Lenny
11-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Happy B Day Digga' !!!
:wavey: :happy_bi: :happy_bi: :beer: :beer: :happy_bi:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/odie.gif

Lenny and Deneen

ToonaFish
11-10-2004, 09:47 AM
It figures that the USMC and Broque would be born on the same day!

Trueser
11-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Happy Birthday!

Thanks for all your help with my Son.

Mike

Fish boy
11-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Happy birthday Digger!!!!! :happy_bi: :happy_bi: :happy_bi: :beer:

gcarter
11-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Yip-Yip-Yahoo!
Happy birthday Digger! :happy_bi:

catch 22
11-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Happy Birthday Digger :happy_bi: :beer:

Ed Donnelly
11-10-2004, 06:14 PM
:happy_bi: Digger :happy_bi:

nauti-props
11-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Happy Birthday Digger :party: :happy_bi: :beer:

DONZI
11-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Happy Birthday to you Digger and many more ! :wavey:
From Ken & Family

Lenny
11-10-2004, 08:13 PM
That's what we MEANT Darcy :D

http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/outtahere.gif

Digger
11-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks very much everybody. I'm always humbled by how much America loves her Corps of Marines.

I attended a birthday celebration today presided over by the Commanding General, Marine Forces Atlantic. There were a few hundred Marines gathered, a fairly sparse crowd actually, mainly due to the thousands of Marines who are forward deployed. We were all dressed up a few notches above our normal every day camouflage utility uniforms. It occurred to me today, not without a twinge of mixed emotion, that the last time I wore this uniform I was at the controls of Marine One. Every day in that capacity was a mission of enormous import, every day the expectation, always prepared for, to do everything perfectly. And every day, the expectation that we were prepared to execute contingency plans, details of which I must take to my grave, that fortunately for us all never transpired.

As I listened to the General talk, I reflected on what I do now that passes for a job. An important job in the eyes of superiors who rely on the efforts of mid level managers and leaders like myself to provide sound counsel and action to keep the wheels of this military moving. I looked around the gathered crowd and saw many relatively senior Officers just like me, some guys I vaguely recognized from days in the fleet, where we may have shared an MRE or a laugh in the field somewhere, or maybe we flew on eachothers wing. Now desk and staff bound, one and all.

The General mentioned Fallujah, and I cast a furtive glance that exposed us all, as jaws tightened, as much in respect for our comrades, contempt for our cowardly enemies, and a profound sense of guilt that we are not there.

He went on to mention something very true. Lots of folks, who are not Marines, often lament that Marines spend an awful lot of time extolling the virtues of our history, of our heroes, of battles, campaigns, and wars which figure prominently in the cadence of our predecessors. We make such a big deal of our birthday, and that no matter where we are we take time to celebrate, however simple our circumstances may permit, the passing of the anniversary of our Corps. They complain that we are a self licking ice cream cone, too myopically consumed with a self loving habit. Actually we do it for pretty simple reasons. To remember our history, our successful exploits of our past, and our heroic individuals, impresses on each and every one of us how critically important it is to never let that storied lineage down. That to fail today casts a pall over those who served before us. It makes the possibility of failing those who went before, and more to the point to let down the Marine next to us in a fighting postion or in an aircraft cockpit, an unthinkably horrible thing that we will do everything in our power to prevent.

One of our traditions at the yearly cake cutting, one that we spent better than 20 minutes carrying out this morning, just like I have witnessed 17 times before, involves who gets the first piece of cake. The guest of honor cuts the first piece of cake, using an Officer's marmaluke sword, and hands it off to his right. There, waiting to accept the plate, are two Marines. They are the youngest and oldest Marines present. Typically the youngest Marine is 18 yrs old, born well after lots of us enjoyed our first beer. He or she is sparkling new, in a uniform that still smells like cash sales and devoid of ribbons or medals, thin, muscular, ramrod straight, and terrified to be standing there. He nervously takes the first bite of cake and then passes it to the oldest Marine. This Marine is in a set of well worn but still perfectly tailored dress blues. He will not care to tell you if the waist in his trousers and blouse have been let out over the years. He is grizzled but standing as ramrod straight as his frame will allow. Typically an enlisted Marine, his sleeve is gold from shoulder to wrist with rank a time in service insignia. You all know, probably, that the Marines do not give awards away. They are never given frivolously. Neverthless, his uniform is festooned with ribbons and medals. More medals than a mexican general, we like to say. He takes a bite of cake and then he and the youngest Marine turn and shake eachothers hand, a passing of the torch if you will, and if you ever get a chance to be close enough to look into their eyes as they do this you will never forget what you see.

When the ceremony was over we headed back to our offices, where I plunked down in my swivel chair and... checked my email.

I spend more than a little time on the second computer at my desk that has access to classified material that helps me follow what is going on overseas. In an unclassified excerpt from the daily briefing of the Commanding General, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, the ranking Marine in Iraq, he mentioned the passing of the Marine Corps' birthday. This morning, in Fallujah, around 0900 local time, the loudspeakers employed by our Information Ops and psyops folks stopped broadcasting in Arabic. As the Marines advanced through the center of Fallujah, the speakers blared all three verses of the Marines Hymn.

MissRepublican
11-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Amazing and very touching story. You write incredibly well.

P.S. Matthew, I have two words for you: yum yum!
:yes:

MOP
11-10-2004, 08:42 PM
:happy_bi: :party: :beer: That and more! I wonder if that was a good move posting the photo! One of the gals will more than likely stick in the Donzi Boys Section!

MOP

Doug G
11-10-2004, 10:00 PM
:party: :happy_bi: Happy Birthday Digger. Reading this gave me goosebumps from head to toe. God Bless all of you watching out for all of us.

Doug & Jerry

ToonaFish
11-10-2004, 11:18 PM
I attended a birthday celebration today presided over by the Commanding General, Marine Forces Atlantic.

Permission to forward?

Dr. Dan
11-11-2004, 05:09 AM
:smash: Wow............... I am respectfully impressed brother!
I am speechless.......... Thanks for all you and your Brothers and Sisters have provided us and Happy Birthday!

We are indeed a very special Nation.....

I am humbled by all who serves our Nation....and Proud to be an American, Digger because of men like you who keep us all Safe, in more ways than we will all ever realize!

Doc :party:

boxy
11-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks Digger.

11/11

smokediver
11-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Oh , Poodle ... Don't be self critical about missing the 10 November date . I was on shift yesterday on the 10th . I kinda take the day off in my own little way to drop "happy birthdays" to Marines past and present . Digger , officers like yourself may never fully realize the impact that you have on your young enlisted Marines . To this day , I remeber a Col. named Charles Wilhelm .He was my CO when I was with the 11th MAU ( pre- MEU days) . This was in 1987 and sitting here today he is the one man who I measure my fire chiefs by ! Although you may not be in the thick of it all , you are shaping the minds and ideals of Marines who serve beneath you , and to me , there is no greater mission , and you are certainly up to the task . God Bless and thanks again !!!!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-11-2004, 08:24 PM
My best pal, and a great Marine!
Bryan

Bad-Tat
11-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Well said Digger!!

McGary911
11-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Happy Belated B-day Digger. I assume we're talking about the bday of the MArine corps. Hey, tha'd be cool if your bday was the same day. Very cool cake ceremony.....