures yet, but I'll post them as we make progress. No time frame for completion, but it'll be done right.

:beer: Here's to winter projects! It's just too bad that the weather is so nice now!