PDA

View Full Version : Storage tips needed for 502 MPI

thriller
11-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Winter is here and i need a few tips for storage of my BH 22..I don't have fresh water cooling so I will drain the water from the block and manifolds but Should I fog the cylinders? The storage is indoors with temps getting around 0 Degress..But to be on the safe side I would rather winterize my baby and try doing it myself..The right way..Any suggestions for the non-mechanic type...
Thanks in advance

Uncle Fester
11-14-2004, 01:54 PM
I keep it really simple. I run on a hose until the engine is good and warm so the thermostat is open, then I shut things off and put short hose on the saddle and stick the other end in a jug of used 50/50 antifreeze saved from flushing vehicles. The fresh water pump sucks it up like a straw. I run this until I got green antifreeze coming out the exhaust and kill the engine and call it good.

I'll have 2 feet of snow on the boat here in the next month and it will stay until Feb. Never have had a problem.

Fester

MOP
11-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Fester I am a real advocate of anti freeze in the block during layup, but one thing as soon as the cool anti freeze hits the thermostat it slams shut leaving the block nearly empty. It works better to pouring it through the thermostat housing then through the manifold feed hoses. Our shop is trying something new, they are filling the fuel filter about 1/2 way with fogging oil and running them it does smoke really well. I do have some reservations about possibly mucking up the injectors, need input from Buizilla he may put the Kabosh on the idea which I will pass along!

Phil

olemissalum
11-14-2004, 03:02 PM
MOP, the factory manual tells you to fill the fuel filter 1/2 way up with 2 stroke oil and then run until it smokes. I do not know about the fogging oil but doubt it would hurt it. I used to fill my block up with antifreeze as you described throgh the thermostat housing and then the hoses, then I knew it was full!!!!

Pismo
11-14-2004, 04:53 PM
See,

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=237123

Uncle Fester
11-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Hey MOP, great point. I guess I made my post too simple too. Actually I have the antifreeze sitting next to the stove in shop when I get readdy to do this so it's probably over 100 degrees. And my container is actually about 20 gallons and I run the engine sucking the antifreeze until it's about gone (don't want to suck it dry or I'll pick up the foreign material that has settled out of the antifreeze). Temp gage and the feel of the temp of the antifreeze coming out the exhaust says it "must" be going through the entire block??? (I hope anyway)

I guess it's one of the benefits of living out in the country where we still pour motor oil on the roads to reduce dust and save our antifreeze for winterizing orchard sprayers and boats without the thought of enviromental impact.

Enviromentally incorrect - Fester

mattyboy
11-15-2004, 09:43 AM
what I do to ensure the thermo is open is get a big plastic tub like you use for a keg of beer in the summer place that behind the boat with 6 gallons of antifreeze place a low profile sump pump with an adaptor for a garden hose in the tub , then connect the hose to the flush valve start pump, when it dumps out the back start the boat the tub is big enough to catch the antifreeze dumping out of the the thru hulls and the pump recirculates it so it gets hot my boat runs at 180( on the hose it never goes above 120)
once it gets there I know antifreeze is everywhere and it has coated the engine I drain it then drain the old oil while it is warm as well
I seem to remember a board member had made y pipes out of pvc that covered the thru hulls and dumped into a 10 gallon bucket and did the same thing
the oil in the fuel filter works , I just pour it into the carb till it stalls, this year I also fogged each cyl

thriller
11-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks Men...I will do the anti freeze 50/50 thing and I will make up the pvc "Y" pipe..I like that idea...We don't see tooo extreme of a temp drop but ya never know. Better to be safe than sorry..
Thanks again..:boat:

Lenny
11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Com'on Mike. Mine is staying in the garage and I plan on using it all winter http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/orcawhale.gif

I am planning on a Christmas cruise too. I am thinking on doing that "X-mas" in Sidney lights run. Interested?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-15-2004, 07:39 PM
I think there is a Merc Service bulletin that says NOT to fog the EFI motors.
Bryan

BUIZILLA
11-15-2004, 07:55 PM
I could be very wrong here, but I see a downside to adding oil to an EFI setup, and then laying it up for a time... I wouldn't do it if it was mine.

JH

mattyboy
11-15-2004, 08:06 PM
what's efi ;)
don't think i have that option on my 69 ;)

what about fogging directly into the cyl on an efi motor??
or is that a no no too

thriller
12-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Com'on Mike. Mine is staying in the garage and I plan on using it all winter :orcawhale

I am planning on a Christmas cruise too. I am thinking on doing that "X-mas" in Sidney lights run. Interested?
:idea: :idea: :beer: :beer: :wink:

TBroccoli
12-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Why would the thermo slam shut when cool antifreeze hits it, but remains open when cold water from the garden hose hits it?

Pismo
12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
It wouldn't....It would not be any different than if water of the same temp hit it, the anitfreeze may even be warmer. Also a thermostat is not completely water tight, some always gets around into the engine. I do not agree with the concept of this whole thread, you MUST drain the engine first before you fill it with antifreeze.