PDA

View Full Version : Leather Seats Problem...Need Advice Please

Stan
11-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Ok.......I have a 89 Jaguar XJS Convertible. Somehow a cat, not mine, got inside and pissed on my beautiful soft leather seats !!!! :cussball: Well, it seems to have sat a few days and now the leather on the seats is very hard and dry. I have used a leather cleaner and conditioner but it is still hard. Any suggestions ?? Besides killing the cat ! There is no discoloration but the leather seems to have closed its pores and is hard.

A friend suggested using a blow dryer to open the pores and then use a conditioner, but I haven't tried that yet.

Stan....... :bawling:

Anyone need a dead cat !!!! :uzi:

MissRepublican
11-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Use a wet cloth to saturate the leather. It won't relax until it's wet again. Once you have it supple and flexible, use the leather cleaner and a shop vac to suck as much moisture out as you can before putting leather conditioner, and then keep rubbing it until it is mostly dry, which should keep it supple until it is completely dry.

gcarter
11-09-2004, 07:36 PM
My wife, Elaine, buys used Coach bags on eBay and restores them. I just asked her, she said to use saddle soap. This can take awhile. You use a dampened sponge and then apply the soap w/it. Expect to expend some energy. But if you could see some of the bags she has reclaimed, it's almost unbelieveable. :smash:
Additionally, she reccomended LEXOL-nf, a brand of neatsfoot formula. This is saddle stuff, Toona probably knows all about it. :)

MOP
11-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Leather does not like heat it dries it out and makes it hard, I inadvertantly left a drop light on mine and it made a rock hard spot. What I did was to apply Neats Foot oil, it took several light applications depends on how well the surface will allow it to absorb. It will have a slight not offensive odor which will go away in about a week.

Phil

ToonaFish
11-09-2004, 07:43 PM
My wife, Elaine, buys used Coach bags on eBay and restores them. I just asked her, she said to use saddle soap. This can take awhile. You use a dampened sponge and then apply the soap w/it. Expect to expend some energy. But if you could see some of the bags she has reclaimed, it's almost unbelieveable. :smash:
Additionally, she reccomended LEXOL-nf, a brand of neatsfoot formula. This is saddle stuff, Toona probably knows all about it. :)

Elaine is one smart cookie! Murphy's will do too, but oiling is the key. I would be tempted to use an enzyme cleaner first to remove the odor... nothing like driving around in a car that smells like the Atlanta Zoo!

Now, the really important question... ARE COACH BAGS REALLY A GOOD DEAL ON EBAY??? I covet one and just shudder at the prices...

gcarter
11-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Now, the really important question... ARE COACH BAGS REALLY A GOOD DEAL ON EBAY??? I covet one and just shudder at the prices...
Yes!
Just generate a search, save it and watch it for a week or two. You'll be amazed. The leather Coach uses is incredibly durable. Many times they just need to be cleaned. I think she's spent anywhere from $15.00 to $75.00. :yippie:
I've also purchased three or four new ones for her over 18 years. I would rather she play at her hobby.

Lenny
11-09-2004, 08:23 PM
:rolleyes: Leather in a car. Man, what have I been missing ???

Seems to me the duct tape is holding my seats together just fine and it doesn't bother the dog. ;)

ToonaFish
11-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Just generate a search, save it and watch it for a week or two. You'll be amazed. The leather Coach uses is incredibly durable. Many times they just need to be cleaned. I think she's spent anywhere from $15.00 to $75.00. :yippie:

Omigawd. This is worse than crack. ;)

gold-n-rod
11-09-2004, 08:45 PM
I think she's spent anywhere from $15.00 to $75.00. :yippie:
I've also purchased three or four new ones for her over 18 years. I would rather she play at her hobby.

Oh yes. Let her spend $15-75 on purses so that you can spend up to 50 times that on boats.

You are a smart cookie, George! :wink:

another Randy

gcarter
11-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Oh yes. Let her spend $15-75 on purses so that you can spend up to 50 times that on boats.

You are a smart cookie, George! :wink:

another Randy

He He He! :rlol:

:wavey:

MissRepublican
11-09-2004, 08:59 PM
The problem with cat pee is that when you get it wet, it refreshes the stench. If you don't do something to suck the liquid out of the foam underneath the leather seat, you'll smell it forever. I've used saddle soap on chaps to clean them, but only after I thoroughly hosed them down to get the cowsh*t and p*s$ out/off.

mattyboy
11-09-2004, 10:01 PM
if it were a donzi I say call built-rite

RvR
11-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Lexol cleaner and conditioner along with the neatsfoot oil George mentioned are well-respected leather care products. My son and I have both had good luck restoring leather interiors with their products however I haven’t tried the cat urine test.

Dr. Dan
11-09-2004, 10:27 PM
The problem with cat pee is that when you get it wet, it refreshes the stench. If you don't do something to suck the liquid out of the foam underneath the leather seat, you'll smell it forever. I've used saddle soap on chaps to clean them, but only after I thoroughly hosed them down to get the cowsh*t and p*s$ out/off.

:smash: Sorry I can't resist...I had this same problem with my "Practice Wife"....I can't remember if it was the hosing down that screwed it up or if it was using the Saddle Soap on someone elses chaps....? I forget...but it was a problem...and well ...Hmmm? :wavey: Anyway.....where is my Evil Twin to get me outta this anyway?

Doc :jestera:

ToonaFish
11-09-2004, 10:46 PM
If you'd had enzymes eat the problem, Doc, the sniffiness would have disappeared... :rolleyes:

MissRepublican
11-10-2004, 06:23 AM
:smash: Sorry I can't resist...I had this same problem with my "Practice Wife"....I can't remember if it was the hosing down that screwed it up or if it was using the Saddle Soap on someone elses chaps....? I forget...but it was a problem...and well ...Hmmm? :wavey: Anyway.....where is my Evil Twin to get me outta this anyway? Doc :jestera:
What in the Sam Hill is a "practice wife?"

MissRepublican
11-10-2004, 06:31 AM
If you'd had enzymes eat the problem, the sniffiness would have disappeared... :rolleyes:
My ranching/roping/riding days preceded "enzymes" masquerading as cleaning fluids. Fortunately, the cows and horses didn't care...

Dr. Dan
11-10-2004, 07:41 AM
:cool!: In my case "A Practice Wife" is one in which she makes a "Management Decision"....that does not include me!

Liz is my Real Wife........... I always say I married much better than she did! :yes:

Kinda off topic here....but we are talkin about Stinky Situations...so I guess it is some what in line?

Doc

MissRepublican
11-10-2004, 07:53 AM
If only Doc could have had enzymes eat his practice wife...

Walt. H.
11-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Practice Wife,

I was about to say; "If you have to ask you've never been married twice"! :jestera: Consider yourself lucky. :biggrin: :checkered

Practicing can be expensive! :lookaroun

Walt :checkered

Lenny
11-10-2004, 09:10 AM
What about using "Pet be gone" or "Nodor". I have always used it with puppies when they have an accident on the carpet and it works just great. The little buggers eat up everything and leave NO odor behind for future reference.

???

Barry Phillips
11-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi Stan, The best stuff I've used is Lexol, a 2 part system cleaner and conditioner. Use a damp terry cloth and don't be stingy. It was only available in saddle shops but now it's being marketed through shoe repair and auto parts stores. I recently had a leather chair dyed for my lake house and it was the first thing the leather repair guy tried. Give it a try, great stuff and you can use it on your shoes to. Good luck, the Jag XJS as nice ride that never really caught on, the XKE was just a tough act to follow, but I like it anyway.

Stan
11-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the input.

I used some saddle soap and did some scrubbing last night. I am working a small spot to see if it make a difference. So far all I can say is "damm, does cat pee have cement in it !!! " :banghead: The leather has softened up about 50 % but is stills got some hardness to it. And yes, getting it wet brings out the smell of cat piss. :bawling:

I hate :cussball: cats even more.

Stan...... :spongebob