PDA

View Full Version : Owen, a live-a-board here, and more than welcome I might add.

Lenny
11-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Owen, here is a pic of a local "live-a-board" here. This property belongs to the Federal Government here (Canada) and also includes a very nice Fed Gov't owned wharf and ramp. Anyways, these two fellas moved in this summer/early fall, c/w about 8 aluminum boats, (no motors on anything period) the shack, the sunken boat closest to shore and a Bayliner for storage and another 20 ' fiberglass boat for additional storage. About 12 boats in all.

Anyways, they defacate into the ocean here, the large boat goes underwater at high tide twice a day so it is just a low-tide entertaining suite, and the two guys live in the little floating shack at night.

Every log on the shoreline is gone, split and burned and anything of value in the area has long since disappeared. To the left foreground you see a ramp. That belongs, through a lease agreement with the Federal Government, to the landowners on Piers Island where my folks have a summer house. There is a locked gate to enter this compound and to open another gate that accesses this ramp.

Disgusted, the land owners on the Island put up NO Trespassing signs beside these peoples' lawn chairs and boats to give them a hint that they were not welcome. They turned them around and added more in order to show us that we were not welcome on this sandy beach anymore. Even though we have been using and paying a foreshore lease on it since 1961. Don't forget they have about 4 dogs too.

So, the landowners got together and got the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) :rolleyes: whatever :D to pursue and evict them. This is impossible because they have no jurisdiction over the land or its' use. Then we got the DOF (Department of Fisheries and Oceans) involved. No luck. Nothing they can do. Then we got the Federal Government involved only to find that that land is the property of every Canadian and they can NOT evict them.

It is quite a sight when they light the fireplace in the shack and there is no internal chimney so the smoke gathers on the cieling inside, and then leaches out through all the shingles across the entire surface of the roof. This is cartoon stuff.

Anyways, my point was, You are more than welcome to land/live/anchor/camp raise children on ANY Federal Shoreline in Canada and no one can bother you.

Enjoy :D

harbormaster
11-13-2004, 08:57 AM
I honestly would consider burning down the shack and everything they own.

1). You could also park a metal barge upwind from them with something dead like a deer, or keep a wood fire burning that has alot of wet wood on it. The continuing smoke might drive them away.

2).Oh yeah and about the dogs. I am a dog lover, but I bet if their dogs came up missing they might get the hint.

3). Know someone with a large steel hulled work boat? Have them "Lose control" and crush all their stuff up into a nice neat little pile on the shore line.

4). Find out truly who they are. They might me hiding from the law and you could turn them in.

5). Down I know a few persons who would be more than happy to have a "heart to Heart" with them. Might involve a few broken bones but I believe they will get the message.

6). Is there anything illegal where you are? You folks could always "recall" illegal actions that they did to local law enforcement.

Have you tried contacting the Canadian equivalent of your congressman?

Lenny
11-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Yes, Scot, we did. It ended up on deaf ears and then these guys went to the local paper and TV news spot and pleaded their case as to how desparate they were and we had no right in ensuing their departure and they were doing the best they could.

Best part is coming tho. In winter we see about a 2 foot increase in tide levels (raises it to a 14' spread in December) and the wind shifts and comes from the North instead of SE or SW. This high tide and direct onshore battering of waves should pretty much finish them off.

Sad thing is, this is what we have to wait/hope for.

P.S. see you at Houston Bush Airport Monday night, Nov 22nd? Continental #1763 arriving above at 7:23pm your time :D 2 hour lay-over.

harbormaster
11-13-2004, 04:42 PM
I am not sure if we will be in town. We were planning to be in Amarillo that day BUT my work may prevent us from leaving.

Formula Jr
11-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Its Okay Lenny, I not looking at the Northwest any more.. :)

tropical climes....... tropical climes.......

Mr X
11-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Gees Lenny, just keep the money from the license plate!!
I did not know times were that tough for you!!
Ted