PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Engine in 16 Classic

RNELEMS
11-13-2004, 07:19 PM
We had to pull the V-6 out of a 1997 16 and after much cussing and bloody knuckles my guys thought before we put it back in I should ask the experts here what secrets or tricks we should use? They are suggesting a chainsaw as a special tool:biggrin: I suggested be thankful it wasn't a V-8 but they were not amused. Seriously,what's the best method for removal and re-install?

MOP
11-13-2004, 08:29 PM
On a 16 it is easier to put in side ways with the front of the motor facing port, once below the cap rotate into position. The mounts do get in the way and should go in last, do a search on "engine alignment" it will make things go a bit easier.

Phil

Rootsy
11-13-2004, 10:21 PM
AHHHH well lets see... i can remove the V8 in my 1997 16 classic in an hour and a half flat... that includes drinking 2 cups of coffee in there somewhere... I've had the motor out or apart at least a half dozen times...

#0. REMOVE THE HATCH and shock absorber strut

#1. disconnect battery and Remove the alternator, P/S pump and bracket and fuel filter assy and belt. Disconnect fuel line at the fuel pump from fuel filter assy.

#2. Remove the exhaust manifolds and set the shift linkage out of teh way up under the deck. put a strap around the manifold riser and then hook to the chain fall and lift em out... your deck and your back will thank you.

#3. Remove the sterndrive. Remove the remote lube resevoir from motor.

#4. Unplug the wire harness from motor (you should have disconnected battery before this all began... and the sterndrive should have been in down position).

#5. Disconnect all the wiring from the starter, don't forget the 2 wires going to the trim indicators... disconnect all of the ground wires from the back of the motor and anywhere else they connect

#6. Remove the carb and get a lift plate that bolts to the intake @ carb mounting flange for a SINGLE chain connection on the top center of motor.. this simplifies things greatly

#7. Disconnect intake hose @ water inlet on intake manifold. disconnect the P/S cooler and set it aside. Disconnect all the brackets holding the intake hose to the motor on the front and @ motor mount on port side of engine.

#8. Remove the 2 bolts on the bellhousing motor mounts, remove the top nuts on each forward motor mount... DO NOT MOVE the bottom nuts... don't lose the washers and springs from the rear motor mounts.

#9. attach chain to lift plate and SLOWLY lift until the motor comes off of the front motor mount studs... pull motor forward SLIGHTLY just so teh coupler extension clears the transom plate. then rotate motor 90* CLOCKWISE as you look down on the motor.

#10. Lift her on out... straight up... you'll clear with the front motor mounts on each side by about an inch...

on my 350 it takes longer to get the danged bracketry off of the front of the motor than anything else... there is almost ZERO clearance between the front of my motor and the back seat bulkhead... i've done this enough that my wiring is now all plug and chug with sealed connectors. All of my fuel lines are now all AN fittings.

forgive me if i overlooked something the headache is killin me...

JR - she ain't comin out again unless i "blow" her :smash: :biggrin: :umbrella:

Lenny
11-13-2004, 11:29 PM
LMAO :D

Thinking of flying James out here to "play" with my mmmmmtr...

Kirk
11-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Like Jamie said....an hour and a half tops!!

Engine Crane makes life easy....my 350 removes/installs easiest with the bellhousing mounted to the drive side if that helps. Single chain to pull mounted to opposite side of heads

I could go on and on...but it's a nightmare I dont care to revisit.

KJ

RNELEMS
11-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Like Jamie said....an hour and a half tops!!

Engine Crane makes life easy....my 350 removes/installs easiest with the bellhousing mounted to the drive side if that helps. Single chain to pull mounted to opposite side of heads

I could go on and on...but it's a nightmare I dont care to revisit.

KJThanks for the help,guys. I think we made the mistake of leaving the exhaust manifolds on. It came out,but not easily. Will save the comments for future reference.Robert