PDA

View Full Version : My Donzi with a new paint job.

Sierra
11-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Here are some pics from my Donzi restoration. More update to follow.

R.J. Sierra

kjly63
11-08-2004, 07:12 PM
:yes: Looks great.............what paint did you use? And is the boot stipe painted also?

Ken

Sierra
11-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Ken the paint is Vived Red from Awlgrip 2000 and yes the strip is pained.

Ricardo

Magicallbill
11-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Looking at the cool red hull begs my question..
Is it better to paint or Gelcoat a restored boat? As I've posted previously, I am having a '68 '16 re-done,and I've heard pros&cons both ways.
So, which version has the better shine&finish?
Also, which version is the most easily repairable when it gets nicked or scratched?
I've also heard gel takes longer and is more expensive. Is it worth the extra cash&time&man hours?
Ever since my 1st ride in the early 70's I've been a Donzi fan. I've said this in previous posts, but it's great to be able to go to a site for "All Things Donzi."
You all seem like cool people. Nice balance of comedy,tech stuff,pics and friendships built thru a common cause. One of these days, I'll make a get-together&meet some of you. Take care,
Bill

gcarter
11-09-2004, 06:09 AM
Then there's the consideration that what you put on top and sides may not be the same as the bottom. :cool:

Trueser
11-09-2004, 08:01 AM
So George,
What would you do on the top side?

Mike

gcarter
11-09-2004, 08:43 AM
I painted mine. IMHO, modern paint products are extremely durable and actually hold up better than gel as far as oxidation goes, i.e. they stay shinier with less maintenance.

Morgan's Cloud
11-09-2004, 09:19 AM
I painted mine. IMHO, modern paint products are extremely durable and actually hold up better than gel as far as oxidation goes, i.e. they stay shinier with less maintenance.

After 17 years with NO inside storage the Awlgripped topsides on the St T. still looked 'wet' !

.. Ricardo , Is that a Hornet or a St Tropez ?,The latter would be nice ... :biggrin:

Steve

MOP
11-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Alwgrip and a few others have proved to be great products, but painting bottoms is iffy to say the least. It works well on trailered boats, but if left in the water for extended periods they blister. The same issue comes up with shrink wrap, we have had several blister the paint that left the shrink wrap on into the warmer weather which I feel drove the moisture into the paint. The wrap must come off early spring while its still pretty chilly then no problem, both the colored or clear wraps both wreck the paint when left in the warm sun to long.

Phil

Sierra
11-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Steve it is a 66 St Tropez. It was dark blue before, the one on the model regestry for the Tropez.

She was red gel and the white stripe.

Ricardo

Morgan's Cloud
11-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Mine's a 66 too .. at least that was what the guy I bought it from said... I am unable to find a HIN anywhere and if you could see how stripped and gutted this thing is now you know if there was one I would have found it !.. Mine was also blue originally ..
Lots more pics would be nice .. what has this job entailed ?

ps .. what Phil says above about covering painted boats is very true , but not found out by most untill it is too late .
BEWARE !

Steve

kjly63
11-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Ricardo,

I also used Awlgrip 2000 on mine. Did you clear over the color? Mine came out really good considering the conditions and cold climate when I did it in my garage last winter and seems to be holding up well after 1 season. I do keep it on a lift which you probably should also consider; or trailering.......don't want a blister problem.

Keep the pic's coming....looks great :hyper:

Ken

Sierra
11-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Steve after all was said and done we found that the gel was red. That's why is back to the original color (or as close as possible). And no we did not fine any numbers.

Ken thank for the head up, but I have to trailer no water front.

Ricardo

Sierra
11-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Oh Ken no clear.

yesyoucan
11-21-2004, 06:55 PM
I read your old post about Awlgrip 2000.Where can I find application procedure on the 2000? I am restoring a 67 16.
Bottom has been sand blasted and covered with thickened epoxy.I am starting to fair the bottom.Does Awlgrip recommend a primer?

Sierra
11-23-2004, 05:40 PM
I do not know the procedure but I will try to find out for you.

Ricardo

rustnrot
12-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Regarding so-called "topsides" paint (2 parters) and using it on the bottoms. I realize that manufacturers do not recommend products like Awlgrip and Sterling-Detco for bottoms as they will blister if left in the water "too long". But what about the trailered boat that is sitting on wet carpet bunks?? Awlgrip even frowns against this. Does anyone have this problem with a painted boat?

Furthermore, I am at the low end of the paint learning curve but there appears to be 2-part polyesters (Sterling-Detco), also 2-part acrylics and 2-part epoxy paints. Which of the aforementioned ones would be the best to use on a boat, that frankly, the most time it will spend in the water continuously each year in the water will be during the Mt. Dora boat show?

As a generalization, what are the "Imrons", are they a 2-part acrylic or ??. Would a 2-part epoxy be more "water immersion" friendly?

I and yesyoucan are talking about the same 16' 1967 v-drive. We hope to have it ready for Mt. Dora.