PDA

View Full Version : trim tabs

DAULEY
11-09-2004, 05:16 PM
what size bennett trim tabs should i install in my sweet 16
thanks bob

MOP
11-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Bob mine had 12X9 but were not installed correctly and I feel the scrubbed some speed off top end. I feel on higher perf boats they should be 1/2 above the hull where mounted and 1 to 1-1/2 up at the ram end. When trimmed out if not setup up high they drag, once you are hauling you do not need them. The most important thing on a 16 is getting rid of the porpoising at cruise.

Phil

Greg
11-10-2004, 05:27 PM
I agree with Phil, I put a set of 12"X12" Bennetts on my 21' Scarab this year. Even when they are all the way off, they are still on. I think there was some discussion a while back on a different top mount that would allow the Bennetts to retract further? Thomas at Bennett would know. He is a very helpful person.
Bob, Didn't get to meet you on Geneva this year, I had kind of a brutal year for boating. Maybe next year we can grab Rodger and who ever else boats up there and do a Geneva get-together. Good luck with the tabs. Greg

Barry Phillips
11-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Hi Greg check out www.bennetttrimtabs.com/size1.htm, also contact the guys in service, there great. I have been dealing with Bennett myself in regards to a bad trim switch. I did get into a conversation with them in regards to tab sizing. One interesting point is that Bennett was puzzled as to why Donzi used the tabs they do on my big block 22. He told me that Bennett is not really in the High Performance trim tab business, he did mention K-Plains but my pockets are not that deep. He suggests Bennett's dual ram sport tabs. Again check out the above web site, Bennett has a complete application chart in terms of boat length, top speed etc. I can only speak about my 22, which I think is very trim sensitive. They do well with getting up on plain and side-to-side trim, but I would like to have more stern lift at slow cruising speeds. He suggested a retro kit that uses the same Bennett trim pump, though longer and stronger then the standard unit that is installed by Donzi. So call Bennett and chat with Tom he is pretty cool.

cigarette30
11-17-2004, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=Barry Phillips]Hi Greg check out www.bennetttrimtabs.com/size1.htm, One interesting point is that Bennett was puzzled as to why Donzi used the tabs they do on my big block 22. He told me that Bennett is not really in the High Performance trim tab business, he did mention K-Plains but my pockets are not that deep. He suggests Bennett's dual ram sport tabs.

I chose the Bennett tabs on the new 22', primarily for the simplicity of the pump, and clean installation, and they are more than adequate over the K-planes. I have had both on 22's (and still do) The dual setup, and in black, was my preference, and yes, 2,000 less.

Barry Phillips
11-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Wow Cig 30, I'm jealous a Cig and Classic 22 in your back yard.
I agree with your selection of the Bennett Sport Tabs on your 22 and Donzi should make them standard. God looking boat, both of them.

cigarette30
11-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Wow Cig 30, I'm jealous a Cig and Classic 22 in your back yard.
I agree with your selection of the Bennett Sport Tabs on your 22 and Donzi should make them standard. God looking boat, both of them.

Barry,

Thanks, my worst habit. See your from Jersey, if your ever down... call for a ride.

MOP
11-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Had to jump in one more time on this tab mounting thing, if the tabs are mounted flush with the hull water will stay attached due to what is called stiction causing drag. If you want them to run clean and not to produce drag they must be mounted slightly above the the hull to allow the water to cleanly break free. The kits for the rams do help but will not provide the same overall speed benefits.

Phil